Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

For my Chemistry January module I got an A which I'm pleased about. However, the UMS is a very low A (74/90) and I would've preferred higher. I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are on retaking low A's. Essentially, these results (and June's) affect the predicted grades that are sent on your UCAS application so I figured that trying to get as high grades as possible would be fairly important. On the other hand, if I was going to apply to a University like Cambridge, would they disapprove of this? I also have to consider the large amount of exams I'm going to taking in June anyway (7 I think).

I felt that the exam went well, one of my strongest, yet it turned out to be my worst. However, I am still fairly certain that the Unit 1 module (OCR) isn't that difficult and so I wouldn't think that too much revision would be required if I did decide to retake.

The retake deadline is Wednesday and I would appreciate any advice anyone could give me.

Thanks,
    Dan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanKeitley)
    Hi guys,

For my Chemistry January module I got an A which I'm pleased about. However, the UMS is a very low A (74/90) and I would've preferred higher. I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are on retaking low A's. Essentially, these results (and June's) affect the predicted grades that are sent on your UCAS application so I figured that trying to get as high grades as possible would be fairly important. On the other hand, if I was going to apply to a University like Cambridge, would they disapprove of this? I also have to consider the large amount of exams I'm going to taking in June anyway (7 I think).

I felt that the exam went well, one of my strongest, yet it turned out to be my worst. However, I am still fairly certain that the Unit 1 module (OCR) isn't that difficult and so I wouldn't think that too much revision would be required if I did decide to retake.

The retake deadline is Wednesday and I would appreciate any advice anyone could give me.

Thanks,
    Dan
    Don't bother lol. It's not significant if you're confident in getting A's in the other modules

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

Thanks,
    Dan
    I wouldn't. Simply because a much improved UMS in the second module would indicate that it was just a bad day. If it is that you don't improve by much and mess up the second one it could be worse for you than simply concentrating on the second one and aceing that!

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

Thanks,
    Dan
    Firstly, congrats on the A! Even if it is a low A it doesn't matter! As long as it's an A! The best thing to do is NOT re-sit and focus on the next chemistry exam and try and get well into an A. This would be a safer option as focussing on two chemistry exams could hinder your performance in other subjects. Also it doesn't really affect your predictions as I unfortunately achieved a D in psychology and my teacher was happy to predict me B. Good to see you're thinking ahead though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by user1111)
    Don't bother lol. It's not significant if you're confident in getting A's in the other modules
    I guess so. I'm sounding really ambitious here but does this prevent me from being able to get an A* at A2?

(Original post by Rainingshame)
    I wouldn't. Simply because a much improved UMS in the second module would indicate that it was just a bad day. If it is that you don't improve by much and mess up the second one it could be worse for you than simply concentrating on the second one and aceing that!
    Because these were the first exams I've taken at my new school, I did feel slightly uncomfortable being in a different exam room etc. I have study leave for the June exams so I'll have more time to focus on the unit 2

(Original post by lukesmith94)
    Firstly, congrats on the A! Even if it is a low A it doesn't matter! As long as it's an A! The best thing to do is NOT re-sit and focus on the next chemistry exam and try and get well into an A. This would be a safer option as focussing on two chemistry exams could hinder your performance in other subjects. Also it doesn't really affect your predictions as I unfortunately achieved a D in psychology and my teacher was happy to predict me B. Good to see you're thinking ahead though!
    Thanks very much! Yeah, I have a good relationship with my Chemistry teacher so I think she would be happy to raise my predictions if I asked I just thought that being the easiest exams, if I was going to retake any, this one would the best time to retake. However, if I didn't retake it would sort of prepare for me for what's coming next year with the linear exams with no retakes etc.

ReputationRep:
    I think you should just try harder in your other modules; you'll avoid more stress and will have more time to spend revising on the other topics.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=DanKeitley;41752659]I guess so. I'm sounding really ambitious here but does this prevent me from being able to get an A* at A2?

Not at all. To get an A* you have to get an average of 90% in your A2 modules and an average of 80% in AS + A2 modules. Ambition is good, keep it up. I wish you luck in your studies!

ReputationRep:
    I guess so. I'm sounding really ambitious here but does this prevent me from being able to get an A* at A2?

Thanks very much! Yeah, I have a good relationship with my Chemistry teacher so I think she would be happy to raise my predictions if I asked I just thought that being the easiest exams, if I was going to retake any, this one would the best time to retake. However, if I didn't retake it would sort of prepare for me for what's coming next year with the linear exams with no retakes etc.
    No it doesn't, you need 80% (A) of the total UMS in year 12 and 90% of the total UMS in year 13 to get an A*.

Ahh well you'll be fine then! I forgot about the liner what not but even so, I really don't think it would be of any use to re-sit even if you want the A* cause you're on track! Just carry on getting A's and you'll be fine! Good luck in whatever you choose

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the same situation, same exam (OCR F321). I got 79/90 and I'm obviously happy it's an A but at the same time, a tiny bit disappointed because I got 100% on two of the past papers in the week before the exam so 79 doesn't seem like the best I could've done. I blame the grade boundaries - for this paper they were around 5 marks higher than the average for previous January papers!

I think resitting would be pointless without putting in as much revision as the first time around and I worked fairly hard for January. I really don't want to screw up unit 2 because I'm spending time on unit 1 again.

