Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Current year 11's - do you know what uni course you want to study? Watch

ReputationRep:
    predicted GCSE grades: Don't have any!
    A-levels you plan on taking:
    English Literature, Biology, Chemistry, Psychology.
    University plans (if any) :
    Medicine.
    Which university:
    Oxford/ Manchester ideally.
    Work experience:
    Teaching primary school kids about vocational college courses & (will be doing later this year) Pharmacy work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jatz07)
    cool, thank you very much! You're really helpful Do you think I could of done an extra GCSE to increase my chances of getting into dentistry?

Yes, I've done loads of extra curricular activities. I'm also a 1st dan black belt in karate, I've performed in Hammersmith Apollo infront of 5000+ people (where they do britain's got talent), I go to this programme called 'urban scholars' once every saturday and I do lots of sports... I'm also thinking of applying to imperial summer school this year. I might do the 'challenge' too in the summer.

Also, at A Level (I'm not being 'big-headed') but say if you do really really well in your A Levels and get A* in all subjects would it count as 4 A* or 5A* (bio chem maths history and EPQ) Does the EPQ count as 1 A Level?

Thanks

Jatz

Honestly, 11 GCSES are more than enough.
    Liverpool only count your top 9 anyway (for medicine) including science, maths and eng. My school did 11, so the extra two dont count.

A-level wise, 4A* for A-level
    EPQ is an AS but you can get an A*.

Again, focus on 4 AS and then after results day decide if you want to do 3 or 4. I was certain on doing all 4, then after AS I was like meh cba with the extra work and would rather use the extra time for more volunteering so dropped it and am focusing on getting the best possible at A2.

Please remember, doing tonnes of extra academic is not worthy as extra curricular, because academically all applicants meet the minimum and the difference between them is experience and

Academically, I did the minimum I'd say compared to many and got an offer for medicine and friends with top grades got straight rejections because they over-did it with extra A-levels and came across as bookworms as they only had 1 hobby or 2 months of volunteering.

Atm, you're fine tbh so dw! Focus on your GCSE exams for now and over sixthform do some volunteering, more work experience, focus on A-levels and manual dexterity.

ReputationRep:
    Predicted GCSE grades: A*A*A*AAAAB + 2 Distinctions (Maths but I have resat one of my modules, so hopefully I'll be able to get an A)

A-levels you plan on taking: British History, English Literature, Philosophy, Art History.

University plans (if any) : English Literature or joint honours in English Lit and either History or Philosophy then an English PGCE and maybe a Masters...

Which university: Oxford (the dream :ahee:) or York

Work experience: None yet. Will have a lot of extracurriculars such as college newspaper, debating club, volunteering, etc.

ReputationRep:
    predicted GCSE grades: A*A*A*A*AAAABBB
    A-levels you plan on taking: German, History, Maths
    Which university: n/a
    Work experience: /

ReputationRep:
    So glad other people have been thinking about this and im not the only one!!!
    predicted GCSE grades: 10 As and 4 A*s
    A-levels you plan on taking: English Lit, English Language, History, Biology and i am currently taking AS Critical Thinking
    University plans (if any) : Cambridge for English, Nottingham, Vanderbilt, Columbia and Dartmouth if i go to the US- To study English,. Possibly Law.
    Work experience:
    I did a week with a Barrister in court and at chambers, hoping to do a week with Vogue/Vanity Fair etc. Possibly some work with a production company such as Granada etc.

ReputationRep:
    My predicted grades are all a's/a*s and I plan I doing english combined, psychology, philosophy, and film studies. I plan on doing creative writing not entirely sure on the university yet though

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Predicted GCSE grades: All A's, except Geography which is an A*.

A-levels you plan on taking: Mathematics and Further Mathematics, Chemisty, Biology and Physics.

University plans (if any): Hopefully one of the Russel Group ones, but I don't know how hard it is to get into them.

Work experience: No idea, I've only done one which was arranged by the school. I had to work in an office for solicitors which was dreadfully boring. I don't think I'll be doing any more work experience for the coming year unless the school arranges something again.

Extra activities: Piano and D of E. I don't really think my volunteering for D of E really counts towards work experience since I volunteer within the school and just sit there.

ReputationRep:
    predicted GCSE grades: A* A* AAAABB ID ID
    A-levels you plan on taking: History English Lit Biology Chemistry
    University plans (if any) : Law
    Which university: probably one of Liverpool, Manchester, Cardiff or Lancaster
    Work experience: My aunt is a barrister so this summer i'm going to do some work experience at the firm she works for

Just hope i can get the predicted grades. Any advice on a levels or uni law would be great

ReputationRep:
    Why does everyone wanna do medicine? LOL
    Money is in research not just medicine.

