Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Current year 11's - do you know what uni course you want to study? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blue.racoon59)
    No, you're not! I became really interested in my future after I saw all the work my sister did to apply to an university. I realized that GCSEs are actually quite important because if you get low grades you're limiting your university choices! Thank God I saw my sister work hard otherwise I think I might've thought A levels were a breeze.

Predicted GCSE grades: 9 A* and 1A
    A-levels you plan on taking: Spanish (so excited for this one but I think I'll drop it after AS level to focus on the others), Biology, Chemistry, Maths
    University plans (if any) : Hopefully study dentistry
    Which university: Not sure - but not the one in Ireland (Queens Belfast?) because I want to be able to visit my parents quite often)
    Work experience: None But I know I most definitely will after my GCSEs. The thing is I've heard it's hard to get work experience in the dental field which is vital to get into any UK university. But I'll definitely volunteer!
    Hehe same here! My brother was applying to uni and it's what got me thinking. Your predicted grades are amazing! I'm planning on doing Spanish, biology and chemistry too Work experience is difficult to get at the moment, I'm 16 at the end of the summer holiday's, so can't do any this summer in a hospital Volunteering all the way! Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    OMG.. Eveyone is so clever on TSR.. However, i'm so stupid, as the highest I can ever achieve is a C.

ReputationRep:
    predicted GCSE grades: apparently all Bs according to that program that predicts it, but there is no way I'm getting anything below an A in any subject
    A-levels you plan on taking: doing the IB: SL World Literature, German and History, HL Mathematics, Chemistry and Spanish
    University plans (if any) : hopefully Imperial for Mathematics with Applied Mathematics/Mathematical Physics
    Which university: as I said Imperial, if not, something inside London
    Work experience: none so far in the field, have a bit of experience from the school, but not one place wants to employ me right now so I will have to rely on enrichment

ReputationRep:
    Predicted grades:all A*s but probs some As as well
    A levels: Maths, English lit, Economics and Politics
    Uni plans: Don't know to be honest- thinking about politics or economics orientated- maybe english
    Uni: I was looking at Bath because it's such a beautiful area and cool, maybe Oxford, but I''m not sure yet with all the snobby hoohaa surrounding it- I'd like to go somewhere a bit more down to earth- which hopefully it is.
    Work experience: did a bit in the library lol- this summer I'm hoping to get a job though- need the money bruhh
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophia 1)
    Predicted grades:all A*s but probs some As as well
    A levels: Maths, English lit, Economics and Politics
    Uni plans: Don't know to be honest- thinking about politics or economics orientated- maybe english
    Uni: I was looking at Bath because it's such a beautiful area and cool, maybe Oxford, but I''m not sure yet with all the snobby hoohaa surrounding it- I'd like to go somewhere a bit more down to earth- which hopefully it is.
    Work experience: did a bit in the library lol- this summer I'm hoping to get a job though- need the money bruhh
    Only certain colleges in Oxford are snobby in reality, and its certainly not as bad as Durham. You just need to know which colleges to avoid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aurorae)
    Only certain colleges in Oxford are snobby in reality, and its certainly not as bad as Durham. You just need to know which colleges to avoid.
    Hopefully! Anyways I can't really escape from the fact that I'm quite middle class myself really. I don't know as much about unis as others on here- maybe it's because I'm the oldest child so I'm the first through the system
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully! Anyways I can't really escape from the fact that I'm quite middle class myself really. I don't know as much about unis as others on here- maybe it's because I'm the oldest child so I'm the first through the system
    The number of successful applicants from state schools is roughly comparable to the amount of successful applicants from private school, so it's not as if you're the only middle class person to look at Oxford. If you have time in the summer holidays, go and have a look around!

ReputationRep:
    Either Electric and Electronic Engineering, or the same but with Mathematics in Nottingham University. Its one of the top uni's for that course and ima ctually looking forward to it

ReputationRep:
    The number of successful applicants from state schools is roughly comparable to the amount of successful applicants from private school, so it's not as if you're the only middle class person to look at Oxford. If you have time in the summer holidays, go and have a look around!
    fanks bruhh- I go to a grammar school, so I don't pay but you have to take a test to get in. Wait- if you count state schools as middle class, what class are people from private schools?
    And as a side note- I reckon I could get into Oxford if i worked hard enough, I think many people could- it just takes hard work- depends if they really want it you get me?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    fanks bruhh- I go to a grammar school, so I don't pay but you have to take a test to get in. Wait- if you count state schools as middle class, what class are people from private schools?
    And as a side note- I reckon I could get into Oxford if i worked hard enough, I think many people could- it just takes hard work- depends if they really want it you get me?
    If grammar school is middle class, I'm lower class. :lol: (I'd class state as middle and grammar and private as upper middle but that's just my experience) If I'm honest, I don't get how 'class' would impact on your university choices anyway. Higher education at university is mainly about academics, not social status.

Likely true. If you're hungry enough for the place and meet the minimum requirements, there should always be a decent chance for getting into Oxbridge.

ReputationRep:
    If grammar school is middle class, I'm lower class. :lol: (I'd class state as middle and grammar and private as upper middle but that's just my experience) If I'm honest, I don't get how 'class' would impact on your university choices anyway. Higher education at university is mainly about academics, not social status.

Likely true. If you're hungry enough for the place and meet the minimum requirements, there should always be a decent chance for getting into Oxbridge.
    Nahh I know what you mean, I was just interested. I would count myself as middle class because my mum is a teacher, but we're not that rich so I wouldn't count us as upper class- I count a millionaire as upper class defo- probably people at private schools, but many who go to private schools aren't that rich nowadays either.

I wouldn't count grammar schools as a higher class than state as both are free- any class can go, that's why I like the idea in theory.

I didn't mean you have to be a certain class to go to a uni- but some unis like Oxford are renowned for being upper class and snobbish- which I don't know if I fancy. But I think i might just go for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farah_786)
    OMG.. Eveyone is so clever on TSR.. However, i'm so stupid, as the highest I can ever achieve is a C.
    I've also notice how everyone on here seems to be an honour student ahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    ok, i know you probably have come across a person at some point in yur lives who will always say this . . .

but i really want to get into oxford. cambridge would be nice too, but oxford is the one for me

though i dont mind going to ucl to do medicine.

and the course i want to study... i want to keep my options free at the moment, and choose a bit later, when i am confident that this is what i want to do. i want to either be a gynacologist, a cardiologist, a neurologist, or something else in (general)surgery

my predicted grades are a/b grades but thats only because of a silly midyest test in yr 7. and work experience ... well only school work experience in a dentist, so not a lot. but in summer hopefully i can do something.

oh and good luck to everyone for getting into their desired destination!!!!

ReputationRep:
    PREDICTED GCSE GRADES: 10.5 As - already got an A in maths
    A-LEVELS YOU PLAN ON TAKING: maths, biology, chemistry and geography
    UNIVERSITY PLANS: hope to study veterinary medicine :moo:
    WHICH UNI: Liverpool even though I live at the other end of the country haha
    WORK EXPERIENCE: nearly a year in a kennels and cattery, and a week booked at SA vets in August. Oh and hopefully a week at a zoo in October

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ferrari Lexus)
    ok, i know you probably have come across a person at some point in yur lives who will always say this . . .

but i really want to get into oxford. cambridge would be nice too, but oxford is the one for me

though i dont mind going to ucl to do medicine.

and the course i want to study... i want to keep my options free at the moment, and choose a bit later, when i am confident that this is what i want to do. i want to either be a gynacologist, a cardiologist, a neurologist, or something else in (general)surgery

my predicted grades are a/b grades but thats only because of a silly midyest test in yr 7. and work experience ... well only school work experience in a dentist, so not a lot. but in summer hopefully i can do something.

oh and good luck to everyone for getting into their desired destination!!!!

seems like you have a very detailed plan!! UCL is a very nice medical school and i would like to go there if cambridge doesn't want me but i will try my best!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JackTeh96)
    seems like you have a very detailed plan!! UCL is a very nice medical school and i would like to go there if cambridge doesn't want me but i will try my best!
    Same, coz its still sich a nice uni! i wnt their for a lecture!! AWESOME!!!

ReputationRep:
    predicted GCSE grades: A* s, my french listening exam did not go well though
    A-levels you plan on taking:
    Maths, Biology, History and either RS or Chemistry
    University plans (if any) :
    not sure, but I'm interested in law or something to do with biology (I think you can tell I'm a little indecisive)
    Which university:
    if law, then going to the Groningen, Netherlands would be amazing
    Work experience:
    none does anyone have any advice on getting some?
    I am going on a scientific expedition to work with biological researchers in Indonesia next year! will be awesome

And best wishes to everyone doing exams, I hope you achieve the grades you want

ReputationRep:
    predicted GCSE grades: A* x 8 and 1 A (art!), A for FSMQ Ad maths,A^ (double star, I know it's crazy) for Further Maths, B for AS Economics and Critical Thinking
    A-levels you plan on taking: Further Maths, Maths, Physics, Chemistry, History, EPQ (compulsory)
    University plans (if any) : Maths!
    Which university: Cambridge, Exeter or Durham
    Work experience:
    1 week with the Millennium Mathematics Project

Cambridge is a long shot, but I'm going to try anyway

ReputationRep:
    Predicted gcses: a*s in all sciences all A's and a b in English lit

A-level choice: economics Italian biology chemistry.

University: Exeter, bath or ucl to study biochemistry.
    Always wanted to open up a bar though lol :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Red Fox)
    Predicted GCSE grades: 5A* and 1A. Already have an A* in Maths, A in Geography and a B in English Language.
    A-levels you plan on taking: Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry.
    University plans (if any) : Engineering/Physics
    Which university: Oxford or UCL
    Work experience: Red Bull Racing
    My brother is doing mechanical engineering at imperial London, he says its hard work but well worth it! Good luck anyways, and red bull racing work experience sounds great!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Which pet is the best?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.