Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering whether there was a right way to break bad news or deal with a complain in case I'm asked at an interview.

ReputationRep:
    The best way (I was taught this at work) is to say a positive, follow it with the bad news and then follow this with another positive alternative. The good news-bad news-good news method.

ReputationRep:
    From what the doctors have told me:

Be direct. No waffle
    Console them appropriately
    Offer support/help
    Give them an outline of the scenario
    Compassionate tone

ReputationRep:
    You've got some bad news to give during an interview - finish your statement of bad news with a positive spin.

eg "I'm a convicted psychopath - but hey, I'm a real focused go getter who lets nothing stand in my way!"

ReputationRep:
    Use an analogy! (Go to 1:52 for Breaking Bad News)

ReputationRep:
    Develop rapport by asking what led up to the test, and ask what the patient understands about it
    Ask for consent to give results
    Warn them that the news isn't great
    Offer to let partner/family in
    Give the news, let patient absorb it (silence can be good, also show empathy)
    Explain what this means to the patient (treatment options, prognosis, etc.)
    Offer support eg. support groups, who to call if any other questions
    Plan follow-up

That's as much as I know, hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FinancialPanther)
    The best way (I was taught this at work) is to say a positive, follow it with the bad news and then follow this with another positive alternative. The good news-bad news-good news method.
    Known in the business as "sandwiching"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OMGWTFBBQ)
    Known in the business as "sandwiching"
    **** sandwich, to be precise...

ReputationRep:
    If you're giving really bad news, they tend to not absorb anything you say afterwards, so make sure you give written information/plan of action.

(Original post by FinancialPanther)
    in business yes.
    in medicine no.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    http://www.patient.co.uk/doctor/breaking-bad-news

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.