Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elina12)
    nope it was a meta ethics question
    Yeah I basically wrote the entire section of the textbook about meta ethics, just replaced the words ethical statement with the word "good"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessss)
    Yeah I basically wrote the entire section of the textbook about meta ethics, just replaced the words ethical statement with the word "good"
    Ahaha! Same!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessss)
    Haha same! It was a silly question, I think because it didn't relate all that much to meta ethics....

ReputationRep:
    Anyone do the 1st question about Gaia Hypothesis or the 2nd on free will? How did you find it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by josiejump)
    Anyone do the 1st question about Gaia Hypothesis or the 2nd on free will? How did you find it?
    I did the same questions as you!! The questions were so specific and odd! The free will being about moral choices which was irritating and environmental being on Gaia Hypothesis... was very weird!

I think it could have gone worse though! You?

ReputationRep:
    Lovely philosophy paper, answered the questions on Wiles and Boethius, pretty straight forward.
    As for ethics, a little harder, I answered the FW/D and meta-ethics question but the FW/D was pretty tricky as the statement was kind of cryptic :/ basically regurgitated everything about determinism that I know haha.

ReputationRep:
    Philosophy awful. Ethics better/okay.

I couldn't answer the religious language or miracles question as I felt I didn't know enough, so I was stuck with the two harder questions. Just awful.

Did the business/virtue one for the other things. Thought it was fairly straightforward, providing I did an okay version of it. I journeyed through Virtue Ethics, outlining why businesses can't use Virtue Ethics well and why the two are incompatible. But then counter argued it with how business can take some useful things from Virtue Ethics, e.g. principles of phronesis etc. Then reinforced a couple issues/blips and rounded it off by saying that it's basically a tricky fit but not completely incompatible (in better words obviously).

And then did the free will one. I hoped for it, and it came. Focused more on hard determinism, as this is the one that talks about us having no freedom. Brought in soft determinism in the evaluation a little bit. Used a couple examples and brought in Locke. That's all I had room for really but hopefully ticked the boxes :confused:

Overall, really disappointed with myself. I nearly cried at the start of Philosophy. I needed a B or A in these exams to get my overall A, and I think I may have got a C or D in Philosophy. I've been given 30ish/35 marks all year round, and I reckon I got like 15 or 20 at a push for each Philosophy essay. I'm just hoping so badly I did better than I thought and that Ethics went well.

I don't want to miss my grades

ReputationRep:
    Did both of those! My teacher was stunned when I told her I did the Gaia hypothesis question because she didn't think she taught it in enough detail so I'm a little worried there but I explained what I wrote to her and she said that seemed okay, thankfully!

Loved the free will question. At first I found it difficult to ground myself exactly onto the question, but I think I managed it. Everyone in my set did that one!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studentgrace)
    I did the same questions as you!! The questions were so specific and odd! The free will being about moral choices which was irritating and environmental being on Gaia Hypothesis... was very weird!

I think it could have gone worse though! You?
    Same, I thought that too. Pretty annoying they were both so specific, but it wasn't too bad. Definitely didn't want to do the meta-ethics question haha.

Fingers crossed!

ReputationRep:
    am i the only one that found this paper difficult?

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone do the question on justifying evil if there is no life after death? I found it really weird to answer and found myself including all sorts? What did u include?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clonedmemories)
    Did both of those! My teacher was stunned when I told her I did the Gaia hypothesis question because she didn't think she taught it in enough detail so I'm a little worried there but I explained what I wrote to her and she said that seemed okay, thankfully!