ReputationRep:
    Predicted GCSE grades: As and Bs and a couple of A*s
    A-levels you plan on taking: Maths, physics, French and art
    University plans (if any): Biomedical engineering or interpreting and translating
    Which university: Manchester or York
    Work experience: I had two weeks work experience in a nursery (didn't have a choice >_>) and I'm planning on doing some more work this summer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BioGeek)
    Why does everyone wanna do medicine? LOL
    Money is in research not just medicine.
    Amen to that Statement! My cousin works as an Biochemist researcher at the University of Toronto and he creates sample of biomolecules that cost $30,000 dollars per sample.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alice_c_97)
    Hey all,
    Kinda new to this so sorry if this is wrong :confused:
    Just really wondering if anyone knows what uni course they're going to take & what a-levels etc.
    Please answer:

predicted GCSE grades:
    Which university:
    Work experience:

My predicted grades are all A/A* and I plan on taking biology, chemistry and Spanish for definite next year, just unsure on my 4th :/ I hope to study either medicine/nursing/pharmacy at university hopefully in London, Bristol or Birmingham. I'm also taking part in extra-cirriculars to help myself 'stand out' from everyone:L

I've been thinking about the future a lot and just wondered if I was the only one?!
    predicted GCSE grades:
    Maths (A*)
    English (A*)
    Core Science (A*)
    Additional Science (A*)
    IFS (A*)
    Geography :mad:(B) By ONE MARK!!

Maths
    Further Maths
    Physics
    Economics

Computer Science at some uni?

Which university:
    University of Cambridge (pffftt!)
    University of Warwick
    University of Nottingham

Work experience:

None because I don't think you can find w/e for CompSci?

ReputationRep:
    predicted GCSE grades: AAABBBBBC, I'll probably get a bit higher than that though. Got a C in Core Science, on Foundation for Additional.. pah... and I got an A* in a History module.
    A-levels you plan on taking: History, French, Psychology and Government & Politics.
    University plans (if any) : Law, may do a joint honours degree in something like Law and Politics or Law and French, but I don't know.
    Which university: Really depends on what I get in my AS Levels. Oxbridge is most likely out of the question, but I was thinking of Cardiff being my firm, although the requirements are something like AAB which I doubt I'll be able to get, but whatever it's years away.
    Work experience: I did a week within the Hillingdon Libraries Services if that counts? I'll see if I can get work experience at a barrister chambers or a law firm if I can during Sixth Form.

ReputationRep:
    predicted grades, all a's and b's, doing all my sciences at gcse.
    a levels - biology, chemistry, psychology and sociology
    uni course - midwifery 3 years, at southampton or manchester (main choices)..

i think it's good to know, then you have something to encourage you and keep you going cos exams can be hard and a bore

ReputationRep:

Alevels:

Mathematics and hopefully Further Maths AS during A2.
    Chemistry
    Physics
    Biology

GCSEs(August 2012): A*A*A*A*AAABBB

Career: Chemical/Mechanical/Electrical Engineering. Not sure yet. All depends on my grades for this year!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alice_c_97)
    Hey all,
    Kinda new to this so sorry if this is wrong :confused:
    Just really wondering if anyone knows what uni course they're going to take & what a-levels etc.
    Please answer:

predicted GCSE grades:
    Which university:
    Work experience:

My predicted grades are all A/A* and I plan on taking biology, chemistry and Spanish for definite next year, just unsure on my 4th :/ I hope to study either medicine/nursing/pharmacy at university hopefully in London, Bristol or Birmingham. I'm also taking part in extra-cirriculars to help myself 'stand out' from everyone:L

I've been thinking about the future a lot and just wondered if I was the only one?!
    Predicted GCSE grades: Biology, Chemistry, Physics, History, Sociology:A Maths, R.S., Citizenship: A* English Language and Literature: B (I already have a B in language) ICT: B, Spanish: C

I'm taking Biology, Chemistry, Maths and History for A levels (dropping history after AS, and I want to study Medicine or Chemistry at Uni (not decided on which but if I study Chemistry I'll want a year working in inustry to get experience and cash)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robbie242)
    Are you really this sad to quote my actual results over here? haven't you got anything better to do?
    You got AAB. Not ABC.

That guy can go ****.

6 Secrets To Success By Arnold Schwarzenegger:

1. Trust yourself
    Trust yourself, dig deep down and ask yourself: ‘who do you want to be?’. Not what, but who. Not what your parents or teachers wants you to be, but you! Figure out for yourself, what makes you happy, no matter how crazy it may sound to the people.

