The Student Room Group

OCR A2 Religious Studies - Thursday 6th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
Original post by JimmyRustler
‘God knows the ethical decisions we will make.’ Discuss.
‘The biblical concept of miracles leads to belief in a God who cares more for some than for others.' Discuss
‘If God knows what we are going to do he has no right to reward the good and punish the wicked.’ Discuss.

Could someone please do a little plan for me for these questions? Would be greatly helpful

Philosophical Investigations website, by any chance?
Love that guy.
Original post by JakeAReynolds
X

Are you the same Jake that runs jakedoesrevision? Because you're actually saving my life right now with all those notes.

(We really need a hail/worship smiley here)
Reply 302
Predictions for Ethics, anyone?
Peter Baron's got Freewill & Determinism and Sexual Ethics as his hot tips.
If anyone's wondering, I've got the Philosophy and Ethics questions/topics from January;

Ethics ~
*Conscience is/is not innate (Butler).
*Religious vs. Secular Ethics regarding Sexual Ethics.
*'Following a virtuous person's lead is the most useful part of Virtue Ethics'.
*Businesses have a conscience (?)

Philosophy~
*Via Negativa in Religious Language.
*William James and Religious Experience .
*'The concept of resurrection is incoherent' in Life, Death & Soul.
*Omnibenevolent God in Attributes of God.
Original post by clonedmemories
Are you the same Jake that runs jakedoesrevision? Because you're actually saving my life right now with all those notes.

(We really need a hail/worship smiley here)

That is me :smile: and I'm glad they help!
Reply 304
That is me :smile: and I'm glad they help!

Don't suppose you've got a link to hand? :smile:
Original post by Flowerii
Don't suppose you've got a link to hand? :smile:

Here you go!

You may have to scroll through my english lit stuff but it's all there :smile:
Reply 306
Here you go!

You may have to scroll through my english lit stuff but it's all there :smile:

Ah, brilliant, thank you! I think we need to put up a permanent 'Hail Jake' sticky on the revision forums.
Predictions for Ethics, anyone?
Peter Baron's got Freewill & Determinism and Sexual Ethics as his hot tips.
If anyone's wondering, I've got the Philosophy and Ethics questions/topics from January;

Ethics ~
*Conscience is/is not innate (Butler).
*Religious vs. Secular Ethics regarding Sexual Ethics.
*'Following a virtuous person's lead is the most useful part of Virtue Ethics'.
*Businesses have a conscience (?)

Philosophy~
*Via Negativa in Religious Language.
*William James and Religious Experience .
*'The concept of resurrection is incoherent' in Life, Death & Soul.
*Omnibenevolent God in Attributes of God.

Yes I've got the questions for ethics only
January 2013:-
1. Critically assess the claim that conscience is a reliable guide to ethical decision making
2. "Following the example of virtuous people is the most useful aspect of Virtue Ethics." Discuss
3. Critically assess the view that businesses have a moral duty to put their consumer first
4. "Religious approaches to sexual ethics are more helpful than secular approaches." Discuss
(edited 10 years ago)
Just wondering if you guys would follow a similar plan for the question:
"The verification principle offers no real challenge to religious belief." If not, what would you suggest? Thankyou :smile:

Plan-
Intro

P1) Strong verficationisim
Analyse using statement (strengths/weaknesses)
Support/argue against:
Perhaps using symbols to see religious language as meaningful

P2) Weak verficationisim
Support/argue against:
Support from ayers example of mountains or science and argue against using language games

P3) offer alternative of falsificationisim as better
Analyse
Support/argue against

Conclusion- sum up all points and conclude that verficationisim does offer some challenge to religious belief however it is wrong to compare scientific statements with religious statements because they are not facts and perhaps should be seen as symbolic rather than literal. Therefore perhaps if wanting to use a better approach against religious language we should consider this problem and resolve it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I spoke to my teacher today and she said meta ethics and virtue ethics is likely to come up
Original post by VaticanCameos
Just wondering if you guys would follow a similar plan for the question:
"The verification principle offers no real challenge to religious belief." If not, what would you suggest? Thankyou :smile:

Plan-
Intro

P1) Strong verficationisim
Support/argue against:
Perhaps using symbols to see religious language as meaningful

P2) Weak verficationisim
Support/argue against:
Support from ayers example of mountains or science and argue against using language games

P3) offer alternative of falsificationisim as better
Analyse
Support/argue against

Conclusion- sum up all points and conclude that verficationisim does offer some challenge to religious belief however it is wrong to compare scientific statements with religious statements because they are not facts and perhaps should be seen as symbolic rather than literal. Therefore perhaps if wanting to use a better approach against religious language we should consider this problem and resolve it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That sounds about right to me, however I prefer to conclude essays on verification/falsification with the idea that they cannot stand up to their own beliefs - the very principle "a statement only had meaning if it can be verified" cannot itself be verified, and I this, I think, is the fatal flaw with the principles and it therefore cannot challenge anything, religious or otherwise.

Otherwise, that sounds good to me! Different forms of verification, offer alternatives and conclude.
Ah, brilliant, thank you! I think we need to put up a permanent 'Hail Jake' sticky on the revision forums.

Haha! no worries. You guys are too nice!
You guys, why is Kant both deontological and absolutist
Original post by missemma1
yes i've got the questions for ethics only
january 2013:-
1. Critically assess the claim that conscience is a reliable guide to ethical decision making
2. "following the example of virtuous people is the most useful aspect of virtue ethics." discuss
3. Critically assess the view that businesses have a moral duty to put their consumer first
4. "religious approaches to sexual ethics are more helpful than secular approaches." discuss

help!!!!!!!! Really struggling on conscience. Does anyone have any notes on this topic? Would be really grateful.
What do you think is conscience a possibility for tomorrow?

Thank you
What is deontological and absolutist
Help!!!!!!!! Really struggling with conscience. Does anyone have any notes on this topic? Would be really grateful.
What do you think is conscience a possibility for tomorrow?

Thank you
Very likely topics: Free Will, Meta Ethics, Environmental Ethics

Likely topics: Business ethics OR Sexual Ethics. It will be one or the other, definitely not both.

Unlikely topic: Conscience

IMHO
Anyone got any ideas as to what to expect on the exam tomorrow is Ethics? I'm expecting free will & determinism! From there I'm unsure.
Original post by clonedmemories
That sounds about right to me, however I prefer to conclude essays on verification/falsification with the idea that they cannot stand up to their own beliefs - the very principle "a statement only had meaning if it can be verified" cannot itself be verified, and I this, I think, is the fatal flaw with the principles and it therefore cannot challenge anything, religious or otherwise.

Otherwise, that sounds good to me! Different forms of verification, offer alternatives and conclude.

Thankyou very much! I'll bear that in mind :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by seriousquestions
Very likely topics: Free Will, Meta Ethics, Environmental Ethics

Likely topics: Business ethics OR Sexual Ethics. It will be one or the other, definitely not both.

Unlikely topic: Conscience

IMHO

Haha, if your right, I'll be so happy in the exam!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending