Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Getting a tattoo? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimbo1234)
    If is that important, your memory will suffice.

Because you can't remember that? :teehee:

Why are you using your body as a note book? Do you hate how it looks?

They will just stop you getting jobs. You will be judged. They will look bad to many people. And they will look poor as you age.

Actually, I think some look good, I am just realistic about the practicality of one - the fact that as you mature what you want and like changes thus permanently marking your skin is a bad idea. I realise that I would fail many job interviews because of them. I also love how my body looks without anything, mainly because I don't feel the need to change my skin (bar a bit of a tan :cool: ).

Also I could pull up all the research I found about how those who self harm and have body image problems (which you confirmed in the other thread) are very likely to get tats, and that they are used to mark emotional turmoil rather than happy memories, but I think I've said enough for the moment.
    I use my body as a notebook because it's my body. It's the same as me cutting my hair, dying my hair or getting a piercing - I like the way it looks.
    I won't fail interviews as a result of them, given the fact that I have 6 and most people think I have 1, if that, depending on whether I wear my watch that day or not. The rest are coverable by normal tops and as long as I'm not walking around in my pants.
    I also have a job in HMRC, so yeah, that point is invalid too.

Regardless of whether I have ever self-harmed and I have bad body image because I had bad influences in my life. My tattoos mark happy occassions in my life - following my dream and getting to uni and sticking it out, the birth of my son, the realising of how I want to be, my family etc.

I won't forget my sons name, but he is the most significant person in my life, and the biggest event to happen to me, if I want to docuement his birth because I am proud then I shall.

Also, as for changing my body, I'm not 'changing' it through tattoos. In fact, using weights, body weights, clean eating etc has done more to change my body than a tattoo ever will.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rubixcyoob)
    I use my body as a notebook because it's my body. It's the same as me cutting my hair, dying my hair or getting a piercing - I like the way it looks.
    I won't fail interviews as a result of them, given the fact that I have 6 and most people think I have 1, if that, depending on whether I wear my watch that day or not. The rest are coverable by normal tops and as long as I'm not walking around in my pants.
    I also have a job in HMRC, so yeah, that point is invalid too.

Regardless of whether I have never self-harmed and I have bad body image because I had bad influences in my life. My tattoos mark happy occassions in my life - following my dream and getting to uni and sticking it out, the birth of my son, the realising of how I want to be, my family etc.

I won't forget my sons name, but he is the most significant person in my life, and the biggest event to happen to me, if I want to docuement his birth because I am proud then I shall.

Also, as for changing my body, I'm not 'changing' it through tattoos. In fact, using weights, body weights, clean eating etc has done more to change my body than a tattoo ever will.
    That doesn't make it better and is obvious...so why mention it? :giggle:
    And no, it is permanent. Hair grows, piercings can be grown out. Tats can't.

I'm sure you'll climb management looking like that. Oh wait... And no, this isn't me trying to be mean, its the truth of society. People are very judgemental.

I'm not even going to begin arguing why some of those "happy" moments clearly were anything but happy. As I said, if they were happy, you wouldn't feel the need to mark them otherwise why don't we all have tats?

Society will judge which is more imposing.

ReputationRep:
    That doesn't make it better and is obvious...so why mention it? :giggle:
    And no, it is permanent. Hair grows, piercings can be grown out. Tats can't.

I'm sure you'll climb management looking like that. Oh wait... And no, this isn't me trying to be mean, its the truth of society. People are very judgemental.

I'm not even going to begin arguing why some of those "happy" moments clearly were anything but happy. As I said, if they were happy, you wouldn't feel the need to mark them otherwise why don't we all have tats?

Society will judge which is more imposing.
    Well, considering my manager has two full sleeves, his manager has tattoos, and my mother who is a manager has tattoos - I'd say it's pretty darn likely.

Also, note the fact that not all tattoos are large or in visible places, makes anyone 'judging' a lot less likely. Some of my friends didn't even know I had tattoos, and only someone who has seen me butt naked will see them all - how is society or my employer going to notice them?

No, my son being born was horrific. Me following my dream to uni was awful. My family and friends, and showing how much they mean, tragic. Me discovering who I am, and accepting that person, bloody traumatising.

I'm glad you know me, better than I know myself. I am also glad that you apparently speak for all my employers, both current and future, and apparently society also.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rubixcyoob)
    Well, considering my manager has two full sleeves, his manager has tattoos, and my mother who is a manager has tattoos - I'd say it's pretty darn likely.
    And now we know why we're in a recession.. :rofl:

Also, note the fact that not all tattoos are large or in visible places, makes anyone 'judging' a lot less likely. Some of my friends didn't even know I had tattoos, and only someone who has seen me butt naked will see them all - how is society or my employer going to notice them?
    "Not all", but some, and most people have numerous, thus they see one, they expect more.

No, my son being born was horrific. Me following my dream to uni was awful. My family and friends, and showing how much they mean, tragic. Me discovering who I am, and accepting that person, bloody traumatising.
    Too easy and too brutal. I'll let you go this time.

I'm glad you know me, better than I know myself. I am also glad that you apparently speak for all my employers, both current and future, and apparently society also.
    Oh the number of times I've heard this followed by getting the person to break down into hysterics as it turns out that normally I do know them better than they know themselves. But as I said, too easy, too harsh, and too off topic.