2. Break the rules
    We have so many rules in life about everything, break the rules! It is impossible to be a true original if you to well behaved and not break the rules, you have to think outside the box. What is the point of being on this world if all you want is to be liked by everyone. The only way that I ever got any place was by breaking some of the rules
    3. Don’t be afraid to fail
    Anything that I’ve ever attempted I was always willing to fail. You can’t always win, but don’t be afraid of making decisions. You can’t be paralyzed by fear of failure or you will never push yourself. You keep pushing because you believe in yourself and in your vision and you know that it is the right thing to do, success will come.

4. Don’t listen to the naysayer

How many times have you heard: you can’t do this, you can’t do that. It has never been done before. I love it when someone says that no one has ever done that before, because that means that if I do it, that means that I am the first one that has done it. Pay no attention to people that say that it can’t be done.
    5. Work your butt off!
    Leaving no stone unturned. Muhammed Ali, one of my greatest hero’s had a great line when he was asked: ‘how many sit ups do you do?’. He said: ‘I don’t count my sit-ups, I only start counting when it starts hurting, that is when I start counting, because then it really counts, that’s what makes you a champion’. That’s the way it is with everyting, no pain, no gain!
    Someone out there at the same time is working hard, someone is getting smarter, remember that! I’ve always figured out that there is 24 hours a day, you sleep 6 hours. That means you have 18 hours left. I know that some of you out there answers: ‘wait a minute I sleep 8 or 9 hours’. Well, than sleep faster I recommend.
    6. Giving back
    Whatever path that you take in your life, you must always find time to give something back. Give something back to your community, give something back to your state or your country. Reaching out and helping people will bring you more satisfaction than everything else you’ve ever done!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by upthegunners)
    You got AAB. Not ABC.

That guy can go ****.

6 Secrets To Success By Arnold Schwarzenegger:

1. Trust yourself
    Trust yourself, dig deep down and ask yourself: ‘who do you want to be?’. Not what, but who. Not what your parents or teachers wants you to be, but you! Figure out for yourself, what makes you happy, no matter how crazy it may sound to the people.

2. Break the rules
    We have so many rules in life about everything, break the rules! It is impossible to be a true original if you to well behaved and not break the rules, you have to think outside the box. What is the point of being on this world if all you want is to be liked by everyone. The only way that I ever got any place was by breaking some of the rules
    3. Don’t be afraid to fail
    Anything that I’ve ever attempted I was always willing to fail. You can’t always win, but don’t be afraid of making decisions. You can’t be paralyzed by fear of failure or you will never push yourself. You keep pushing because you believe in yourself and in your vision and you know that it is the right thing to do, success will come.

4. Don’t listen to the naysayer
    How many times have you heard: you can’t do this, you can’t do that. It has never been done before. I love it when someone says that no one has ever done that before, because that means that if I do it, that means that I am the first one that has done it. Pay no attention to people that say that it can’t be done.
    5. Work your butt off!
    Leaving no stone unturned. Muhammed Ali, one of my greatest hero’s had a great line when he was asked: ‘how many sit ups do you do?’. He said: ‘I don’t count my sit-ups, I only start counting when it starts hurting, that is when I start counting, because then it really counts, that’s what makes you a champion’. That’s the way it is with everyting, no pain, no gain!
    Someone out there at the same time is working hard, someone is getting smarter, remember that! I’ve always figured out that there is 24 hours a day, you sleep 6 hours. That means you have 18 hours left. I know that some of you out there answers: ‘wait a minute I sleep 8 or 9 hours’. Well, than sleep faster I recommend.
    6. Giving back
    Whatever path that you take in your life, you must always find time to give something back. Give something back to your community, give something back to your state or your country. Reaching out and helping people will bring you more satisfaction than everything else you’ve ever done!
    Actually got AAC (still waiting for history remark) but thanks anyway for the inspiration, his words don't affect me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robbie242)
    Actually got AAC (still waiting for history remark) but thanks anyway for the inspiration, his words don't affect me
    I hate people like that

Just because they can't do it they'll try and make everyone else believe they can't!

Horrible!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by upthegunners)
    I hate people like that

Just because they can't do it they'll try and make everyone else believe they can't!

Horrible!
    I really do, he isn't even a snob, hes living in an imaginary universe where a incompetent idiot like himself is accepted to Cambridge.

Yeah this have you noticed this ''can't'' attitude throughout the modern education system, including individuals like member who direct schools to stare at league tables and forget what the student wants themselves, and foundation culture pisses me off so badly (sorry for a bit of a tangent) Basically Individuals like Member and league tables have forced this elitist or settle-ist attitude on people (i.e. the school only cares if you get a C)

Everybody is capable, is it all about hard-work and attitudes, and that's why I love alevel it isn't this cakewalk like GCSE, you have to get off your backside and put some effort in, I suspect member is a butthurt straight U Cambridge reject

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.