Turn on thread page Beta

celebrity status watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone been treated a bit different when you mentioned you are going to Oxbridge. I certainly have, I was in a conversation with other prospective students most of them going to high ranking universities for the same subject, but as soon as I mentioned that I was going to Cambridge they got ignored unfairly and I got too much attention on how clever... bla bla bla... and so on. Its got to a point that I get embarrassed sometimes when people ask me what university I am going, same old cliché phrase.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I'd hardly call myself a celebrity, but my school certainly tried to use me as one. :rolleyes: Within Cambridge obviously it's fine, but outside it does tend to kill a conversation fairly quickly if you say you're at Cambridge, unless of course they know someone doing English in the 3rd year at Girton (for example - i.e. someone I am never going to have met) and ask me about them.

ReputationRep:
    I agree. I don't know how many times my school has pulled the "and one of our students is going to/at Cambridge" line in assemblies/meetings with counsellors/prospective students. Grrrrrrr. I seem to always be called in to talk to the "brightest" etc etc (after only one term! LOL).

My mum likes it when we are in town and she can be all blase and mention it (especially to people who used to look down on us because we were poor). It also seems to be a "conversation saver" when talking to Grandmother/Aunts/Uncles who I don't see very often and don't actually know

Before I came up here I hated saying which Uni I was going to because people would "oooo" and "aaah". What annoys me know is that I talk about "college" and some people assume that I'm some layabout reject who's having to re-take her A Levels !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    Before I came up here I hated saying which Uni I was going to because people would "oooo" and "aaah". What annoys me know is that I talk about "college" and some people assume that I'm some layabout reject who's having to re-take her A Levels !
    Yeah, that gets to me sometimes, and for some reason I hate using the phrase "at uni" so I either end up saying "at Cambridge" which makes me sound like a stuck up *****, or "in college" which gives the impression you mentioned :rolleyes:

It is useful for the random relatives though, although grinning and nodding when you hear "So you're in for the long haul then?" for the thousandth time gets a bit repetitive (also nobody seems quite sure how long Medicine lasts - their estimates range between 5 and 9 years!)

ReputationRep:
    A friend of mine recieved a gushing letter from his old school once the news that he'd got into Oxford filtered through: the slime almost drips off it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by winorloose)
    A friend of mine recieved a gushing letter from his old school once the news that he'd got into Oxford filtered through: the slime almost drips off it!
    Yes, I visited my old secondary school some time back and as soon as they ask me, what are you doing with your life?.... here we go again...

Well to cut a long story short they called all my old teachers and the head teacher told me you will make an interesting article in the school notice board for our pupils.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saintsin)
    Yes, I visited my old secondary school some time back and as soon as they ask me, what are you doing with your life?.... here we go again...

Well to cut a long story short they called all my old teachers and the head teacher told me you will make an interesting article in the school notice board for our pupils.
    Did you go to the Forth?

ReputationRep:
    my boyfriend plays rugby and his friends from the team asked me where I was going next year. They kinda all make jokes about me being too clever for him now, it's a bit uncomfortable.

ReputationRep:
    I think my story beats all of yours. I have this grandmother who i the most awful person. She is a crazy zionist (so I tend to try and avoid her) and she treats my immediate family with contempt because we are communists I believe. Anyway she spends mosst of the day comparing herself and her family with the other jewish mothers/grandmothers in ilford (not that I like to stereotype). The idea that she would tel;l the whole family and her whole neighbourhood that her two grandsons had both got into cambridge was a thought worth dreading. She doesn't understand that even though we are twins we are seperate people. The fact is that we were both only applying to cambridge because we liked the courses - we were terrified to think we might see eachother regularly for the next three years.

We finally broke the news to her a few weeks back. She then proceeded in having an agument with my great aunt about the fact that my second cousin had got into med school and me and my brother had offers from cambridge and which was better? We then got a series of phonecalls from around essex and north london congratulating us. It was awful cos we had to speak to these people. She hs finally calmed down about it but she still seems to think that my brother's subject (history) is rather more worthy than mine.

Musicboy

ReputationRep:
    The school dragged me in at 9am before by first Jan exam to have my photo taken with the 3 Oxford people. Our head teacher who as ignored me for years is now trying to befriend me...would have been nicer before applying & if he showed the same interest for all the uni people! Very awkward when he stops us around school to check we're still 'on track' whilst ignoring my also A-grade friends! He's trying to turn us snobby!!

I've been put forward to help at a Buckingham Palace tea party since my offer came through...its guiding related & might have something to do with it. When I got my offer through I sent an email thanking them for the opportunities they've given me over the years & how grateful I was to be able to talk out it in the intervies.

I can't help feel I'm publicity material for both the school & guiding!! It's a lot of pressure considering I'm not too optomistic about achieving my offer!

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, know what everyone means.

I seem to have imporved my schools image no end in my village simply by getting into cambridge. I know a number of people who now tell me what a good school it is, when i distinctly rmember hearing the opposite about 7 years ago when i first went.

On lovely person inparticular (she really is lovely actually) phoned me up and congratulated me so much when she heard through someones else. Its also on my doctors notes, very embarassingly, and uoi cant say youve got a pace there without someone nearby erupting into enthusiastic celebration!

Youve gotta love it though. espcially after everyone thought you were a failier when you didnt take the 12 plus casue you would have failed it.

