Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Telling ex about new boyfriend? Watch

After breaking up with my bf of three years about 3 months ago, we've finally broken no contact (he contacted me) and agreed to speak on the phone. The issue I'm worried about is that I'm seeing someone new that I'm crazy about and wondering how to approach this with my ex. We ended on alright terms and I know that I'm definitely not going to bring the subject up. What I'm worried about is that if he asks me whether I should lie and say I'm not seeing anyone or just be honest at the risk of really hurting him. Any advice would be appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    Obviously he misses you being in his life, but that doesn't mean he still has feelings for you.
    3 months is quite a long time and you said that this new guy you've found, you happen to really really like.
    If your ex asks you whether you're seeing someone else, be straight up and honest.
    Tell him you are, what's the worse that could happen?
    I doubt it'll hurt him.
    If he was really hurt about the thought of you getting with someone else, he would've contacted you sooner.

ReputationRep:
    If he asks, don't deny it... Any trust that would be there would disappear.

There's nothing wrong with not bringing the subject up, especially as it would usually be awkward to do so.

ReputationRep:
    If he asks just tell the truth, even if it hurts. Lies hurt more.

ReputationRep:
    Tell him the truth.

Honest to God, you don't want to get caught up in any kind of deceit when it comes to relationships and exes. It's never, ever worth it. It might hurt him, but that's just part of the package I'm afraid. It's much easier to do it now than later.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 10, 2013
Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.