Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I've got a quite a few exams in the summer, and was wondering if anybody has tips on how to do well with lots of exams ?

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean? Like revision tips? Because otherwise, you just have to revise?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hibaj)
    What do you mean? Like revision tips? Because otherwise, you just have to revise?
    how do you plan your revision ? Hw many hours do you allocate to revision

ReputationRep:
    Well, there's one piece of advice that I was told over and over again and didn't really think it was that important: "take a 15min break every hour". I never really thought it would have that much of an impact but turns out there are loads of scientific papers showing how much more information you retain whilst taking regular breaks compared to not, it is somewhat like 20% better recall (which I discovered as I am a science student at uni now), so take those breaks like it was routine!

ReputationRep:
    thanks for this! is there anything else you'd recommend? I'm doing Bio, Chem and Maths and was wondering if you have any tips for biology exams and revision?

(Original post by InspiringMinds)
    Well, there's one piece of advice that I was told over and over again and didn't really think it was that important: "take a 15min break every hour". I never really thought it would have that much of an impact but turns out there are loads of scientific papers showing how much more information you retain whilst taking regular breaks compared to not, it is somewhat like 20% better recall (which I discovered as I am a science student at uni now), so take those breaks like it was routine!
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Find an epic music soundtrack for whilst you revise. Practice exams are the best bet, and if you have something along these lines in your head during your exam you can't fail.

Success guaranteed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Libby18)
    thanks for this! is there anything else you'd recommend? I'm doing Bio, Chem and Maths and was wondering if you have any tips for biology exams and revision?
    This is what I wrote in another thread which I guess applies here too:
    For the sciences, flash cards are great however, for the humanity subjects I would recommend you write down your techniques i bullet point form. What works for me is that I type all my notes up into a word document using colours, bold/italics, large/small fonts etc. And I make sure I put clear headings for each section. I feel like I can make the most important things stand out this way rather than just using a yellow highlighter when making hand notes. And you can change the format of your notes, putting boxes round things and have a contents page.

ReputationRep:
    I second the 'Take a 15 min break every hour tip'. You need at least that long to clear your head and to calm down

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Midnight1811)
    how do you plan your revision ? Hw many hours do you allocate to revision
    Im really bad organising myself and stuff so not a great person to ask. But i made a timetable on Get Revising and try to follow it. Anyhoo, what i did was, divide the amount of work I've got to get done by the amount of days I've got to get it done in.
    So say you have 10 topics of a subject to get done in 5 days (give yourself a time limit), but in those 5 days you've only planned 2 revision sessions for the subject, you'd do 5 topics each day. I've given myself 2 weeks to get a certain amount done.
    Ok, idk if you wanted to know in that much detail but i hope that makes sense and is useful (to someone)

I try to do a couple hours of each subject on my timetable....but doesn't usually work.

I think my strategy is good, I've just for to follow it!

Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.