The Student Room Group

AQA CHEM5 A2 Chemistry - 19th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1960
Can anyone explain how the equation in question 3 (c) has been rearranged to find T.... it's been a while since I've done proper maths!! ImageUploadedByStudent Room1371579202.703766.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
MgO how is it sparingly soluble in water? surely it forms Mg(OH)2
June 2012
Reply 1962
Original post by xodani
Can anyone help with June 2011 3ai) Why is the answer -38 and not -76?

It says formation of one mole of NH3 not 2.
Reply 1963
Original post by Ren_9
Can anyone explain how the equation in question 3 (c) has been rearranged to find T.... it's been a while since I've done proper maths!! ImageUploadedByStudent Room1371579202.703766.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

They've just collected the terms with T on one side and the terms with no T on the other.
Reply 1964
Original post by xodani
Can anyone help with June 2011 3ai) Why is the answer -38 and not -76?

You have to calculate it per mol. Just divide your answer by 2 since two mols of ammonia is produced

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1965
Original post by jqian
It says formation of one mole of NH3 not 2.

Ah how silly of me! Thank you very much :smile:
can some one please tell me whether to use (products - reactants) and (reactants - products) when calculating enthalpy change. Thanks in advance.
Reply 1967
Original post by jqian
They've just collected the terms with T on one side and the terms with no T on the other.

I don't mean to be annoying but if you take T to the other side wouldn't it just cancell out (Eg -T+T=0 ) ?? *confused*

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1968
Original post by tilownii
Why does it say purple or yellow in January 2013:frown::s-smilie:

oh crap, my mistake. [Fe(H2O)6]3+ IS yellow, just all the complexes it makes are brown :colondollar:
Reply 1969
Original post by darryalar
can some one please tell me whether to use (products - reactants) and (reactants - products) when calculating enthalpy change. Thanks in advance.

If you're given enthalpy of combustion data, use reactants - products (use cr'a'p, combustion reactants- products).
If you're given enthalpy of formation use products - reactants.
If you're given the bond enthalpies then you use sum of the bonds broken (i.e. the reactants) - the sum of the bonds formed (the products).
Whew, done 7 past papers today (everything besides the specimen). This is like my third time going through them so I think I'm just about as ready as I'll ever be...

Probably just going to go over random questions for the next couple of hours.

How is everyone feeling about tomorrow?
Can anyone give me the equation for when H202 is used as an oxidising agent? Thanks
Reply 1972
Original post by Ren_9
I don't mean to be annoying but if you take T to the other side wouldn't it just cancell out (Eg -T+T=0 ) ?? *confused*

Posted from TSR Mobile

On the left hand side you have -542.6T, on the right hand side you have -15.2T, if you add 542.6T to both sides the left hand side now has no T terms as -542.6T + 542.6T = 0T = 0. The right hand side becomes -15.2T + 542.6T which is 527.4T.
Reply 1973
Original post by JamilMCR
Can anyone give me the equation for when H202 is used as an oxidising agent? Thanks

H2O2 + 2e- --> 2OH-
Reply 1974
Original post by examgirl
How do you balance/write an equation for pottasium manganate and hydrogen peroxide. Please help x

Someone please xx
Original post by jqian
If you're given enthalpy of combustion data, use reactants - products (use cr'a'p, combustion reactants- products).
If you're given enthalpy of formation use products - reactants.
If you're given the bond enthalpies then you use sum of the bonds broken (i.e. the reactants) - the sum of the bonds formed (the products).

Just what i wanted, many thanks.
Reply 1976
Guys has anyone got the jan13 paper and mark scheme?

Original post by jon510
Guys has anyone got the jan13 paper and mark scheme?

someone previously posted it, here you go:http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2283222&page=15&p=42254412#post42254412
Original post by darryalar

For enthalpy change: reactants - products

for enthalpy of formation: products - reactants
for entropy change: products - reactants
Can someone please explain to me when to put Pt on cell representations :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending