The Student Room Group

Entry requirements - Getting a place when things haven't gone the way you wanted.

Hey
So really confused and generally down. I started an extended diploma it was supposed to be a BTEC and just over half way through year one we were told the provider was City and Guilds. I had already paid fees and stayed on. I became disheartened because it was only worth two A levels and that is not enough to get a place on any Vet med course anywhere!! I came out with MP and didn't really try that hard as I knew it was a waste but id paid as I said and would have lost money if I left. So.... what now do I do another level three but a BTEC would you go for A levels or an access course? Iv got all my work exp. Feel like iv wasted so much time. I have to do this nothing else is for me didn't have a great school life so A levels were out of the question at the time. Need to make a decision any help is great. Thanks guys xxxx
Original post by Angels in uniform
Hey
So really confused and generally down. I started an extended diploma it was supposed to be a BTEC and just over half way through year one we were told the provider was City and Guilds. I had already paid fees and stayed on. I became disheartened because it was only worth two A levels and that is not enough to get a place on any Vet med course anywhere!! I came out with MP and didn't really try that hard as I knew it was a waste but id paid as I said and would have lost money if I left. So.... what now do I do another level three but a BTEC would you go for A levels or an access course? Iv got all my work exp. Feel like iv wasted so much time. I have to do this nothing else is for me didn't have a great school life so A levels were out of the question at the time. Need to make a decision any help is great. Thanks guys xxxx

A levels. They're easier to get in with I found as the other courses have much fewer places. Don't forget you need 15+ weeks of varied work experience when applying too. Just dust yourself off and keep trying :smile:. You'll get there eventually. I'd self teach a levels/fast track a levels in a year in biology, chemistry & physics/maths.
What about an access course? You would need to check with the uni(s) if they accept it and which modules you can study but that would solve some problems. BTEC is pretty useless for anything both in my opinion and in my experience. You would be much better served to either go and do A-levels for 2 years (I wouldn't advise doing fast-track unless you have previous A-level experience) or find an access course. DO NOT go and do another BTEC.

Also talk to the uni(s) about your problem, when I talked to Bristol about my qualifications they sent a HUGE response which was really positive and helpful. I have had trouble with illness and they weren't bothered about that and actually sent me a link to the 'disabled student services' page.
Reply 3
Original post by SuperCat007
What about an access course? You would need to check with the uni(s) if they accept it and which modules you can study but that would solve some problems. BTEC is pretty useless for anything both in my opinion and in my experience. You would be much better served to either go and do A-levels for 2 years (I wouldn't advise doing fast-track unless you have previous A-level experience) or find an access course. DO NOT go and do another BTEC.

Also talk to the uni(s) about your problem, when I talked to Bristol about my qualifications they sent a HUGE response which was really positive and helpful. I have had trouble with illness and they weren't bothered about that and actually sent me a link to the 'disabled student services' page.

BTECs are not that useless as otherwise I wouldn't be at Liv studying vet medicine now.

I would say that you have to be very careful in choosing which one you're going to do, and which units are covered in them e.g RVC accepts the BTEC on its own as long as you got the right grades and SPECIFIC modules and supporting GCSEs. (I believe this was correct for last year's entry) Also don't forget the BMAT.

Liverpool accepts the BTEC combined with AS chemistry at A/B, whereas Bristol asks for a full A-level chemistry at grade A along side it. (Check their websites just in case it has changed).

I don't think any of the other unis accept BTEC tho. So they are useful but their use is limited.

The same things could be said about access courses. You have to check with unis first to make sure you're doing the right one.

So OP if you want to widen your choices then go for A-levels and work HARD for them. You really have to aim for the highest grades in order to show you're a good enough candidate because of the amount of competition out there. Don't forget all other aspects of the process of selection e.g W/E, PS, interview performance etc. if you get the right balance of everything you should stand a chance for a place but they're not guaranteed.

If you need to know anymore you can PM me if you like.

Best of luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
I feel like I keep posting this but have a look at Liverpools foundation year, it has by far the lowest entry requirements of all the access courses (5 A grades GCSE'S) along side work experience.
In terms of applicants to places ratio last year it was the same as for d100 this year places are increasing from 5 -12 so odds should improve.
Deadline for this year is next month, so assuming you qualify you could apply for the foundation course and still have time to sign up for A levels in September if you dont get in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending