Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Man, after I got accepted to Oxford for Law, my girlfriend dumped me. She couldn't handle it, she had applied also but was rejected.

That just takes the cake...

ReputationRep:
    Wow EuroAmeriAzn that it really bad. The green eyed monster strikes again.

I didn't really get that much extra attention - I'm already well known at school (even though I often wish I wasn't, one of the reasons I'm looking forward to uni and chose a big college - Trinity) and the headteacher was already trying to be dead pally (which is really embarassing when you're eating lunch)but now he's even worse. Still, another school locally got two acceptances and they were in the paper and we got 3 and no mention, so I think I got off lightly.

Everyone says wow when they hear where I'm going though.

ReputationRep:
    I think I must be the only person who didn't get this kind of crazy attention. When I mention it people sometimes go "ooooh, how posh!" but there was none of this appearing in the newspapers or anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    I think I must be the only person who didn't get this kind of crazy attention. When I mention it people sometimes go "ooooh, how posh!" but there was none of this appearing in the newspapers or anything.
    No, your not the only person

Which to be honest suites me down to the ground, I dont like being in the papers, school paper I can handle, but Lancashire Evening Telegraph, no thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Johns)
    school paper I can handle, but Lancashire Evening Telegraph, no thanks!
    Lol it's Lancashire Evening POST!!! We didn't even have a college newpaper or anything like that. Not that I'm compaining or anything, because tbh why should Oxbridge people get more recognition? Plenty of people get excellent grades every year and go on to excellent universities which aren't Oxford or Cambridge, so I personally don't see the point.

ReputationRep:
    Lol it's Lancashire Evening POST!!! We didn't even have a college newpaper or anything like that. Not that I'm compaining or anything, because tbh why should Oxbridge people get more recognition? Plenty of people get excellent grades every year and go on to excellent universities which aren't Oxford or Cambridge, so I personally don't see the point.
    For you it will be 'post', it is edited in Fulwood. The Burnley/Blackburn one is printed and edited in Burnley and is known as 'Telegraph'.

Agreed, IMO its just a way of schools promoting themselves for prospective childs parents.

ReputationRep:
    You know, just to put a downer on things, I'm actually worried about what doors "being accepted into Cambridge" is going to close. I've gotta go job hunting for the summer at Easter, and am wondering if mentioning Cambridge is just going to alienate employers / give the wrong impression. Maybe, maybe the opposite will happen, and they'll be impressed.

Anyone had experience of this or the opposite?

ReputationRep:
    No, I don't really get it either. That's why I wouldn't let them make the big fuss over it that they wanted to. It could so easily have been thrown back in their faces anyway - they could have their whole big spread about how one of their students had got into Cambridge, and then one of the grammar schools/Shrewsbury school/even my friends' comprehensive could come back and say that they got more in. Tis a bit silly really.

Lucerna - what is it you're worried about? If it's only a summer job, I don't see why they should mind where you're going to university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucerna)
    Anyone had experience of this or the opposite?
    I actually have sort of had experience of that. In my summer job no-one knew I had an Oxford offer, just because it's not really something that you tell people if it's not relevant. Then when results came out they asked me what I got and where I was going so I told them and they reacted quite bizarrely. They were never the same with me after that; I think they were paranoid that I thought I was better than them, which was totally not the case. You probably won' thave any problems though, and you certainly shouldn't have difficulty finding a job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    No, I don't really get it either. That's why I wouldn't let them make the big fuss over it that they wanted to. It could so easily have been thrown back in their faces anyway - they could have their whole big spread about how one of their students had got into Cambridge, and then one of the grammar schools/Shrewsbury school/even my friends' comprehensive could come back and say that they got more in. Tis a bit silly really.

Lucerna - what is it you're worried about? If it's only a summer job, I don't see why they should mind where you're going to university.
    It's like what hildabeast said - I'm just going for a bog-standard shop/record shop/bar job over the summer, and was worried about people reacting funny - I've heard murmurs about people looking down on oxbridge students in general in this context as not being well-prepared for "real life"...I know I can't really explain it well..maybe it's just paranoia speaking

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucerna)
    It's like what hildabeast said - I'm just going for a bog-standard shop/record shop/bar job over the summer, and was worried about people reacting funny - I've heard murmurs about people looking down on oxbridge students in general in this context as not being well-prepared for "real life"...I know I can't really explain it well..maybe it's just paranoia speaking
    I get what you mean, somepeople do have this assumption that by going to oxbridge you have no 'common sense' - its kind of annoying (ok, so there are a few mega-academics but you get them anywhere). Doubt it will affect getting a job though, its more of a subconsious assumption than something that will predjudice individual people (if that makes sense...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KaiserSoze)
    I get what you mean, somepeople do have this assumption that by going to oxbridge you have no 'common sense'
    Of course, in some cases ie mine this assumption is justified!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, my school's a pretty good school and it's not special getting into Oxbridge. Part of me (a very small part that is quickly crushed :P)becomes indignant and thinks that my place is being devalues and I really did put in the work to get it.