I mentioned all this to my chemistry teacher and she told me I was mental to be thinking about retaking an A, and that it won't affect getting an A* next year as long as the UMS for my unit 2 is good. Overall I've decided if it's really bothering me next year I'll retake it then, but I'm focusing on unit 2 for now.

ReputationRep:
    If you're definitely planning on applying to Cambridge, then you should re-sit. Cambridge look specifically at UMS in AS exams, and use this to choose who to interview. They'll normally reject anyone who doesn't have a UMS of over 90%, and I've heard that the average is around 95% for all applicants, although this could obviously be a rumour. I do know that my friend who was interviewed at Cambridge got asked during the interview why her French grade was so low (I think it was around 85%), despite getting 100% UMS in another subject, and a 95% ish in the other. This isn't to try and scare you, I just don't want you to be disappointed if you set your heart on Cambridge and then it turns out there's not a lot of point in applying. Of course, you could always apply to Oxford if it came to it, depending on what subject you're looking at.

Other than that, I wouldn't retake if you're confident you can get an A in the summer. Remember that you thought the exam went really well, so extra revision and different exam questions are not likely to boost you grade, since it seems that you were pretty confident the first time round. There's not a lot of point if it takes away from your other exams.

I would also suggest talking to your teacher about how they make grade predictions next year - some teachers/schools are quiet lenient, but you might want to ask how well the AS performance needs to be if you're hoping to be predicted an A*.

Hope this helped!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rosaknows)
    I think you should just try harder in your other modules; you'll avoid more stress and will have more time to spend revising on the other topics.
    Ok, thanks for the advice

(Original post by user1111)
    Not at all. To get an A* you have to get an average of 90% in your A2 modules and an average of 80% in AS + A2 modules. Ambition is good, keep it up. I wish you luck in your studies!
    Oh ok, is that the same for all A levels? Thanks a lot, you too!

(Original post by lukesmith94)
    No it doesn't, you need 80% (A) of the total UMS in year 12 and 90% of the total UMS in year 13 to get an A*.

Ahh well you'll be fine then! I forgot about the liner what not but even so, I really don't think it would be of any use to re-sit even if you want the A* cause you're on track! Just carry on getting A's and you'll be fine! Good luck in whatever you choose
    Ok, I think my decision has been made clear to me Thanks, and you!

(Original post by sessess)
    I'm in the same situation, same exam (OCR F321). I got 79/90 and I'm obviously happy it's an A but at the same time, a tiny bit disappointed because I got 100% on two of the past papers in the week before the exam so 79 doesn't seem like the best I could've done. I blame the grade boundaries - for this paper they were around 5 marks higher than the average for previous January papers!

I think resitting would be pointless without putting in as much revision as the first time around and I worked fairly hard for January. I really don't want to screw up unit 2 because I'm spending time on unit 1 again.

I mentioned all this to my chemistry teacher and she told me I was mental to be thinking about retaking an A, and that it won't affect getting an A* next year as long as the UMS for my unit 2 is good. Overall I've decided if it's really bothering me next year I'll retake it then, but I'm focusing on unit 2 for now.
    Yeah, I did the exact same as you. I'm not finding unit 2 bad except the 'wishy washy' environmental, pollution type chapters haha, so I'm hoping to do well in the exam Thanks for your advice!

ReputationRep:
    Ok, thanks for the advice

Oh ok, is that the same for all A levels? Thanks a lot, you too!

Ok, I think my decision has been made clear to me Thanks, and you!

Yeah, I did the exact same as you. I'm not finding unit 2 bad except the 'wishy washy' environmental, pollution type chapters haha, so I'm hoping to do well in the exam Thanks for your advice!
    Yeah, it applies to all A levels. My pleasure.

ReputationRep:
    If the rest of your class flopped then prepare to get a lot of hate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roflcakes1)
    If you're definitely planning on applying to Cambridge, then you should re-sit. Cambridge look specifically at UMS in AS exams, and use this to choose who to interview. They'll normally reject anyone who doesn't have a UMS of over 90%, and I've heard that the average is around 95% for all applicants, although this could obviously be a rumour. I do know that my friend who was interviewed at Cambridge got asked during the interview why her French grade was so low (I think it was around 85%), despite getting 100% UMS in another subject, and a 95% ish in the other. This isn't to try and scare you, I just don't want you to be disappointed if you set your heart on Cambridge and then it turns out there's not a lot of point in applying. Of course, you could always apply to Oxford if it came to it, depending on what subject you're looking at.

Other than that, I wouldn't retake if you're confident you can get an A in the summer. Remember that you thought the exam went really well, so extra revision and different exam questions are not likely to boost you grade, since it seems that you were pretty confident the first time round. There's not a lot of point if it takes away from your other exams.

I would also suggest talking to your teacher about how they make grade predictions next year - some teachers/schools are quiet lenient, but you might want to ask how well the AS performance needs to be if you're hoping to be predicted an A*.

Hope this helped!
    My decision whether to retake would've been settled if it were not for this comment haha. I think I would like to apply to Cambridge. I've been accepted to the Magdalene college science residential and have lots of extracurricular involvement so I feel I have some chance at least. However, if what you say is true, maybe I should consider dropping Chemistry at AS.... After all, I want to study Computer Science and I fulfilled those demands in my other exams (Physics, Maths/Further Maths and Biology).

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.