Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    So, just gonna explain my situation real quick. Did average at GCSE, 1 A*, 3 A's, the rest B's and C's.

Issue is, I got C's in English. Being the naive retard that I am, I chose not to do the free take offered by AQA due to the whole Ofqual thing, thinking they would raise the grade boundaries anyway. Now I'm sat in March still with my C's. Is it too late to resit the exams in the summer? Too late to resit before applying? All the Uni's want B's or above, and I even emailed a few and they told me they would not accept a C under any circumstances. Even though English had not been my first language up until 2 or 3 years before my exam.

So, what do I do? Please help

ReputationRep:
    I would retake it.

ReputationRep:
    you're right it is a pretty sticky situation. erm the only thing you can do is try and sit the exam externally. you should go to your exam officer at you collage or sixth form and ask them if its possible for them to acquire the papers. the chances are slim but its still worth a shot my friend had a similar problem last year he wanted to do physics but his science grades were not up to scratch so he talked to the exam officer about retaking some of the modules at our sixth form at the end of the year and she just orders the papers from aqa its not that difficult to get the papers so it shouldn't be to difficult hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    But is it too late to retake English Lang before the next application cycle?

Thanks for the replies btw.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lazy-)

I would have thought if you resat in the Summer i.e. July/August, you'd receive the results before the October 15th deadline.

Purely speculative, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lazy-)

If you sit it in the Summer you'll get the results in August.

ReputationRep:
    It is not too late to apply to sit an exam in May/June, however you will need to pay a late fee. If you don't apply soon you may need to pay a very late fee, which is higher. You can take the exam at any centre that will accept you as a candidate although its best to do so at your current school as they will be better able to deal with any timetable clashes.

You can check this out on the exam board website or by speaking to exam officers at any exam centre. If your current school won't help there is advice for private candidates on the AqA website, including fees and how to find an exam centre. Exam centres can ask for their own additional fee.

Schools normally have access to extra exam papers and in theory its possible to be a "pirate" candidate and enter on the day of the exam. However I doubt you'd find an exam centre to do it and it would be expensive if you did.

So I suggest you discuss this immediately with your school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by parentlurker)
    It is not too late to apply to sit an exam in May/June, however you will need to pay a late fee. If you don't apply soon you may need to pay a very late fee, which is higher. You can take the exam at any centre that will accept you as a candidate although its best to do so at your current school as they will be better able to deal with any timetable clashes.

You can check this out on the exam board website or by speaking to exam officers at any exam centre. If your current school won't help there is advice for private candidates on the AqA website, including fees and how to find an exam centre. Exam centres can ask for their own additional fee.

Schools normally have access to extra exam papers and in theory its possible to be a "pirate" candidate and enter on the day of the exam. However I doubt you'd find an exam centre to do it and it would be expensive if you did.

So I suggest you discuss this immediately with your school.
    Yeah, I talked to the exam officer today, he told me the same thing. Thank you so much for the advice, very helpful

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.