Loved the free will question. At first I found it difficult to ground myself exactly onto the question, but I think I managed it. Everyone in my set did that one!
    Both seemed pretty manageable once I got my head around them. Think I wrote a better essay about the Gaia Hypothesis/environment than the free will. Definitely needed to think about how to structure the free will question longer than I thought

ReputationRep:
    I found the free will determinism a bit tricky, however I found the meta-ethics much easier, it was the easiest question on the paper, but I'm assuming not a lot of people do it as they choose to not revise meta-ethics.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Both seemed pretty manageable once I got my head around them. Think I wrote a better essay about the Gaia Hypothesis/environment than the free will. Definitely needed to think about how to structure the free will question longer than I thought
    Definitely! I didn't learn businiess ethics, virtue ethics or meta-ethics, and I didn't really learn environmental ethics much either but I blagged my way through that with a load of geography, so I didn't have much question choice in the end! But I reckon I would have chosen those ones anyway. Seriously disappointed sexual ethics didn't come up, though. Ah well. I too thought the Gaia hypothesis one seemed horrible at first but once I thought about it I think I had enough to form something coherent!

All I did for my free will one was:
    • Intro - Locke's room
    • Hard determinism (different types, throw in some psychology studies and Darrow)
    • Libertarianism (which I completely forgot most of)
    • Soft determinism and illusion of free will
    • Conclusion - as long as we believe we're free like the man in Locke's room, then we can make moral choices even if we aren't truly free

Anyway, I think this GIF sums up how I'm feeling right now.

ReputationRep:
    For philosophy I did Symboic language and talked about Tillich and evaluated with Alston and McQuarrie, then compared to Analogy and Aquinas and then compared to via negativa and included Maimonides and Crombie. Then I did Wiles on miracles and assessed with Holland, Hume, Swinburne and McKinnon.

For ethics I did free will and included hard determinism with Watson, Honderich, Pavlov, Locke and Hume then compared to Libertarianism and Peter van Inwagen and Werner Heisenberer. Then moved onto existentiasm and Sartre. Then I did meta-ethics Q and included ethical naturalism with Bradley, Hume and Searle and compared to Emotivism and Ayer and Stevenson, with criticisms from Vardy and Rachels.

ReputationRep:
    Ethics: FW/D - funny question because it seemed to want a comparison between incompatiblism (free will and hard determinists.. don't normally put them arguing for the same side!) and combatiblism so a weird slant, but a nice mix up
    Meta-ethics question on good was alright too, fairly straight forward

Phil: Boethius and symbolic language, most the questions on the phil paper seemed alright so I just picked the first 2 because i read them first;L but I didn't fancy the Wiles question! Hope it all went well for everyone!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burbe)
    Did anyone do the question on justifying evil if there is no life after death? I found it really weird to answer and found myself including all sorts? What did u include?
    lol, me too. I was the only one out of my peers in rs who picked that one! We only brief;y got taught on that... and I did 0 revision on it, honestly.
    But, I answered it to the best I could - I wrote nothing in the text book...
    Did you relate back to the text book? What did you include..?

ReputationRep:
    I got a high B last year, and I need another B this year! What do I need to get in these exams for that ya think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clonedmemories)
    Definitely! I didn't learn businiess ethics, virtue ethics or meta-ethics, and I didn't really learn environmental ethics much either but I blagged my way through that with a load of geography, so I didn't have much question choice in the end! But I reckon I would have chosen those ones anyway. Seriously disappointed sexual ethics didn't come up, though. Ah well. I too thought the Gaia hypothesis one seemed horrible at first but once I thought about it I think I had enough to form something coherent!

All I did for my free will one was:
    • Intro - Locke's room
    • Hard determinism (different types, throw in some psychology studies and Darrow)
    • Libertarianism (which I completely forgot most of)
    • Soft determinism and illusion of free will
    • Conclusion - as long as we believe we're free like the man in Locke's room, then we can make moral choices even if we aren't truly free

Anyway, I think this GIF sums up how I'm feeling right now.
    For Free will one, I spoke briefly about Locke and how free will is somewhat an illusion, and ummm, soft determinsim, a bit of pre-D, and Lib.. Also made link to Bible as it says we do have free will, and brought in what Augustine said which just agreed with what the Bible said. I could have written better, but in Jesus name I did good

ReputationRep:
    Same here, I find Gaia hypothesis is a bit hard.
    free will, I think it was a tricky question. So I used determinism as a theory and libertarian as a criticism. Soft Determinism as a counter-argument.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.