The Student Room Group

AQA CHEM5 A2 Chemistry - 19th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1460
Original post by Az_016
Hey, sorry for bothering you again but what's the product formed when excess ammonia reacts with aluminium and what's it's colour? Thanks

Hi there! No bother- I like helping people- it helps me revise too :biggrin:

Again: CGP is ambiguous here because it simply states 'No Change', but in actual fact:

[Al(H2O)6]3+ as a solution by itself is colourless.

adding dil. NH3(aq) we get Al(H2O)(OH)3(s) which is a white precipitate

adding XS NH3(aq) we get [Al(H20)2(OH)4]-(aq) which is slightly soluble and therefore forms a colourless solution if fully dissolved in water.

Hope this helps! :smile:
Original post by MrMeep2580
In xs of ammonia i swear its green soln? we did a test for it because the text book was wrong....?

From what i have been taught its definately purple!
Iron II is the only one we have to learn about which is green sol. with XS NH3
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by WesleyT
Hi there! No bother- I like helping people- it helps me revise too :biggrin:

Again: CGP is ambiguous here because it simply states 'No Change', but in actual fact:

[Al(H2O)6]3+ as a solution by itself is colourless.

adding dil. NH3(aq) we get Al(H2O)(OH)3(s) which is a white precipitate

adding XS NH3(aq) we get [Al(H20)2(OH)4]-(aq) which is slightly soluble and therefore forms a colourless solution if fully dissolved in water.

I thought that this was only for XS OH-?? I've got it written down that XS NH3 has no effect on Al ??
Original post by Lucy-1995
I think so because the ionisation enthalpy is: the enthalpy change when one mole of electrons are removed from one mole of gaseous atoms.

So they have to be gaseous thus enthalpy of atomisation has to occur first :smile:

sorry I didn't make myself clear, I meant for the element that would undergoing electron affinity. Does it make a difference if the all the enthalpy of atomisation first for both elements and then the ionisation energy and then the electron affinity. I'm not entirely sure if I'm making myself clear..
When calculating a missing value from a born-haber cycle, what is the relationship between the LHS and RHS? I always get a bit confused what to add, what to change its arrow (- to + etc.) etc.
Original post by crc290
[CoCl4]2- is blue
[CuCl4]2- is yellow

Those are the only two we need to know

Original post by itssochaotic
ohh yeah, the definition in the textbook says something about water molecules, and the markscheme says do not allow any mention of water molecules..FFS. made me distrustful of all the other standard definitions :/

as for the chlorine complexes, ive learnt [CoCl4]2- as blue solution
[CuCl4]2- as yellow green solution. and they match up to mark scheme answers.

Thank you kindly!

Apparently AQA Biology was a bit of a tricksy one today. Wonder what new bit of chemistry they can throw at us on wednesday...
Could someone please tell me topics we need to synoptically for this unit. Do we need to know all unit 1 and 2?
Original post by starfish232
sorry I didn't make myself clear, I meant for the element that would undergoing electron affinity. Does it make a difference if the all the enthalpy of atomisation first for both elements and then the ionisation energy and then the electron affinity. I'm not entirely sure if I'm making myself clear..

Haha i think i get what you mean but not too sure :P

But yeah so you have to do atomisation first coz its gaseous. Then ionisation because you have to have that electron before you can do electron affinity.. if that was what you meant? :P
Original post by flyylikejetz
Just reverse your knowledge of the colour of the compounds so if it says its yellow then you know its the CrO42- ? is this what you mean

As in Ion X is green, identify the ion.
I think I'm overcomplicating things, if a question on chorium comes up I'll just try to identify the more clearer colours because transition metals usually come up in reaction schemes rather than simply on their own. Thanks for the help though :smile:
Can someone please give me the definition for an amphoteric substance? I know it's something that redissolves in XS base but I think I would have to put something else in the exam
Reply 1470
Original post by Sherlockedd
I thought that this was only for XS OH-?? I've got it written down that XS NH3 has no effect on Al ??

Yes XS NH3 is the same for XS OH- but it is only slightly soluble with XS NH3, so much so that some text books list it as 'no change', but in fact with a lot of NH3 we do find that some of the [Al(H20)2(OH)4]-(aq) does dissolve.

I didn't believe it at first either, but my teacher proved it to our class :biggrin:

Original post by Lucy-1995
Hydration - Enthalpy change when one mole of gaseous molecules or ion is dissolved in sufficient water to produce an infinitely dilute solution.

Solution - Enthalpy change when one mole of a compound is dissolved in sufficient solute to produce a solution in which the ions are far enough apart so as not to react.

From memory that's what it said in the text book i got them from but mark schemes seem to vary on it :s-smilie: if anybody has any more concise definitions that would be good haha

for the solution 1 dont you have to mention the formation of aqueous ions?
Original post by cuckoo99
for the solution 1 dont you have to mention the formation of aqueous ions?

I'm not sure that's just what it says in the nelson thornes book:unsure:
hey guys. When drawing complexes out, do we used a double headed arrow to represent the co-ordinate bond? In the Jan 13 mark scheme, the diagrams just had a normal line, no double headed arrow.

I know that double headed arrows represent co-ordinate bond, and straight line represents covalent bond
When doing born-haber cycles for a group 2 element, how would you write the different equations for electron affinity ?
Original post by edward28
Hey I am a little confused on lattice enthalpies. In AQA book in chapter 12 it says when there is covalent characters in the ionic bond it increases the lattice formation enthalpy. But then in chapter 13 it says Aluminum oxide has a lower melting point because of the extra covalent bonds it has. I am so confused:frown::frown::frown:

Anyone?? I am really confused :frown:
If anyone has done jan 2013 paper can THEY PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE HELP ME WITH QUESTION 1 c i dont seem to understand it :s
Original post by 16dan2life
hey guys. When drawing complexes out, do we used a double headed arrow to represent the co-ordinate bond? In the Jan 13 mark scheme, the diagrams just had a normal line, no double headed arrow.

I know that double headed arrows represent co-ordinate bond, and straight line represents covalent bond

Would have thought double head - says in the book that ligands form coordinate bonds with the transition metal ion
Original post by RachelG_
Would have thought double head - says in the book that ligands form coordinate bonds with the transition metal ion

Same, but there is no mention of it on the Jan 13 mark scheme :confused:
1c jan 2013 paper can anyone explain it please

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending