Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SimpleTom)
    Have you guys seen Sussex in the Guardian League Table

In 2012 it was 11th, its fallen now to 50th...
    I don't care about the league tables, I'm going to the university where I know the course and atmosphere is right for me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lmacknold20)
    What is deontological and absolutist
    Deontological - a theory which focuses on intent as opposed to the consequences of an action

Absolutist - a theory which has universal rules. They do not change depending on situation/with culture/with time period

ReputationRep:
    Definition of a miracle right now: passing this exam.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly really hope virtue ethics and sexual ethics comes up tomorrow for ethics, what is the likelihood of them coming up?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gillbachir)
    Help!!!!!!!! Really struggling with conscience. Does anyone have any notes on this topic? Would be really grateful.
    What do you think is conscience a possibility for tomorrow?

Thank you
    I just posted a revision pack. Download A2 Ethics & scroll down for all you need on conscience
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...647&highlight=

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clonedmemories)
    The way I'm feeling right now, that would definitely be a violation of the laws of nature!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by copril)
    Wiles argues that miracles do not happen. Unlike Hume though he doesn't argue this because of scientific/rational reasons, he argues that it would be possible to break the laws of nature. Instead he argues that miracles do not happen for moral reasons. This is because it suggests an arbitrary or partisan God. Arbitrary meaning random and partisan meaning biased or has favourites. According to Wiles because miracles don't happen all the time ( which he says they couldn't possibly because the world would be a crazy, unpredictable mess and there would be no such things as laws of nature) if miracles were possible this would suggest that God was either dishing out miracles randomly or had favourites. You can use examples of how miracles in the Bible such as Abraham and Sarah being given a child suggests a partisan God considering tragedies happen and are not prevented with miracles. A God who is arbitrary or partisan creates problems for theology because God is described as all-loving (which he couldn't be if he had favourites) and purposeful (which he couldn't be if he handed out miracles randomly. Consequently Wiles concludes that miracles do not happen because they suggest an arbitrary or partisan God, which isn't possible.

You can argue against Wiles by using arguments such as the contingency definition of miracles. Tillich argues that people have got carried away with the miraculous nature of miracles and have forgotten their revelatory purpose. The purpose of miracles is not healing or helping the individual but revealing something about God-- they are 'signs' of God. Take for example, Jesus healing the sick. In Biblical times sickness was thought to be linked to sin. Instead of the miracle being about Jesus healing the sick it is showing Jesus' power over sin. R.F. Holland also argued that miracles don't have to be supernatural and that it is about interpretation. You could also argue that whether Wiles likes it or not in the Bible miracles happen. In a question about Wiles' and miracles you could talk about:

Whether he is defining miracles right (he uses Hume's definition that they must be supernatural if you use the contingency definition it's less likely to show a arbitrary/partisan God.)
    Question Wiles' argument that miracles shouldn't be rejected on scientific grounds. Using Hume and Hick's arguments.
    Weaknesses of Wiles.
    Can you really argue against Wiles with the Contingency definition of miracle, I don't really think that is a good criticism

ReputationRep:
    Oh the irony

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by izzabellezi)
    The way I'm feeling right now, that would definitely be a violation of the laws of nature!
    Ahaha classic philosophy jokes

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakeAReynolds)
    That is me and I'm glad they help!
    Thought i'd throw out my thanks and best wishes for tomorrow, the notes have been fabulously helpful for cramming from

ReputationRep:
    so, casually freaking out wbu?

ReputationRep:
    The thing that worries me is that predestination is named on the ethics specification, does anyone think they could specifically ask an ethical question around it? Hoping for a more general determinism one. Conscience would be great too but seems unlikely

Also wanting contraception as its never been up before!

Do people tend to do a for and against (and critique as go along).. or more of a theory contrast (kant, utilitarianism, virtue) or (freud, butler, fromm) etc if you understand what I mean? Or simply contrasting the whole way through?

ReputationRep:
    ‘The biblical concept of miracles leads to belief in a God who cares more for some than for others.' Discuss

Could someone post a plan for this question, or a plan to a Wiles-esque question please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyLynch100)
    so, casually freaking out wbu?
    ME TOOOOO:confused::eek::confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studentgrace)
    The thing that worries me is that predestination is named on the ethics specification, does anyone think they could specifically ask an ethical question around it? Hoping for a more general determinism one. Conscience would be great too but seems unlikely

Also wanting contraception as its never been up before!

Do people tend to do a for and against (and critique as go along).. or more of a theory contrast (kant, utilitarianism, virtue) or (freud, butler, fromm) etc if you understand what I mean? Or simply contrasting the whole way through?
    Rest assured, you will not have to write an entire essay on predestination. You will inevitably have to contrast it with hard determinism/soft determinism and free will. Check out my revision pack. Predestination is covered there. It is in the Free Will section, under "determinism" (not hard determinism).

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...647&highlight=

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by belles_etoiles)
    Thought i'd throw out my thanks and best wishes for tomorrow, the notes have been fabulously helpful for cramming from
    No worries, and good luck to you too!

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering, do we need to know about Logical Positivism? because my teacher taught us it at the beginning of the year but i can't find any of my notes on it but it's not explicitly mentioned on the specification, unless we're meant to learn it in conjunction with the Vienna Circle?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kreeps101)
    I was just wondering, do we need to know about Logical Positivism? because my teacher taught us it at the beginning of the year but i can't find any of my notes on it but it's not explicitly mentioned on the specification, unless we're meant to learn it in conjunction with the Vienna Circle?
    I never tend to write about it in detail, only just drop a mention of it in essays that link to it to explain what it was about very briefly and what theories came from it

ReputationRep:
    Just been through all the flash cards I've made... I think my weakest area by far is attributes of God, except for eternity.

I've got my fingers crossed for religious experience/verification and falsification/miracles!

ReputationRep:
    I never tend to write about it in detail, only just drop a mention of it in essays that link to it to explain what it was about very briefly and what theories came from it
    ahh okey cool, i was getting really worried, thankyou!

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.