Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Say if I was to become a lawyer, one that had graduated from a top uni such as Cambridge, Durham, LSE etc.. and after graduating I decided that the law field isn't for me and I want to pursue a job as a police officer. Is this silly? Am I wasting my degree? Which profession is generally seen as better?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CallmeJoss)
    Say if I was to become a lawyer, one that had graduated from a top uni such as Cambridge, Durham, LSE etc.. and after graduating I decided that the law field isn't for me and I want to pursue a job as a police officer. Is this silly? Am I wasting my degree? Which profession is generally seen as better?
    I would guess that it's unusual with Law, but I bet there are people who've done it, there definitely are people joining the police from the sort of Unis you mention.

ReputationRep:
    In Russia you should graduate as a lawyer to become police officer. In Russia - when you join police after Uni (Law education) - you become officer.

ReputationRep:
    It is hard to covert a law degree into qualification as a lawyer. Some never manage.

Which would you prefer?

I think law has greater 'prestige' but the police are definitely more respected..

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    I would guess that it's unusual with Law, but I bet there are people who've done it, there definitely are people joining the police from the sort of Unis you mention.
    Do you think it's because law is such a difficult degree.. and then it'd be wasted by joining the police force? A career in law is so hard to get into :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LexiswasmyNexis)
    It is hard to covert a law degree into qualification as a lawyer. Some never manage.

Which would you prefer?

I think law has greater 'prestige' but the police are definitely more respected..

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Respected in what way?

ReputationRep:
    You do realise that having a degree in Law and being a Lawyer are two completely different things? Just having a degree does not make you a lawyer, it doesn't even get you particularly close to being one, it simply gives you the foundation from which to become one.

As for what you're saying. If your aim before you start your degree is to join the police force afterwards, then yes you are wasting it, however if you decided part way through your degree that you wanted to go into the police force then it's not a waste.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LexiswasmyNexis)

Which would you prefer?

Disagree with the bit in bold. I'd respect the achievement of a graduate getting in to a decent law firm over a graduate joining the police any day. It's harder to do, more prestigious, you earn more money and people know you must be a very strong candidate to get in. Don't get me wrong, law enforcement is a respected profession, but it's not in the same league.

(Original post by M1011)
    Disagree with the bit in bold. I'd respect the achievement of a graduate getting in to a decent law firm over a graduate joining the police any day. It's harder to do, more prestigious, you earn more money and people know you must be a very strong candidate to get in. Don't get me wrong, law enforcement is a respected profession, but it's not in the same league.
    I'm not sure - I think you and Lexis probably agree. If we define the terms as:

Prestige - how much of an "achievement" it is to break into the field.

Respect - (positive) public perception of those who've chosen that particular career.
    ...then I think that law is perhaps more prestigious, but the police generally have the respect of the public as being in an "honourable" profession.

ReputationRep:
    The police are anything but honourable or respect-worthy. They are crooks on the whole, with some good ones far and between.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tortious)

...then I think that law is perhaps more prestigious, but the police generally have the respect of the public as being in an "honourable" profession.
    Nope, I still put Law ahead as more respected. How many parents want their children to become lawyers versus police for example? I don't think there is much of a negative perception of Lawyers really, people moan about the amount they cost but that's the same reason they're respected!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tortious)

Yes this is what I meant. Well spotted!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.