The Student Room Group

OCR A2 Religious Studies - Thursday 6th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by Itsallgoodya
hey (:
any predictions for the A2 New Testament paper on the 6th?
I'm guessing not person of Jesus and Law and Ethics because they came up in Jan?
idk though, any help would be really appreciated, thanks.

For NT I'm hoping for a kingdom of god, parables and something like comparing authorship of matthew and mark.
Safe to say i've not even started revision for this paper yet... but I didnt revise last year and did okay, so fingers crossed :P
Reply 141
Original post by Cina
I doubt life after death, it's come up twice in a row!

Posted from TSR Mobile

They always pick a question from each area of the spec and there are 4 areas, so we will get "something" related to life after death/
Reply 142
Can anyone quickly answer me:

Is this correct?

Hare accepted Flews’ idea that Falsification could be used to determine the meaningfulness of statements. However, he argued that Falsification did not apply to religious statements. Hare did not consider religious statements to be factual assertions that could be either true or false (cognitive). He argued that although nothing can count against religious statements (they are not falsifiable) this did not mean that they had to be meaningless. Religious language is non-cognitive, it cannot make factual claims.
However, Hare still believed Religious language has meaning. They do not convey knowledge about the world, but their meaning arises from the way they are used and impact on people’s lives.
Is that in ethics or philosophy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 144
Original post by ehtisham_1
Is that in ethics or philosophy

Posted from TSR Mobile

Philosophy! x
Original post by Divergent
Can anyone quickly answer me:

Is this correct?

Hare accepted Flews’ idea that Falsification could be used to determine the meaningfulness of statements. However, he argued that Falsification did not apply to religious statements. Hare did not consider religious statements to be factual assertions that could be either true or false (cognitive). He argued that although nothing can count against religious statements (they are not falsifiable) this did not mean that they had to be meaningless. Religious language is non-cognitive, it cannot make factual claims.
However, Hare still believed Religious language has meaning. They do not convey knowledge about the world, but their meaning arises from the way they are used and impact on people’s lives.

Yeah that's right :smile:
Original post by BooJackson
With religious experience and miracles I get that there are obvious similarities. But with questions that address one, would it be bad to address the other if it was relevant? Eg. if there was a question like 'to what extent is God revealed through holy scripture?' could you talk about experience and scripture, but then say God is better revealed through miracles etc. Like, can you mix topics as long as you stay completely relevant or can you not cross topics? Ah so confused! :'(

It wouldn't be incorrect as such to mention miracles if religious experience came up but I wouldn't if I was you. Purely for the fact I think there is so much information as it is, you'll do a good essay with the relevant section material. Only if you don't remember information to answer the question would I consider using other topics
Reply 147
For the philosophy side do you think it would be okay if i learnt just miracles and life and death? since miracles is bound to come up and for the rest there's an equal chance of them coming up
Reply 148
Also what textbooks are we all using to revise from? I'm using this one by Jill Oliphant but I feel it's too concise and without depth

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Username_valid
For Ethics, Environment and business ethics is mentioned together in the syllabus, does that mean they can only ask one question on either of these (or possibly even both) but they can't ask two separate questions can they?

I don't like environmental and virtue ethics as much as the others, so if I did not revise environment, business and virtue, I would still have at least two other questions to choose from right?

June 2012: question 2 was on business and 4 was on business, so they can ask 2 questions on the one subtopic :/
Original post by GLOB
For the philosophy side do you think it would be okay if i learnt just miracles and life and death? since miracles is bound to come up and for the rest there's an equal chance of them coming up

That seems pretty limited, what happens if they come up with some really complicated question? I would have at least one other topic I was pretty happy with. And I'm not sure you can say Miracles is bound to come up, it seems likely sure, but it isn't guaranteed in any way.
Would someone be so kind of giving me a detailed plan to this question, or any other philosophy question, its cos I feel like it would be good to get some guidance. Thanks

Critically asses the problem for believers that god is omniscient? Discuss
Reply 152
Original post by izzabellezi
Hiya! I wrote notes on these the other day on paper, good bit of mind refreshing to type them up for you! I've attached them as a word document.

If anyone could help me out on symbol i'd be much appreciated - it seems a little too ridiculous in how I understand it, so i'm feeling i must be misunderstanding it!

Thank you! :smile: I find symbol confusing, I'm pretty sure I understand it but it's difficult to see what he's actually saying. But I think that's due to the meaning of 'participates in' being unclear, which Hick criticised and that we don't really use symbol and sign in the way Tillich suggests which I think Macquarrie criticised...
Reply 153
Original post by GLOB

Seems a bit risky, what if it's a really horrible question? Perhaps at least revise the basics of the rest of them so that if a really easy question comes up for one of them you won't miss out on it? Also, don't forget the synoptic element, they all link up so it's difficult to forget any of them really. :smile:
Reply 154
Original post by GLOB
Also what textbooks are we all using to revise from? I'm using this one by Jill Oliphant but I feel it's too concise and without depth

Posted from TSR Mobile

I use the Jill Oliphant one and I think it's good for some things but then not so great for others... I also use Richard Wright 'A complete guide to OCR AS and A2, the philosophical investigations site and RS revision site and if I'm still in doubt a google of a particular topic is helpful. :smile:
Reply 155
Hey guys you know that blog post on miracles - would you lot say that's all we need to know on miracles for the exam?
Reply 156
Original post by copril
Seems a bit risky, what if it's a really horrible question? Perhaps at least revise the basics of the rest of them so that if a really easy question comes up for one of them you won't miss out on it? Also, don't forget the synoptic element, they all link up so it's difficult to forget any of them really. :smile:

Yes, you're right, I'll revise another topic and there's a synoptic element!?! What does this require from us?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ashleyd
Hey guys you know that blog post on miracles - would you lot say that's all we need to know on miracles for the exam?

what blog post?
I have never been so stressed!! Ive done my philosophy revision (leaving out religious experience because I hate it!!!! I'm hoping it doesn't come up) and I'm now onto ethics which i feel I haven't even learnt!! Im not revising, it seems as if I'm teaching myself the topics again. Luckily my results last year were better than expected and I achieved 100/100 on ethics (dont ask me how) so i guess this gives me a bit of lee-way on this years paper, I'm counting on Free Will and determinism to come up I think and I'm going to tackle sexual or meta for the second, I'm avoiding business and environment completely! i HATE that topic so much! lets hope its not a repeat of 2012 where they asked 2 separate questions on business and environment! hows everyone else feeling?? cant believe its under a week!!!!!!:mad:
Reply 159
Hey guys I was just wondering how much you were expected to write for a 35 mark question in the rs exam and also how much checking time you would expect to have.

Quick Reply