But then the reality is that some of my best friends didn't get in and really deserved to - they are seriously amazing, like the top of the country type of people - so it's a huge lottery, and I think that's why places are congratulated, but not celebrated to such a huge extent. It's just not fair on those people who didn't get in and deserved to more than others (that I know) who did.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone experienced a rather unpleasant "sour grapes" reaction - particularly from parents of other people in the same yeargroup? My family keep it quiet as a result - there's a lot of jealousy about. Also a lot of people have got chips on their shoulders, I find.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hedgie)
    Has anyone experienced a rather unpleasant "sour grapes" reaction - particularly from parents of other people in the same yeargroup? My family keep it quiet as a result - there's a lot of jealousy about. Also a lot of people have got chips on their shoulders, I find.
    undoubtedly my friends who were rejected are jealous, but theyre such good friends that they keep it to themselves

not too many sour grapes for me. everyone's really nice and happy about it or pretend to be for my sake

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hedgie)
    My mum, dad and I were having a celebratory drink in the pub garden near the beach and the mother of a girl who bullied me walked past (the mother herself was rude and horrid to my parents when she was called in to school). My mum happily and *casually* (yeah right) said, "SO, Alice, Cambridge it is...."

That mean girl now works in the chip shop and my mum keeps me posted if she walks past. Bless.

I suppose that isn't really an answer at all to your question. We don't boast, but our family has always been frowned upon and my parents are just so happy that it hasn't affected me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    My mum, dad and I were having a celebratory drink in the pub garden near the beach and the mother of a girl who bullied me walked past (the mother herself was rude and horrid to my parents when she was called in to school). My mum happily and *casually* (yeah right) said, "SO, Alice, Cambridge it is...."

That mean girl now works in the chip shop and my mum keeps me posted if she walks past. Bless.

I suppose that isn't really an answer at all to your question. We don't boast, but our family has always been frowned upon and my parents are just so happy that it hasn't affected me.
    Yes I remember I had a fair share of bullying at school and all of the so called "cool kids" at that time are now working in the lower class jobs such as till clerks, mechanic assistants, kitchen porters, cleaners.

ReputationRep:
    our family has always been frowned upon
    That sounds like something out of a nineteeth/early twentieth century novel! Class obsession and all that.

How and why were you 'frowned upon'? From the sounds of it it wasn't that you were looked down because of monetary factors.

ReputationRep:
    LOl, Excellent. I didn't even know bad karma could be that bad. Revenge is a dish best served with salt, vinegar, and battered cod.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by winorloose)
    That sounds like something out of a nineteeth/early twentieth century novel! Class obsession and all that.

How and why were you 'frowned upon'? From the sounds of it it wasn't that you were looked down because of monetary factors.
    It was. My dad had an industrial injury and we lived off benefits for ten years. We didn't have a phone/car/fitted kitchen/carpets or anything. When I was 8 someone said they wanted to get a new dress for me and I didn't realise that clothes came from shops - I thought they all came from black binliners (i.e. hand-me-downs). My mum worked as a cleaner and earnt a shocking £5 a week after the benefit people took all the rest away (she then gave it to my brother as pocket money). My mum used to take me to every jumble sale to buy books and I was always encouraged to learn though.

My parents are very very intelligent people but due to circumstances beyond their control (accidents, being let down by others) we were in a very very bad situation. My mum started an English degree when i was in year 7 and I read everything she did and wanted my essays to be as good as hers. Things only started to get better in Sixth Form really and I was bullied because of it and because I was the "brightest". I don't really remember being unhappy - although I saw a video that friend made of my mum's birthday party and on it I say, "Mummy, can we have baked potatoes for dinner every night?"

So we are fully justified in being proud, methinks (not that I think I came across as boastful before...) My mum just LOVES telling people.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.