Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Basically I am in first year and so far I have been very unhappy with my course. I don't feel that it was what it was presented at and I feel very unhappy spending my time here and I don't feel that this is what I want to do or that I would be happy having a degree in. This feeling of mine has been for months (since before X-mas) and it's not getting better it's getting worst.

My question is can anybody give me some advice on the whole dropping out process? Also any advice on doing an IB after secondary school? Although I got good A-Levels (AAB) I believe that I can do better and as the IB is recoginsed I would like to do that.

Also would my dropping out affect my future applications? My course is radically different to what I would like to do.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TCD23)
    Basically I am in first year and so far I have been very unhappy with my course. I don't feel that it was what it was presented at and I feel very unhappy spending my time here and I don't feel that this is what I want to do or that I would be happy having a degree in. This feeling of mine has been for months (since before X-mas) and it's not getting better it's getting worst.

My question is can anybody give me some advice on the whole dropping out process? Also any advice on doing an IB after secondary school? Although I got good A-Levels (AAB) I believe that I can do better and as the IB is recoginsed I would like to do that.

Also would my dropping out affect my future applications? My course is radically different to what I would like to do.
    Doing the IB would be a complete waste of time, it won't help you get into University or improve your employment prospects. If you want to change academic direction and do a degree in a subject you don't have the A levels for, then a) you need to think a whole lot harder about what you really want to do than you have so far, and b) A levels or an Access course would be better approaches than IB.

If you want to drop out of University then you need to engage with the University services first. Try the Student Union, Counselling Services, Welfare Officers, Tutors etc, there are a myriad of sensible choices available at University.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    Doing the IB would be a complete waste of time, it won't help you get into University or improve your employment prospects. If you want to change academic direction and do a degree in a subject you don't have the A levels for, then a) you need to think a whole lot harder about what you really want to do than you have so far, and b) A levels or an Access course would be better approaches than IB.

If you want to drop out of University then you need to engage with the University services first. Try the Student Union, Counselling Services, Welfare Officers, Tutors etc, there are a myriad of sensible choices available at University.
    Why would A Levels be better? IB is recognized.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TCD23)
    Why would A Levels be better? IB is recognized.

It doesn't matter that it is 'recognized' it is a school qualification you take at age 18, and for IB in particular, the structure makes it much easier to take in a school context. You add nothing at all by going back to school level education, having got decent A levels and a year at university.

The only reason for taking school level qualifications is to take a completely different route at university. As you have already made the wrong decision once, and you aren't presenting a strong and specific case about what you do want to do academically, I am advising you to stop and think very hard.

The first thing you should do is use the extensive resources available to you at university, to work out what options you have, before committing to step back 3 years of your life and start off doing lower sixth/year 12 work when you are 20-21.

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't matter that it is 'recognized' it is a school qualification you take at age 18, and for IB in particular, the structure makes it much easier to take in a school context. You add nothing at all by going back to school level education, having got decent A levels and a year at university.

The only reason for taking school level qualifications is to take a completely different route at university. As you have already made the wrong decision once, and you aren't presenting a strong and specific case about what you do want to do academically, I am advising you to stop and think very hard.

The first thing you should do is use the extensive resources available to you at university, to work out what options you have, before committing to step back 3 years of your life and start off doing lower sixth/year 12 work when you are 20-21.
    On that level would you say doing an A-Level would be the better option.

I would also add that I'm not one of those people who don't things through, the University I'm at has a very good reputation but I've found that I don't agree with that.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TCD23)
    On that level would you say doing an A-Level would be the better option.

I would also add that I'm not one of those people who don't things through, the University I'm at has a very good reputation but I've found that I don't agree with that.
    I can't say, you haven't give enough detail about where you are at, what subject you are currently studying, what A level subjects you have, what you want to study and where you want to study.

You may not 'agree' with the Universities reputation, but that reputation was established by a great many more minds than yours. Perhaps you just need to re-appraise your learning techniques, your accommodation and routine etc? Whatever, the best advice will be available in the university, not by asking randomers on TSR.

ReputationRep:
    I can't say, you haven't give enough detail about where you are at, what subject you are currently studying, what A level subjects you have, what you want to study and where you want to study.

You may not 'agree' with the Universities reputation, but that reputation was established by a great many more minds than yours. Perhaps you just need to re-appraise your learning techniques, your accommodation and routine etc? Whatever, the best advice will be available in the university, not by asking randomers on TSR.
    Don't bother answering the thread then.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TCD23)
    Don't bother answering the thread then.

OK, good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I do the IB. No offense to you, but I highly doubt you can get a very good IB score of say 40 if you only got AAB. It isn't worth it, it isn't more recognised, you might as well just reapply to different unis. The IB is hard. It's a lot of work and you HAVE to be an all rounder. I regret doing the IB.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.