Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Username_valid)
    Hi, could you elaborate on what you mean for the part in bold please? How would you make it clear what your opinion is, would you simply state it early on saying something like "the best argument is" or would you imply it?
    Well it depends whatever you feel most comfortable with but you don't want your essay to lean towards natural law being the best approach to something and then concluding that virtue ethics is the best approach if you understand what I mean.

So when arguing the case for natural law, evaluate it by mentioning its strengths and weaknesses in application but if in your opinion it is the best approach, make sure you get that across. "Nonetheless, a straightforward approach is the best due to it not favouring some people above others and being the same rule for everybody".

So once you have evaluated a certain approach try and come to a conclusion so the examiner knows where you're going..? Sorry if that doesn't seem clear.

As for your other approach:-

They can, and have, asked separate questions on both environmental and business. They can ask one of the topics, put the topics together into one question or ask two individual ones. They put both environment and business in June 2012.

So in theory business, environment and virtue ethics could all come up and you would only be able to answer 1 question. So I think you definitely should learn one more!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Divergent)
    I've been predicted:
    The Word of God
    Symbols
    Verification/Falsiciation
    Boethius (very likely I think)
    And a possible name on life after death, e.g. Hick and Plato
    I doubt life after death, it's come up twice in a row!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studentgrace)
    Well it depends whatever you feel most comfortable with but you don't want your essay to lean towards natural law being the best approach to something and then concluding that virtue ethics is the best approach if you understand what I mean.

So when arguing the case for natural law, evaluate it by mentioning its strengths and weaknesses in application but if in your opinion it is the best approach, make sure you get that across. "Nonetheless, a straightforward approach is the best due to it not favouring some people above others and being the same rule for everybody".

So once you have evaluated a certain approach try and come to a conclusion so the examiner knows where you're going..? Sorry if that doesn't seem clear.

As for your other approach:-

They can, and have, asked separate questions on both environmental and business. They can ask one of the topics, put the topics together into one question or ask two individual ones. They put both environment and business in June 2012.

So in theory business, environment and virtue ethics could all come up and you would only be able to answer 1 question. So I think you definitely should learn one more!
    That's brilliant, thank you!

I think I understand what you're saying and it's similar to what I've been trying to do in some of the practice essays. So what I've been doing is, making it clear which side I would argue, then give strengths of this argument. I would then also give the weaknesses but I would then try and counter these with some strength and give the weaknesses of the other side of the argument. I would then conclude by re-iterating why I find one side stronger than the other. Would you say that's reasonable?

Also how many different theories would you refer to in your essay? So if the questions was on applied ethics (maybe sexual ethics) and the question mentioned natural law, how many theories would you compare it with?

Ah OK, I didn't know that, thanks, I'll have to revise at least one other, it'll probably be business ethics.

ReputationRep:
    That's brilliant, thank you!

I think I understand what you're saying and it's similar to what I've been trying to do in some of the practice essays. So what I've been doing is, making it clear which side I would argue, then give strengths of this argument. I would then also give the weaknesses but I would then try and counter these with some strength and give the weaknesses of the other side of the argument. I would then conclude by re-iterating why I find one side stronger than the other. Would you say that's reasonable?

Also how many different theories would you refer to in your essay? So if the questions was on applied ethics (maybe sexual ethics) and the question mentioned natural law, how many theories would you compare it with?

Ah OK, I didn't know that, thanks, I'll have to revise at least one other, it'll probably be business ethics.
    Yeah absolutely, and mention that where one theory may have a downfall, a different theory can overcome this but then perhaps the other theory has weaknesses of its own etc. If you do this, you're guaranteed to be analytical throughout so just make sure that you're answering the question well and everything should hopefully be fine.

If there was an applied question with natural law, I would mention two other theories alongside it I think. Or at least one other in great depth. I like contrasting natural law and utilitarianism so I would definitely use them two and then either kant or virtue ethics depending on the question. What would you use? I will just mention, business came up in january so environment could be more likely to come up - but there is no saying with ocr!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah absolutely, and mention that where one theory may have a downfall, a different theory can overcome this but then perhaps the other theory has weaknesses of its own etc. If you do this, you're guaranteed to be analytical throughout so just make sure that you're answering the question well and everything should hopefully be fine.

If there was an applied question with natural law, I would mention two other theories alongside it I think. Or at least one other in great depth. I like contrasting natural law and utilitarianism so I would definitely use them two and then either kant or virtue ethics depending on the question. What would you use? I will just mention, business came up in january so environment could be more likely to come up - but there is no saying with ocr!
    I would always try to include at least two other theories. I always seem to be arguing against utilitarianism, I guess I'm not a fan of 'majority is always right' as utilitarianism implies. It does however make a good comparison with Natural Law, with Natural being deontological and utilitarianism being generally teleological so I do tend to pair them up and then bring it kantian ethics maybe a bit later.

One other question (you've been extremely useful), what is your opinion on using first person in an essay?

ReputationRep:
    I would always try to include at least two other theories. I always seem to be arguing against utilitarianism, I guess I'm not a fan of 'majority is always right' as utilitarianism implies. It does however make a good comparison with Natural Law, with Natural being deontological and utilitarianism being generally teleological so I do tend to pair them up and then bring it kantian ethics maybe a bit later.

