Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I do A level geography...its awful! So boring! The sciences are lovely though. But then its all individual opinion and perception

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr DaMan)
    Not doing GCSE won't stop you doing it at A Level, or is your school one of these stupid af ones that insist on you doing the same subjects?

Economics is my favourite subject. It's essay based and isn't particularly hard, no harder than most essay subjects. Have a look into it.
    I will

Yeah the sixth forms I applied for are like that but I suppose it relates to the gcse course in some sort of way so maybe if you miss out on gcse then you'll need loads of catching up to do

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JF2013)
    I will

Yeah the sixth forms I applied for are like that but I suppose it relates to the gcse course in some sort of way so maybe if you miss out on gcse then you'll need loads of catching up to do

Posted from TSR Mobile
    There won't be for Geography, AS year is effectively the same as GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr DaMan)
    There won't be for Geography, AS year is effectively the same as GCSE.
    Yeah which of its nearly the same then you would have to catch up on what people learnt in gcse geography

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SheldonBlooper)
    I do A level geography...its awful! So boring! The sciences are lovely though. But then its all individual opinion and perception
    Geography isn't thaaat bad :h:
    The human aspect can get a little tedious but physical geography is really quite interesting. Just a lot of learning :closedeyes:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah which of its nearly the same then you would have to catch up on what people learnt in gcse geography

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No I mean the AS year would already be near enough a recap of GCSE Geography.

ReputationRep:
    I will

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I would think if I didn't do Geography at GCSE and took it for A Level I'd have a bit of outside reading to do to come to terms with stuff like hydrographs and the bases of human geography to do with development etc. GCSE is quite a big help but it is do-able without the GCSE, just a little extra work to understand it all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nistar)
    I would think if I didn't do Geography at GCSE and took it for A Level I'd have a bit of outside reading to do to come to terms with stuff like hydrographs and the bases of human geography to do with development etc. GCSE is quite a big help but it is do-able without the GCSE, just a little extra work to understand it all.
    Yeah but either way I can't study it because I never done it for gcse haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I do Biology. The course, in comparison with other Sciences, has a lot more content. However, if you invest time in learning the processes you should be fine with the application after getting used to the exam structure.

How are you doing in Physics? You mentioned a competency with Maths and I'm not sure if you know what you want to do at uni, but Physics is basically just applied Maths at A-Level and I find it really fun and interesting. Plus the mechanics units cross over, which may be helpful with your Maths? Just another thing worth considering for you!

I can send you part of my Edexcel Biology coursework to look at if you like? PM me your email!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yagmurgokhan)
    Am currently in year 11 and am struggling to choose my A-levels. I enjoy maths and am workibg on an A/A* at gcse; thus ill pick this.

Anyone doing geography can you tell me the rate of difficulty of the subject. Is it worth picking?

I got an A in biology gcse. However i have heard its really hard. Should i pick it or pick psychology. Please can someone give me some information about the coursework too. Where can i see a sample from?

Finally how hard is economics and is it a good subject?

I am a person working on A's, who dislikes reading, english is my current worse subject and i have never tried economics before.

I need URGENT help about my choices!!!!

Thanks in advance

Posted from TSR Mobile

Economics is tedious according to most of the sixth formers in my school. It involves loads of reading, case studies and graph reading. Maths sounds like a good idea (perhaps take maths and further maths or statistics? (which is marginally easier)) Geography at A-level is ridiculously easy! It is just a continuation of GCSE (you dont need to do it for GCSE to do well), however there is a lot of things to remember. Biology is actually very difficult at A2, but manageable if you put in the work. Psychology involves lots of reading, analysis and essay writing. Im taking:
    Geography, Biology, English lit and Psychology (General studies for exam only(no lessons))
    If I were you, I would take
    Maths, Further maths/statistics, geography and biology
    hope I helped!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StephenNaulls)
    I do Biology. The course, in comparison with other Sciences, has a lot more content. However, if you invest time in learning the processes you should be fine with the application after getting used to the exam structure.

How are you doing in Physics? You mentioned a competency with Maths and I'm not sure if you know what you want to do at uni, but Physics is basically just applied Maths at A-Level and I find it really fun and interesting. Plus the mechanics units cross over, which may be helpful with your Maths? Just another thing worth considering for you!

