Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I have had decisions back from all of my universities after my application to study chemistry starting in October 2013.

Bristol: A*AB/AAA
    Warwick: AAB
    Southampton: AAB
    Manchester: ABB
    Oxford: Unsuccessful

I had initially wanted to go to Southampton (it would have been my insurance if Oxford had made me an offer), but having spoken to my parents I'm not so sure of this anymore. I live just outside of Bristol so I could live at home for the first year if I were to go there which would save a year's accommodation costs, but I really want to experience life in another part of the country. Bristol is also ranked higher in the national and international league tables, although Southampton has a higher graduate prospects rating and is ranked higher for chemistry by the Good University Guide.

Any advice would be appreciated!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Where do you want to live for the next 3-4 years?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    Where do you want to live for the next 3-4 years?
    As much as I like Bristol as a city I do really want to experience another city...

I was just wondering whether Bristol would look better on a CV than Southampton because of its higher ranking in the league tables.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tc0710)
    I have had decisions back from all of my universities after my application to study chemistry starting in October 2013.

Bristol: A*AB/AAA
    Warwick: AAB
    Southampton: AAB
    Manchester: ABB
    Oxford: Unsuccessful

I had initially wanted to go to Southampton (it would have been my insurance if Oxford had made me an offer), but having spoken to my parents I'm not so sure of this anymore. I live just outside of Bristol so I could live at home for the first year if I were to go there which would save a year's accommodation costs, but I really want to experience life in another part of the country. Bristol is also ranked higher in the national and international league tables, although Southampton has a higher graduate prospects rating and is ranked higher for chemistry by the Good University Guide.

Any advice would be appreciated!
    Regarding getting a job afterwards/ prestige of Uni, they're all very good Universities and they'll leave in a pretty similar position upon graduation, so don't worry too much on that point - Other factors such as experience matter far more in that sense. All it comes down to really, as the above post said is where would you want to be for the next 3+ years of your life? I can't say much about Southampton as I've never been there, but having gone to secondary school opposite the central University building's in Bristol I can tell you that its a lovely place and has a really nice feel to it - especially in the summer time. My sister went to Manchester and it too had an awesome vibe about it.

If I was you, go and visit the Uni's and have a real look around the place and you'll know which one to pick. Also, look at the course structure, one course may have modules that interest you far more than the other and this should really be taken into consideration.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your advice. I have decided to make Southampton my firm choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.