One other question (you've been extremely useful), what is your opinion on using first person in an essay?
    Yeah them two are a good pair to contrast with but yeah sounds like a good idea. Oh no problem Erm I don't every use my opinion in an essay but once again it's a lot down to choice. Instead I prefer to use more concrete statements such as 'it can be seen' and 'from this we can evaluate' rather than I think, because by that you're still putting in what you think and are answering the question.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah them two are a good pair to contrast with but yeah sounds like a good idea. Oh no problem Erm I don't every use my opinion in an essay but once again it's a lot down to choice. Instead I prefer to use more concrete statements such as 'it can be seen' and 'from this we can evaluate' rather than I think, because by that you're still putting in what you think and are answering the question.
    That's great, thanks again for all your help.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guyss,

i was just wondering does anyone have any predictions for what will come up on 6th june for OCR Ethics A2?

my school decided to leave out business and environmental ethics? I dont think it had a high chance of coming up.. as it already did in jan. and last summer infact!!

thanks

ReputationRep:

I dont think business and environment will come up.. cos it came up in jan and last summer. I think its sexual ethics turn to have an appearance x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rishma20)
    I dont think business and environment will come up.. cos it came up in jan and last summer. I think its sexual ethics turn to have an appearance x
    Sexual ethics came up in January, i'm not sure if you were aware or not. Also, sexual ethics has come up on 6 past papers, I mean I would love for there to be one but I'm not that sure. Whereas business and environmental have only been up 4 times each. It's very risky for you school to leave them out.

I predict environmental, it hasn't been up in a year and business and sexual came up in January just my thought though. Also, I see a predestination question to be very likely or determinism of some kind.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

Any predictions for A2 philosophy? I'm revising everything but I would like to know if your teachers or you guys have predictions on specific topics that know might come up, it would be very useful!

Thank You

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cina)
    I doubt life after death, it's come up twice in a row!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Do you have predictions made for Philosophy A2? Would be very helpful! Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by copril)
    Could someone help me out with the similarities, differences, strengths and weaknesses of analogy, symbol and myth. In a question which says to compare them, I wouldn't have a clue which one was best. I'd also find it difficult to stretch out the strengths and weaknesses of both to a whole essay... Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Hiya! I wrote notes on these the other day on paper, good bit of mind refreshing to type them up for you! I've attached them as a word document.

If anyone could help me out on symbol i'd be much appreciated - it seems a little too ridiculous in how I understand it, so i'm feeling i must be misunderstanding it!
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: docx SYMBOLMYTHANALOGY.docx (18.8 KB, 161 views)

ReputationRep:
    I've decided to leave out applied ethics topics - business, environment and sexual ethics. I did the same for AS - I get so muddled up trying to answer the question that I just don't write effectively. I've revised virtue ethics though.
    If I was forced to write something on business, environment or sexual ethics, I reckon i'd be okay. I have enough of a personal interest in the topics to keep up to date with the issues they involve, and I suspect most of the people here will have too: they seem like HUGE topics, but as long as you know the key words, you can be so selective with what to write about due to their size - and selective is better (it's also something i'm awful at....hence the avoidance!)

ReputationRep:
    what's the least likely philosophy of religion topic to come up in your opinions?

ReputationRep:
    Ooh, 'found the thread.

I'm having a horrible time at the moment, trying to work out how to write a decent essay. My marks have been relatively high, always going over 27 marks out of the 35 available - I've had a run of 32-33/35 mark essays from my teachers when I've asked them to mark them. The problem is is that over the half term, I've been writing more to pass the time, now that there is no more content to revise. It's all going pear-shaped - it's been a load of 27s and I don't really know what to do next.

The handwriting is one problem - it's getting worse. But my writing style is too much, apparently. I just don't know anymore. Do any of you have teachers or tutors who have suggested a certain style or method for your essay responses?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I was wondering if someone might be able to clarify something for me. On the ethics specification, where it says "the issues surrounding sexual ethics - premarital and extramarital sex, contraception, homosexuality", what exactly is meant by "the issues"? Are there specific "issues" that are to do with these four aspects of sexual ethics; or is it that these four aspects ARE the issues?

I figured I need to be pretty good at the sexual ethics topic, seeing as my sacrifice choice is environmental and business ethics. It's just so dull...

ReputationRep:
    With religious experience and miracles I get that there are obvious similarities. But with questions that address one, would it be bad to address the other if it was relevant? Eg. if there was a question like 'to what extent is God revealed through holy scripture?' could you talk about experience and scripture, but then say God is better revealed through miracles etc. Like, can you mix topics as long as you stay completely relevant or can you not cross topics? Ah so confused! :'(

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by khana_bi)
    Hi, I was wondering if someone might be able to clarify something for me. On the ethics specification, where it says "the issues surrounding sexual ethics - premarital and extramarital sex, contraception, homosexuality", what exactly is meant by "the issues"? Are there specific "issues" that are to do with these four aspects of sexual ethics; or is it that these four aspects ARE the issues?

I figured I need to be pretty good at the sexual ethics topic, seeing as my sacrifice choice is environmental and business ethics. It's just so dull...
    I think you're over complicating things. By issues it just means the controversy surrounding them, arguments for and against etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by khana_bi)

They are the 4 issues, the question will either specify focus on one or say 'sexual issues' and allow the choice on which ones to mention

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.