ReputationRep:
    Words honestly escape me. I've no idea how someone gets so egotistical and ignorant.

ReputationRep:
    Just really think about it...i know its patronising when people say "oh its forever" - Yes thankyou we know that.

But think of things like your wedding/ other events where the clothing may not cover it, i already looked up ways to cover tattoos with make up because i know what style wedding dress i want...tattoos have the potential to ruin events like that if you cant cover them.

But if you're sure, go for it

ReputationRep:
    Honestly Jimbo, it's the same thing every time from you and it's boring.

You make it out like a tattoo is some horrendous, shocking thing to have done to yourself, when in reality........... it's really no big deal. At all. Lots and lots of people have tattoos.

And even IF somebody regrets their tattoo a few years down the line, so what? You can get it removed. No drama. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know where you would be able to create your own temporary tattoos? Like stick on ones? Cos I have been thinking about my tattoo for 4 years. My only problem is, it has to be perfect, and I want to SEE the tattoo before it gets permanently put on me. I know the tattoo artists will do a transfer first and let me see it to check it is right... But I want to be able to look at it for a couple of days, not a couple of minutes, before making my decision.
    So yeah, any advice would be cool

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cybele)
    Honestly Jimbo, it's the same thing every time from you and it's boring.

You make it out like a tattoo is some horrendous, shocking thing to have done to yourself, when in reality........... it's really no big deal. At all. Lots and lots of people have tattoos.

And even IF somebody regrets their tattoo a few years down the line, so what? You can get it removed. No drama. :dontknow:
    Umhum, something that sticks with you for the rest of your life and could stop you getting a job is "no big thing".

Well it's nice to see where you stand on it.
    Oh, and got any research to show that it is normal and healthy as opposed to what I have previously shown (linked to self harm/emotional problems/body image disorder)?

Thought not.

ReputationRep:
    if you need to ask whether you should get it and you are very bothered about people thinking it looks stupid you should not get it. There will always be someone who doesn't like it, some people just hate tattoos (as you can see from jimbos responses) and even those who do will have varying attitudes on what they like. You should only get it if you are so confident that you love it so much that other people thinking its stupid does not matter.

ReputationRep:
    Umhum, something that sticks with you for the rest of your life and could stop you getting a job is "no big thing".

Well it's nice to see where you stand on it.
    Oh, and got any research to show that it is normal and healthy as opposed to what I have previously shown (linked to self harm/emotional problems/body image disorder)?

Thought not.
    It's ink on your skin. You're not chopping a limb off. People have been getting tattoos for thousands of years.

If you don't like tattoos then don't get one, stop being such a drama queen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lala_1234)
    Does anyone know where you would be able to create your own temporary tattoos? Like stick on ones? Cos I have been thinking about my tattoo for 4 years. My only problem is, it has to be perfect, and I want to SEE the tattoo before it gets permanently put on me. I know the tattoo artists will do a transfer first and let me see it to check it is right... But I want to be able to look at it for a couple of days, not a couple of minutes, before making my decision.
    So yeah, any advice would be cool

Posted from TSR Mobile
    you could get an airbrush tattoo kit?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cybele)
    It's ink on your skin. You're not chopping a limb off. People have been getting tattoos for thousands of years.
    Oh, I didn't realise that if people have done it for a long time, it makes it ok. Lets bring back slavery then! :facepalm:
    Also need I mention that people also feared shadows and flung **** at each other? Yes, these are the people you are siding with and imitating.

If you don't like tattoos then don't get one, stop being such a drama queen.
    I won't, but I will point out what tattoos can lead to as many people, an ex-flat mate being one of them, do live in a bubble of denial about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boba)
    you could get an airbrush tattoo kit?
    What are they? How much?

ReputationRep:
    What are they? How much?
    well this is a basic one from argos
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Search...USH+TATTOO.htm

when I was younger I also had one that was that brand but came with colours as well so that exists if you were thinking about colour. basically you create the stencil of what you want spray it on and it lasts a few days.

ReputationRep:
    I actually like the text you've chosen or are thinking about 'ad astra per aspera' as its meaningful and will have as much relavance 20 years down the track as it would now. :-) I also like the idea of getting it inked on your foot as you can cover it up when you want and it would look nice with sandals too, this is coming from a girl who wouldn't get a tattoo he he. I think they look nice on others but there's nothing I'd want to have inked on me for life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boba)
    well this is a basic one from argos
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Search...USH+TATTOO.htm

when I was younger I also had one that was that brand but came with colours as well so that exists if you were thinking about colour. basically you create the stencil of what you want spray it on and it lasts a few days.
    Oh waw that's pretty cool! Just a bit too expensive just to try out one tattoo :/ might see if there are any on ebay for cheap! Haha

ReputationRep:
    Oh waw that's pretty cool! Just a bit too expensive just to try out one tattoo :/ might see if there are any on ebay for cheap! Haha
    if you don't think of it as "just one tattoo" but as "something that will be there forever if I get it done" it doesn't seem as bad but its up to you just trying to help

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone for your advice I think I've decided I'd like it on my foot with a few stars around it to make it look pretty.....but ill try it out a bit with one of these temporary tattoo sets before I decide for sure

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.