nic-cullen
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hi all,

I've just confirmed a place to do my masters in Manchester and need help choosing a halls. The website/brochure doesn't give much away and I don't know how to decide. I'm also worried living in postgrad halls will mean living with people a lot older as I'm only 21.

Any recommendations?
Origami Bullets
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You're right - the website really doesn't give much away!

The best available info on TSR is probably going to be the FAQ. Unfortunately it's centred around undergrad halls (because I wrote it, and I've not got any experience with postgrad halls!), but a number of them take both postgrads and undergrads (I *believe* they put you in separate flats though) http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2091577
Strangey
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Origami Bullets)
You're right - the website really doesn't give much away!

The best available info on TSR is probably going to be the FAQ. Unfortunately it's centred around undergrad halls (because I wrote it, and I've not got any experience with postgrad halls!), but a number of them take both postgrads and undergrads (I *believe* they put you in separate flats though) http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2091577
Right as always! Most of the halls on City campus have a section dedicated to PG students in some form.

George Kenyon is smack bang in the middle of the university, and only caters to mature and PG students. Weston Hall has a block just for PGs.

As for living with older people, obviously there's that chance, but it may be that the "older" students are 24/25 as they spent a year or two in industry before coming back for higher studies. They won't be that old, don't worry!

(Original post by nic-cullen)
X
emmajayne55
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Would anyone recommend any halls for postgrads?
Does anyone have any reviews they could share on here? I would love to hear them!
I'm looking for something close to shops, pubs and close to the uni ideally. :-)
PollyKing
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by emmajayne55)
Would anyone recommend any halls for postgrads?
Does anyone have any reviews they could share on here? I would love to hear them!
I'm looking for something close to shops, pubs and close to the uni ideally. :-)
I think I'm going to go for George Kenyon...it seems close to everything and looks nice and spacious inside
emmajayne55
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Is there any cheaper postgraduate accomodation I could look at? £127 a week is slighty steep!
Origami Bullets
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by emmajayne55)
Is there any cheaper postgraduate accomodation I could look at? £127 a week is slighty steep!
All of the self catered shared bathroom halls come in at less than that. Check out www.accommodation.manchester.ac.uk
leolatika
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hey all,
Any suggestions for a good hall for PG - am lookin for a one close to campus and self catered (and preferably ensuite bathroom if possible in a decent budget) am i late as i hsvnt yet booked any (have an unconditional offr)

And just another thing - Anyone joining Manchester Business School for Msc in Information Systems Sep'13 Intake ?? Hvnt found any one going for this course yet - just getting a bit sceptical about my choice of course now :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
leolatika
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hi. I have shortlisted below per my personal pref of self catered, ensuite hall for Pg..
George Kenyon - City
Opal Hall - City
Opal Gardens - Victoria
Weston - City

Which ones the best pick outta these n what order? Any sugestions pls !!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Noodlle
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Any suggestions?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
3.39%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (8)
13.56%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (8)
13.56%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (7)
11.86%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (24)
40.68%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (10)
16.95%

Watched Threads