Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I'm slightly confused about this:
    If my H0 is that there is no significant difference between the expected and observed values. And i did the test and found that mmy value was smaller than the critical value and so i accepted my H0 does that mean that there is a more than 5% probability that results are due to chance or a less than 5% probability that results are due to chance? I think i've confused my self a lot and would be grateful if someone explained to me about accepting and rejecting the null and what that means. Thanks!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss_Jazz)
    If my H0 is that there is no significant difference between the expected and observed values. And i did the test and found that mmy value was smaller than the critical value and so i accepted my H0 does that mean that there is a more than 5% probability that results are due to chance or a less than 5% probability that results are due to chance? I think i've confused my self a lot and would be grateful if someone explained to me about accepting and rejecting the null and what that means. Thanks!
    It means that there is a more than 5% probability that the results are down to chance. If there was a less than 5 % probability that the results were down to chance, then you would reject the null hypothesis as its very unlikely that the null hypothesis distribution could account for the results.

ReputationRep:
    if you support your hypothesis with a p=0.05 then there is a 5% or less probability that your results are due to chance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asklepios)
    It means that there is a more than 5% probability that the results are down to chance. If there was a less than 5 % probability that the results were down to chance, then you would reject the null hypothesis as its very unlikely that the null hypothesis distribution could account for the results.
    But if there is a less than 5% probab that results are due to chance doesn't that make the results more accurate and so accept the H0SO there is no sig dif?
    i'm sorry if that makes no sense lol
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    But if there is a less than 5% probab that results are due to chance doesn't that make the results more accurate and so accept the H0SO there is no sig dif?
    i'm sorry if that makes no sense lol
    With the chi-squared test we aren't trying to look for consistency in results. Basically, you are trying to see how much difference there is between the actual data and the expected data. If there is a larger difference, there is a higher calculated chi-squared value, and hence a lower probability that the observed and expected data come from the same distribution. At a p-value below 0.05, it is very unlikely that the observed data comes from the same distribution as the expected data so you reject H0.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asklepios)
    With the chi-squared test we aren't trying to look for consistency in results. Basically, you are trying to see how much difference there is between the actual data and the expected data. If there is a larger difference, there is a higher calculated chi-squared value, and hence a lower probability that the observed and expected data come from the same distribution. At a p-value below 0.05, it is very unlikely that the observed data comes from the same distribution as the expected data so you reject H0.
    ok, that makes slightly more sense! thank you

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.