Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Could someone help me out with the similarities, differences, strengths and weaknesses of analogy, symbol and myth. In a question which says to compare them, I wouldn't have a clue which one was best. I'd also find it difficult to stretch out the strengths and weaknesses of both to a whole essay... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    I'm having particular difficulty in applying the theories to applied ethics, specifically business and environment rather than sexual ethics

Also, one of my teachers has been question spotting and predicted a question on virtue and the environment, virtue ethics is so hard to apply I think so any ideas here also? thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xMr_BrightSide)
    Philosophy of Religion and Religious Ethics here! Hate the business and environmental ethics side, with the shallow/deep ecology stuff.... boring as hell.

Not to pleased with the nature of God-centric A2 Philosophy syllabus either tbh, but it has at least led to some good debates in class

What UMS do people need for the grade they want? Luckily, I only need to get a low B in each paper for an A overall so I'm not too worried about the exams
    I need help, my RS teacher insists that you must have a solid argument throughout and use judgemental sentences the whole way through; he really emphasises that we need to talk about OUR opinion - which therefore, the way he's telling us, jepodises putting in A01 massively. But he has also given us past answers that have been done in the past, which have recieved top marks, but I can see no own judgement in. HELP ME, how do you tackle it!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellaluka)
    I need help, my RS teacher insists that you must have a solid argument throughout and use judgemental sentences the whole way through; he really emphasises that we need to talk about OUR opinion - which therefore, the way he's telling us, jepodises putting in A01 massively. But he has also given us past answers that have been done in the past, which have recieved top marks, but I can see no own judgement in. HELP ME, how do you tackle it!?
    The first thing to remember is that this is an essay, and it has to address the question set. So if the question is whether a certain ethical theory is more/less useful than another, the key is to apply your knowledge to the question.

This includes saying whether this weakness makes such and such a theory less useful, or whether a different idea would be better. You are meant to integrate the argument, rather than just include own judgements - if it doesn't answer the question, don't include it.

So just remember - answer the question. If you do that, you will naturally include strengths and weaknesses as well as knowledge when you are explaining it, and will do well.

ReputationRep:
    I've written a blog post on religious experience if it's of any help to anyone.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, i'm taking the philosophy and ethics exams coming up for a2. My teacher has advised us to specifically target 3 out of the 5 topics covered in philosophy. As they can only ask you 4 questions on 4 topics, so it's guarenteed that 2/3 come up. Do you think this is appropriate to do? i'm quite wary about this..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ashleyd)
    Hey, i'm taking the philosophy and ethics exams coming up for a2. My teacher has advised us to specifically target 3 out of the 5 topics covered in philosophy. As they can only ask you 4 questions on 4 topics, so it's guarenteed that 2/3 come up. Do you think this is appropriate to do? i'm quite wary about this..
    I did this for the A2 Ethics in January, and it worked for me, but you have to go with what you're comfortable with.

ReputationRep:
    Blog post on miracles.

ReputationRep:
    What topics do people think will come up in the papers?

ReputationRep:
    I predict meta ethics, determinism virtue applied and maybe sexual(religious)

ReputationRep:
    What about philosophy?

Oh God please not sexual ethics, that's one thing I've just left out from my studies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lordmackery)
    What about philosophy?

Oh God please not sexual ethics, that's one thing I've just left out from my studies.
    I think miracles is almost certain to come up, looking at the past papers of 2010-2013 both June and Jan Miracle only appeared 3/7 papers and hasn't made an appearance since Jan 12, where as all the other topics have been 6/7 or 7/7!

ReputationRep:
    I think environmental is likely to come up in the ethics paper, it hasn't been for a while!

The Philosophy paper I also think there will be a miracles question, and most likely a Life After Death Question... but predictions are always a bit wary so I would say revise the topics you are most comfortable with.

After debating over it today, I have decided not to go into depth revision for Meta Ethics, Business or Attributes of God.

Meta or Attributes as I am least confident with them in ethics and philosophy respectively, and Business because it was on January's paper and even the very small chance it and Meta-Ethics does come up I should still be alright as I am confident for all other topics.

Aiming for an A, so need to get 149 UMS, so mid- B's. So much harder than last year :/

Oh, and your resources are GREAT Jake! Thanks for putting them up

ReputationRep:
    I don't do philoaophy , and Donny worry you'll have 3 other questions to do, I'm not going to be doing sexual ethics

ReputationRep:
    I would love a nice meaty Hume question on miracles... mmmm.

"Hume and Miracles." Discuss.

Oh yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

ReputationRep:
    How's everyone feeling about this exam? Also, how do you structure your essays?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Username_valid)
    How's everyone feeling about this exam? Also, how do you structure your essays?
    Feeling pretty good about the philosophy side, less so about ethics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lordmackery)
    Feeling pretty good about the philosophy side, less so about ethics.
    I am the opposite, I just can't get Religious Language down! Arghhh, so hard to revise for me :L

ReputationRep:
    My teachers also think propositional revelation (urgh), symbols (yay) and verification (yay) are pretty good bets!

ReputationRep:
    Oh God, I just get angry when I write about Paul Tillich.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.