ReputationRep:
    Meant to also say...
    I got my letter on New Year's eve & had to do a lunchtime shift at work. I couldn't stop grinning & all the locals (old mans country pub, lol)were asking why I was so chirpy. Dave (the barman/boss) told them all while I was filling the wine cooler about my offer. One of the older ones, Mr Griffiths, started to cry! I felt so bad, he kept saying how proud he was & how it put his faith back in humanity that someone from his village had a place. I didn't have the heart to tell him I don't live in the same village & I've not forgiven Dave! Another local also offered me loads of books related to local history!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katie J)
    The school dragged me in at 9am before by first Jan exam to have my photo taken with the 3 Oxford people. Our head teacher who as ignored me for years is now trying to befriend me...would have been nicer before applying & if he showed the same interest for all the uni people!
    Exactly the same thing happened to me! As far as my headmaster was concerned, I might not have existed in L6th, when we were all competing to be Head Boy/Girl. I was very much ignored in that race, but oh, what a surprise! as soon as I got into Cambridge I got invited in to see him, they wanted to use my picture for publicity material for the school and suddenly I'm fab! (I refused to let them use my photo in the papers cos three of my friends from the local comprehensive had also got into Oxbridge and I knew they wouldn't get as much publicity)

Don't worry about the Guiding thing though, that is not necessarily related! I never got anything like that thrust on me fortunately following my offer - I got to go to Mexico in the summer, but my selection for that was nothing to do with my going to Cambridge!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saintsin)
    Its got to a point that I get embarrassed sometimes when people ask me what university I am going, same old cliché phrase.
    Indeed, I still get embarassed if someone asks me which uni I go to. I don't really know why, because I'm not ashamed of it or anything. I think it's just because I don't think I'm worthy of the reputation and I don't really like the connitations of poshness etc that seems to go with oxbridge.

It's somehow a question you just can't avoid, whenever you meet someone new and they find out you're a student they ask where... and which subject... which is my other problem
    I did try telling people I knew not to tell people because I didn't like it, but that doesn't really work.

My school didn't make a fuss, we got plenty of people into Oxbridge that year, although I got the impression that the teachers weren't overly surprised. Which, given I hardly ever turned up at school, I thought was a bit odd. People at school were either totally surprised or expected me to, the dichotomy was really evident.

Alaric.

ReputationRep:
    grandparents in india made more of a fuss than my parents and school put together-all my extended family now know, regardless of whether theyve heard of oxbridge or not. i deliberately told my parents not to tell loads of people in their group of friends- they're all so superficial and, like most parents, see u as nothing more than a trophy when u are worthy of being one.
    school was a strange one- obviously my german teacher, having got 2 girls into oxbridge for his subject, proudly announced this amazing feat during a breaktime- by the end of the day teachers who would normally look at me with disinterest or a hint of disgust (for whatever rep i earned in yr7/8/9) were suddenly congratulating me, smiling at me, acting like me and the other 8 ppl who got offers were, as this thread says, like celebrities. our wonderfully vain headteacher, doesnt congratulate us, doesnt say a word about it, but promptly phones the local newspaper begging them to photograph us and crow about our school's amazing success

the result was a tiny badly printed picture in the corner on page 30 something, with a few lines about the 'spectacular oxbridge success'. now that some of my marks are slipping a little, nobody cares anymore, the disinterested looks are back.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like my dad. I was in the paper (page 2... enormous photo).

"Class act Alice is one of the best read youngsers in the country". I was mortified (it also told my road and there are only 5 houses on it) but knew it would make me dad happy (I was the first to apply and go from my School)

ReputationRep:
    I'm the only one in my school this year to get an offer from Oxbridge. I enjoy this, as it confirms my status as the top academic in my school; teachers and fellow pupils acknowledge this. To be honest, my teachers expected me to get a place and would have been surprised if I didn't get an offer.

The Headmaster, who I don't think knew my name until last Autumn, is extremely pleased with me and he told me that I should be immortalised on the honours board at the front of the main hall next year.

Whenever I do a tour of the school for prospective parents, I always get asked what I am going to do next year. When I tell them I have a place at Oxford they are always in awe and seem to have even more respect for me.

Of course, word has spread throughout my entire family tree, I think. At church, word has managed to spread and I think this has helped me become more well-known nowadays, although there are many other factors involved.

When I opened a bank account the other month, the lady also asked where I was going next year. Her reaction was a loud gasp/squeal and told all nearby clerks of my news - it is not every day you see this in a bank.

J.

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah, I forgot to post the most embarrassing. It got announced in my local youth orchestra that both me and my cellist friend had places fr music at cam. I went bright red

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hornblower)
    I'm the only one in my school this year to get an offer from Oxbridge. I enjoy this, as it confirms my status as the top academic in my school; teachers and fellow pupils acknowledge this. To be honest, my teachers expected me to get a place and would have been surprised if I didn't get an offer.

The Headmaster, who I don't think knew my name until last Autumn, is extremely pleased with me and he told me that I should be immortalised on the honours board at the front of the main hall next year.

Whenever I do a tour of the school for prospective parents, I always get asked what I am going to do next year. When I tell them I have a place at Oxford they are always in awe and seem to have even more respect for me.

Of course, word has spread throughout my entire family tree, I think. At church, word has managed to spread and I think this has helped me become more well-known nowadays, although there are many other factors involved.

When I opened a bank account the other month, the lady also asked where I was going next year. Her reaction was a loud gasp/squeal and told all nearby clerks of my news - it is not every day you see this in a bank.

J.
    My God! Isn't this taking the whole thing a tiny bit too far? I was the only person from my school to go, and I thought I got it bad! I didn't really care about being "the top academic in the school" or being acknowledged as such to be honest. I was "the clever one" anyway, which wasn't all that much fun to be honest.

I'm glad everyone round me was slightly more normal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hornblower)
    At church, word has managed to spread and I think this has helped me become more well-known nowadays, although there are many other factors involved.

And THAT kind of thing is why I don't go to church any more.

p.s. Ditto happened with me in the bank. Most people like to think about being "distinguished" and like to be associated with distinguished people (even in passing).

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.