Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Current year 11's - do you know what uni course you want to study? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Predicted GCSE Grades:
    A* Maths (got it in November and now doing an FSMQ), A* Biology, Chemistry, Physics, History, Geography, ICT, with As in English Lang/Lit and Spanish. At the moment, I'm on course for everything except Geography and Spanish.

A-Levels:
    Further Maths, Maths, Physics, Computing and an EPQ.

University:
    Looking to do Mathematics at Cambridge or Oxford, although I'll gladly go for Manchester or Warwick if I don't do too well in STEP.

Work Experience:
    In terms of academic studies, I've self-taught myself 80% of the AS+A2 Maths syllabus and I hope to finish FP1,2 and maybe 3 in ~2 months; I have the textbook and a calculator, so it shouldn't be too strenuous I don't really have any work experience, but I don't really know of any to be had in maths. Somebody please tell me if there is, though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatart123)
    Predicted GCSE Grades:
    A* Maths (got it in November and now doing an FSMQ), A* Biology, Chemistry, Physics, History, Geography, ICT, with As in English Lang/Lit and Spanish. At the moment, I'm on course for everything except Geography and Spanish.

A-Levels:
    Further Maths, Maths, Physics, Computing and an EPQ.

University:
    Looking to do Mathematics at Cambridge or Oxford, although I'll gladly go for Manchester or Warwick if I don't do too well in STEP.

Work Experience:
    In terms of academic studies, I've self-taught myself 80% of the AS+A2 Maths syllabus and I hope to finish FP1,2 and maybe 3 in ~2 months; I have the textbook and a calculator, so it shouldn't be too strenuous I don't really have any work experience, but I don't really know of any to be had in maths. Somebody please tell me if there is, though!
    "Work experience" in maths isn't really a thing. You could tutor GCSE maths students or something, but that's about it. Neither common nor necessary to get into a top uni, anyway, but it could be helpful.

Good ECs like olympiad medals and stuff can be good too, but again not necessary. What's important is that you show that you're passionate about maths. Most top applicants do this by reading maths-related books and studying topics outside of the A-level syllabus.

ReputationRep:
    Predicted grades: Art, English Language - A ; German, Geography, Physics, History, - B Maths and Biology - C ( I have done the whole GCSEs in one year, as I have done some other curriculum last year, so my grades would have been better)
    A-levels you plan on taking: Art, Physics, Mathematics and Business Studies.

University plans: I want to do Industrial/Product Design
    Which university: Coventry/Bournemouth/Loughborough/Huddersfield/Derby/something else
    Work experience:Doing work experience this June, probably something linked to business.

ReputationRep:
    I've already got 5 A* and an A and i'm in year 11 atm. I'm aiming to get 8A*, then medicine at oxbridge or other Russel Group universities

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by king_revision)
    I've already got 5 A* and an A and i'm in year 11 atm. I'm aiming to get 8A*, then medicine at oxbridge or other Russel Group universities
    I also want to study med too! What alevel subjects are you taking?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm not doing A-Level, I think I'm going to do the International Baccalaureate, as it's more strenuous and more highly regraded. However, if I decide against it, i've taken Bio, Chem, Maths, Further Maths and Economics. My siblings all took that and then dropped further maths t A2

ReputationRep:
    I'm not doing A-Level, I think I'm going to do the International Baccalaureate, as it's more strenuous and more highly regraded. However, if I decide against it, i've taken Bio, Chem, Maths, Further Maths and Economics. My siblings all took that and then dropped further maths t A2
    Do. Not. Do. IB. It isn't more highly regarded, Universities do not give a **** if you do IB or A-Levels. It is not worth it. I'm doing the IB atm.

ReputationRep:
    Your siblings study medicine too?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Predicted GCSE grades: As and A*s A levels: Biology, Chemistry, Maths, English Lit. University plans: not really sure, either medicine or a degree to help me become a university lecturer. Desired University: I would love to get into Bristol University! Work experience: Did a week in a hospital, hoping to get more some time during college and a part time job in summer, hopefully I won't be too lazy!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Calllu-m)
    Do. Not. Do. IB. It isn't more highly regarded, Universities do not give a **** if you do IB or A-Levels. It is not worth it. I'm doing the IB atm.
    Depends on the school really, if you're not doing it at a good school. It's obviously going to be ****. I've got a place at the 4th best independent school in the country...

ReputationRep:
    Predicted grades(CIE IGCSE): A*A*A*A*A*AAAA (plus achieved A* for Business Studies)
    A-levels: Depends. Either History, Lit, Maths, Economics or Chemistry, Lit, Maths, Economics
    Uni course: PPE or something along those lines.
    Work Experience: Does volunteering and teaching orphans count?

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the school really, if you're not doing it at a good school. It's obviously going to be ****. I've got a place at the 4th best independent school in the country...
    I go to a top independent school, the best in Scotland and one of the best in the UK. It makes no difference. It doesn't matter if you do IB or A-Levels. I'm not saying it's hard don't do it. I'm saying it's creating more work unnecessarily. I've been through 2 years of the IB, I know what I'm talking about kid.

ReputationRep:
    I go to a top independent school, the best in Scotland and one of the best in the UK. It makes no difference. It doesn't matter if you do IB or A-Levels. I'm not saying it's hard don't do it. I'm saying it's creating more work unnecessarily. I've been through 2 years of the IB, I know what I'm talking about kid.
    I agree with this ^

ReputationRep:
    Predicted GCSE grades: 10A*s and 1 A
    A-levels you plan on taking: Maths, English Literature, Religious Studies and History
    University plans (if any): Philosophy or Theology or possibly English
    Work experience: None

ReputationRep:
    I agree too. I had a place at a uwc but I gave it up because I realised that I wanted to study in the uk anyway and it would be a lot easier to just do a levels. Everyone who I know who's done the IB says its ridiculously hard-they don't regret it, but really, why create more work?

ReputationRep:
    predicted GCSE grades: A* physics, A* Biology, B Chemistry, A Maths, A* English, A History, B French, already have RE: A and English language: A*
    A-levels you plan on taking:Physics, Maths, Economics and either PE or Biology
    University plans (if any) :dont know
    Which university: dont know
    Work experience: BP and a law firm

ReputationRep:
    predicted GCSE grades: Straight A's with A*A* in my BTEC (wish I picked French instead, too late) and A* in TD
    A-levels you plan on taking: Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Economics
    University plans (if any) : Either Economics or CompSci
    Which university: Edinburgh or QUB (since it's 10 mins on the train ahaha)
    Work experience: Little bit of work for a small business that seems to do everything in the IT sector from maintenance to hosting servers

ReputationRep:
    Predicted GCSE grades: 6A* 2A 2B
    A-levels I plan on taking: English Lit, Geography, Government and Politics and History
    University plans: Undecided on History or Law.
    Which university: Not sure yet.
    Work Experience: Helping out at my old primary school

ReputationRep:
    Predicted: 7 A*'s, 7 A's A levels: English Lit, history, economics and sociology or maths Uni: Not sure but either want to go into law or something like marketing management.

ReputationRep:
    Predicted : A* in 8 (already got maths), A in history and B in French (probably going to get A in English though) as well as an A** in further maths (A* with distinction)
    A levels : Further maths, Economics, Geography and Physics
    Uni : No plan, going try for Oxbridge
    Work experience : Estate agent as well as PR assistant at NCS gig in Manchester

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.