Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I'm studying A2 AQA English language B.

I just want to know whether it would be possible for me to get an A*.

At AS I got 163/200 which is just over the A boundary.

For the January 2013 exam I got 106/120 which equates to about 88%.

We are doing our coursework now which has to be in by Easter. The mark for this is out of 80.

So the total A Level is out of 400, for which the A* requires 360/400. At the moment, my total UMS obtained is 269, so even if I manage to get full marks for coursework (which I'm doubtful) I would still be 11 UMS off the A*.

But then in our school planner it states that to get the A* we must average 80% over AS + A2 (which I have so far) and 90% over A2. For an average of 90% at A2 I would need at least 72/80 in coursework which I think would be achievable for me.

So how does this A* business work? because if I average 90% at A2 I will still not have 360/400 for the total A Level.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    For an A* you need an A grade (80%) across the whole two years, plus 90% UMS in your A2. You don't necessarily need 90% across the whole A level.

Since you got 106/120 in your first exam you would need 74/80 in your coursework to get an A* (assuming you don't have another exam in the summer?) - this would total 180/200 for the second year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Theflyingbarney)
    For an A* you need an A grade (80%) across the whole two years, plus 90% UMS in your A2. You don't necessarily need 90% across the whole A level.

Since you got 106/120 in your first exam you would need 74/80 in your coursework to get an A* (assuming you don't have another exam in the summer?) - this would total 180/200 for the second year.
    Thank you very much! I didn't think it would be possible for me to get an A*.

So I don't need 360/400 overall? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kimsiclez)
    Thank you very much! I didn't think it would be possible for me to get an A*.

So I don't need 360/400 overall? Thanks!
    No you don't, strange as it is. Good luck!

Poll
Which pet is the best?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.