Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Am currently in year 11 and am struggling to choose my A-levels. I enjoy maths and am workibg on an A/A* at gcse; thus ill pick this.

Anyone doing geography can you tell me the rate of difficulty of the subject. Is it worth picking?

I got an A in biology gcse. However i have heard its really hard. Should i pick it or pick psychology. Please can someone give me some information about the coursework too. Where can i see a sample from?

Finally how hard is economics and is it a good subject?

I am a person working on A's, who dislikes reading, english is my current worse subject and i have never tried economics before.

I need URGENT help about my choices!!!!

Thanks in advance

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Can someone give me some ideas!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    do you know what you want to do when you're older?

I currently do economics. There is not much maths alongside it and thus is basically an essay subject. I found it pretty hard to begin with because there was so many new concepts and theories to learn and it took me longer than I thought to be able to apply it. However, with practice and time you tend to get better and as long as you can apply the theories to the question, explain and then evaluate it then you're going to be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yagmurgokhan)
    Am currently in year 11 and am struggling to choose my A-levels. I enjoy maths and am workibg on an A/A* at gcse; thus ill pick this.

Anyone doing geography can you tell me the rate of difficulty of the subject. Is it worth picking?

I got an A in biology gcse. However i have heard its really hard. Should i pick it or pick psychology. Please can someone give me some information about the coursework too. Where can i see a sample from?

I am a person working on A's, who dislikes reading, english is my current worse subject and i have never tried economics before.

Thanks in advance

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do not pick Psychology if you dislike reading. It involves a lot of reading! An A in Biology should offer suitable foundation for AS study, so go for that - it's very respected and you seem to have an aptitude for it.

I'm afraid I can't tell you the difficulty of Geography or Economics. However, don't pick A-Levels based on how "easy" they are - traditional and respected subjects such as Geography, History, Maths, Economics, etc. will be undoubtedly difficult, but as long as you put the work in, you'll be fine!

From what I have heard, Economics and Geography are relatively enjoyable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yagmurgokhanlo)
    Am currently in year 11 and am struggling to choose my A-levels.. enjoy maths and am workibg on an A/A* at gcse; thus ill pick this.

Anyone doing geography can you tell me the rate of dasifficulty of the subject. Is it worth picking?

Thanks in advance

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I am currently in year 13, doing biology, psychology and geography, and I am on As in all of them. I also did business studies AS in january and got an A

Dont worry about having no previous knowledge i didnt do psy, geog or business at gcse,

People think that psychology is easy, its not, it is a lot of work, but all a levels are, if you afe interested in it, it is good, i find the examination can sometimes be subjective and therefore you vant be sure on how you did,

Biology has a more rigid mark scheme and therefore if you know thr answer, you get the marks, it is hard but it is really respected and i dont think that it is the hardest science, if you enjoy it and are doing well in it at gcse, go for it!

Next, geography, cant say it js my favourite, it is interesting, i just hate the examinations and therefore it depends what exam board you will be on, im on edexcel, i didnt do very much work at AS and got an A where as at A2 it is more essay based and essays arent my strongest aspect

I would suggest looking at the specification if you know what exam board you will be on for each subject

If you need any help, im more than happy to help you
    Hope it helps

ReputationRep:
    As geography is easy, I did wjec not huge essays at as, a few at a2, I do economics and would reccomend it, its all about diagrams and

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Evaluation, a little like GCSE science, but I've heard biology is hard

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Economics is quite a demanding subject. You need to put a lot of time and effort into it. I did pretty bad in my AS exam but I was told that I will improve in the Resit. But I find it very enjoyable.
    I heard that AS maths is a lot harder than GCSE maths, but if you're working at a grade A/A* at GCSE then I think you will do well in AS maths.
    My advice to all students who are choosing AS subjects is that English and maths should be your first two options, because they are needed for every single job out there

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If I was you I would do, Maths, Biology and Economics

I got an A (so close to A* yet so far :/ ) for economics which I really enjoyed as a subject. It depends if you like it though, try reading through the specification and see if it would appeal to you.

ReputationRep:
    Post deleted, turns out people cant handle the truth... Psychology students..

ReputationRep:
    I do biology and economics.
    Economics isn't the most interesting subject but the content is quite easy as it's very logical and once you grasp how to do the evaluation that's not too bad either.
    I find AS biology a lot harder than gcse (but my gcse exam board was really quite easy) you have to be able to apply our knowledge and the mark schemes are very picky. The coursework isn't particularly pleasant ( I do AQA ) and there are past papers for the coursework ISA on the AQA website. However I would still recommend biology because if you enjoy it, like I do, then the hard work is worth it
    Hope that helps

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    I do Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths, and find Biology the most difficult out of all of them! However, it is an enjoyable subject which you will do well in if you enjoy it and put enough work in. My friends who do Geography and Economics really enjoy them, and if you took Maths, Biology, Geography and Economics, it would give you a well-rounded set of A Levels which all link together. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you. This was really helpful!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone give me advice on A Levels I have chosen for example what would the work be like etc
    My chosen A Levels:
    Maths
    Law
    English lit&lang
    Ict

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JF2013)
    Can anyone give me advice on A Levels I have chosen for example what would the work be like etc
    My chosen A Levels:
    Maths
    Law
    English lit&lang
    Ict

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If you're looking to apply for top universities swap lit and lang for lit, ICT for something more traditional and Law for maybe History. No universities require A Level Law for a Law course. If not, they're fine. Maths will be the hardest, ICT may mean a lot of effort on the coursework but isn't a particularly hard subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr DaMan)
    If you're looking to apply for top universities swap lit and lang for lit, ICT for something more traditional and Law for maybe History. No universities require A Level Law for a Law course. If not, they're fine. Maths will be the hardest, ICT may mean a lot of effort on the coursework but isn't a particularly hard subject.
    Thanks but I will never do history for a level as I'm doing it for gcse and it is boring also one sixth form I applied for I put lit and the other I put lit&lang because it looked interesting there better than just lit, ICT is an exam based course so it's alright plus I do like the look of ICT as the future is going to be mainly ICT. I find law interesting so I'd pick that
    Thanks for your help though😀

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks but I will never do history for a level as I'm doing it for gcse and it is boring also one sixth form I applied for I put lit and the other I put lit&lang because it looked interesting there better than just lit, ICT is an exam based course so it's alright plus I do like the look of ICT as the future is going to be mainly ICT. I find law interesting so I'd pick that
    Thanks for your help though������

Posted from TSR Mobile
    ICT will likely have coursework as well as exams, every ICT course I know of does. If not History perhaps Geography or a science?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr DaMan)
    ICT will likely have coursework as well as exams, every ICT course I know of does. If not History perhaps Geography or a science?
    Can't do geography as I don't do it as a GCSE and can't do science because I currently do BTEC
    But that's good if it has a mixture because if I get bad in exams I can always make up for it in coursework haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Can't do geography as I don't do it as a GCSE and can't do science because I currently do BTEC
    But that's good if it has a mixture because if I get bad in exams I can always make up for it in coursework haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not doing GCSE won't stop you doing it at A Level, or is your school one of these stupid af ones that insist on you doing the same subjects?

Economics is my favourite subject. It's essay based and isn't particularly hard, no harder than most essay subjects. Have a look into it.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.