Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hello
    Would it be possible for you to tell me what the cut off point is for the UKCAT?
    And do you rely heavily on the UKCAT score - i.e if you don't get below a certain score there is no point in applying?
    Also, what do you think I should be doing now to prepare for a medicine interview at Kings?
    Thanks very much
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi Student1996,

Thank you for your questions. UKCAT registration opens on the 1st May - for more details please see their website.

Your UKCAT scores is considered in our selection for interview however they will not be the sole indicator for selection. They will be balanced against achievement in other areas, in particular your academic performance to date.
    There is no universal 'cut off' score for the UKCAT when applying for 2014 entry. For example, if an applicant has an excellent academic background then the test scores will play a less significant part in selection. For those with weaker academic backgrounds (relative to our overall applicant pool), the scores will become more important. An applicant who may not normally be considered on academic grounds could be invited to interview on the strength of strong UKCAT scores that may indicate potential. As a guide for applicants, for 2012/3 entry, most applicants invited for interview had scored at least 695.

For preparing for your interview at King's here are a few tips!
    The aim of the interview is to assess your personal qualities and to find out whether you have the potential to become a successful member of the medical profession. In this context, strong interpersonal and communication skills are most important, particularly when you consider the relationships which medical professionals need to build with their patients.

It is also a good idea to check out our online prospectus which gives more details for what King's are looking for in students.

For example -
    General activities/interests (Very Desirable)
    We look for applicants who not only have interests but may have also achieved in these areas eg music, sport, first aid, etc.
    Work shadowing/observation (Very Desirable)
    We would normally expect that applicants will have undertaken some voluntary work experience in a caring/health environment and/or observation in a medical clinical setting. It is important for applicants to have a realistic appreciation of what a career as a health professional involves.
    Paid or voluntary work (Very Desirable)
    Any voluntary contribution to your community is taken into account, eg volunteer in a care home. We look for evidence that you have worked in a setting where you can interact with the general public eg in a pharmacy, check-out or restaurant.

A lot of information - we hope it all helps!
    Thank you for your questions and we wish you the best of luck

ReputationRep:
    Hello

Thank you very much for your response to my message, I appreciate it!
    I have volunteered in a care home and a charity shop, but i'm afraid i've only had two weeks of work experience in a hospital - is this enough?

Student1996
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi Student 1996,

It is fantastic that you have volunteered already at a care home and a charity shop! Regarding your work experience in hospital - every bit counts. Combined with your studies, non-academic activities and volunteering - you must very busy. Just do as much as you can and remember to include it in your application

Good luck

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.