Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

The pay gap (which doesn't exist) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Why are so many people stupid enough to want the job demographics of women to match those of men? When was the last time you saw women taking an interest in many of the manual labour jobs responsible for causing most of the deaths men experience during the workplace? Why would anyone force them women to have the same interest in jobs as men? I assume this is the case because all the feminazis use dumb evidence for a pay gap, such as working out the average men earns more than the average women, regardless by how much, but they never do fair tests by comparing two identical roles in the same company. Companies pay different rates. I'm sure if there was a way of splitting the male demographic in half you'd see one half was paid on average more than the other. This is simply ridiculous that people think there's a pay gap. It doesn't help that you're more likely to find housewives doing the odd part time job than a househusband doing the odd part time job.

There is a reason behind the difference in average wage, baring in mind you're talking about over 50 million people with a hugely varied workforce on different wages. This is simply pissing with statistics. Either the mostly female dominated education sector isn't doing enough to teach women into being interested in the same jobs as men, enough to make the demographics match more accurately than a Swiss atomic clock, or women simply don't have the identical demographical interests as men.

Stop pretending you're being oppressed, you're making yourselves look like prats.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snagprophet)
    Why are so many people stupid enough to want the job demographics of women to match those of men? When was the last time you saw women taking an interest in many of the manual labour jobs responsible for causing most of the deaths men experience during the workplace? Why would anyone force them women to have the same interest in jobs as men? I assume this is the case because all the feminazis use dumb evidence for a pay gap, such as working out the average men earns more than the average women, regardless by how much, but they never do fair tests by comparing two identical roles in the same company. Companies pay different rates. I'm sure if there was a way of splitting the male demographic in half you'd see one half was paid on average more than the other. This is simply ridiculous that people think there's a pay gap. It doesn't help that you're more likely to find housewives doing the odd part time job than a househusband doing the odd part time job.

There is a reason behind the difference in average wage, baring in mind you're talking about over 50 million people with a hugely varied workforce on different wages. This is simply pissing with statistics. Either the mostly female dominated education sector isn't doing enough to teach women into being interested in the same jobs as men, enough to make the demographics match more accurately than a Swiss atomic clock, or women simply don't have the identical demographical interests as men.

Stop pretending you're being oppressed, you're making yourselves look like prats.
    There is two main reasons for the pay gap, both relating around womens role as a mother.

Firstly, employers are more likely to hire a man over a woman, with the same qualifications and experience, as chances are the woman will be taking a maternity leave at one point in her life, therefore paying a woman 9 months reduced wage for not actually getting any work, ontop of paying the wage of her temp replacement. This is also the reason to why men recieve promotions, which widens the pay gap even more.

Secondly, women take times out of their careers to be a mum, some even quit their jobs to take up something less time consuming. By taking time our of their career they are missing 9 months atleast of being able to advance in their jobs.

The pay gap very much does exist, and even though I am a female this doesn't bother me, because atleast one of the reasons for this pay gap is due to the personal choice of having a child and taking time out of their jobs.

ReputationRep:
    Great, lets give men a paid 9 month holiday and see if the pay gap disapears.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kayleigh_jude)
    There is two main reasons for the pay gap, both relating around womens role as a mother.

Firstly, employers are more likely to hire a man over a woman, with the same qualifications and experience, as chances are the woman will be taking a maternity leave at one point in her life, therefore paying a woman 9 months reduced wage for not actually getting any work, ontop of paying the wage of her temp replacement. This is also the reason to why men recieve promotions, which widens the pay gap even more.

Secondly, women take times out of their careers to be a mum, some even quit their jobs to take up something less time consuming. By taking time our of their career they are missing 9 months atleast of being able to advance in their jobs.

The pay gap very much does exist, and even though I am a female this doesn't bother me, because atleast one of the reasons for this pay gap is due to the personal choice of having a child and taking time out of their jobs.
    also women are less likely to negotiate for raises and are more likely to take sick days off.

I totally agree with you with the pay gap existing, (but not due to systematic oppression) imo the one way to fix this is to increase paternity leave too

Poll
Do you prefer hot dogs or burgers?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.