I can send you part of my Edexcel Biology coursework to look at if you like? PM me your email!
    I can't do sciences as I'm doing BTEC science now which means I can't do any of the sciences which is a shame because I like biology but I can't pick it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nistar)
    Geography isn't thaaat bad :h:
    The human aspect can get a little tedious but physical geography is really quite interesting. Just a lot of learning :closedeyes:
    Human geography is half the course though the physical stuff is interesting because it crosses with science at time but the rest just bored me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grammar12)
    Economics is tedious according to most of the sixth formers in my school. It involves loads of reading, case studies and graph reading. Maths sounds like a good idea (perhaps take maths and further maths or statistics? (which is marginally easier)) Geography at A-level is ridiculously easy! It is just a continuation of GCSE (you dont need to do it for GCSE to do well), however there is a lot of things to remember. Biology is actually very difficult at A2, but manageable if you put in the work. Psychology involves lots of reading, analysis and essay writing. Im taking:
    Geography, Biology, English lit and Psychology (General studies for exam only(no lessons))
    If I were you, I would take
    Maths, Further maths/statistics, geography and biology
    hope I helped!
    You set me straight on maths! But there is no further maths in the sixth forms I applied for.
    Also I can't any sciences because I do BTEC same with geography but its because I don't do it for gcse

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    i'm currently doing A level biology, and although I adored it at GCSE I've found that this year I really don't enjoy it, and shall be dropping it at the end of AS. the lessons, however, are not particularly hard or challenging.

we've done two pieces of coursework, and I can't for the life of me remember what they were, but they were pretty easy!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bri-grace)
    i'm currently doing A level biology, and although I adored it at GCSE I've found that this year I really don't enjoy it, and shall be dropping it at the end of AS. the lessons, however, are not particularly hard or challenging.

we've done two pieces of coursework, and I can't for the life of me remember what they were, but they were pretty easy!
    I would do it of I could but I can't

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yagmurgokhan)
    Am currently in year 11 and am struggling to choose my A-levels. I enjoy maths and am workibg on an A/A* at gcse; thus ill pick this.

Anyone doing geography can you tell me the rate of difficulty of the subject. Is it worth picking?

I got an A in biology gcse. However i have heard its really hard. Should i pick it or pick psychology. Please can someone give me some information about the coursework too. Where can i see a sample from?

Finally how hard is economics and is it a good subject?

I am a person working on A's, who dislikes reading, english is my current worse subject and i have never tried economics before.

I need URGENT help about my choices!!!!

Thanks in advance

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just pick Biology, very easy. But psychology's easier. Maths is the best at AS...and economics is also a very good option. For an A/A* student it should be good. But to be honest GCSE's can be easier if your intelligent. But for A-levels you need to be hard-working. Just work hard and everything becomes easier. These 4 options are nice, if your good at maths why don't you try physics, its an amazing subject at A-level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zeb786)
    Just pick Biology, very easy. But psychology's easier. Maths is the best at AS...and economics is also a very good option. For an A/A* student it should be good. But to be honest GCSE's can be easier if your intelligent. But for A-levels you need to be hard-working. Just work hard and everything becomes easier. These 4 options are nice, if your good at maths why don't you try physics, its an amazing subject at A-level.
    I can't do any science subject as I do BTEC science, psychology seems boring, is having a B/A grade good for maths? Does it mean I'm good at maths?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I can't do any science subject as I do BTEC science, psychology seems boring, is having a B/A grade good for maths? Does it mean I'm good at maths?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    B/A should be fine, try to push for the A, trust me with enough past papers, it shouldn't be difficult. Psychology....mmmm, i don't really study the subject but one of my friends does, according to what he says it sounds pretty interesting, especially the froid guy he always yaps on and on about. Look into sociology, it seems nice and don't have to have studied it at GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    I can't do sciences as I'm doing BTEC science now which means I can't do any of the sciences which is a shame because I like biology but I can't pick it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh no! Not even if you get a Distinction*? :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zeb786)
    B/A should be fine, try to push for the A, trust me with enough past papers, it shouldn't be difficult. Psychology....mmmm, i don't really study the subject but one of my friends does, according to what he says it sounds pretty interesting, especially the froid guy he always yaps on and on about. Look into sociology, it seems nice and don't have to have studied it at GCSE.
    I'm trying my hardest at maths I practice a lot so hopefully I get my A

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.