Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oldthrashbarg)
    LOl, Excellent. I didn't even know bad karma could be that bad. Revenge is a dish best served with salt, vinegar, and battered cod.
    OO, I'll have to try and remember that one for my mum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    It was. My dad had an industrial injury and we lived off benefits for ten years. We didn't have a phone/car/fitted kitchen/carpets or anything. When I was 8 someone said they wanted to get a new dress for me and I didn't realise that clothes came from shops - I thought they all came from black binliners (i.e. hand-me-downs). My mum worked as a cleaner and earnt a shocking £5 a week after the benefit people took all the rest away (she then gave it to my brother as pocket money). My mum used to take me to every jumble sale to buy books and I was always encouraged to learn though.

My parents are very very intelligent people but due to circumstances beyond their control (accidents, being let down by others) we were in a very very bad situation. My mum started an English degree when i was in year 7 and I read everything she did and wanted my essays to be as good as hers. Things only started to get better in Sixth Form really and I was bullied because of it and because I was the "brightest". I don't really remember being unhappy - although I saw a video that friend made of my mum's birthday party and on it I say, "Mummy, can we have baked potatoes for dinner every night?"

So we are fully justified in being proud, methinks (not that I think I came across as boastful before...) My mum just LOVES telling people.
    Bloody hell. Thats very impressive. More than a slight understatement there, but you can't really put words to that kind of achievement.

I always knew I've had it easy, but never that it was so easy.

Not a lot I can say: it might sound patronising...

ReputationRep:
    It really is a bit of a sob story isn't it... LOL. It was horrible but I was (and still am) so loved - I could never imagine being shipped off to boarding school at 3.

ReputationRep:
    It really is a bit of a sob story isn't it... LOL. It was horrible but I was (and still am) so loved - I could never imagine being shipped off to boarding school at 3.
    Well thats the most important thing isn't it? Being loved, and able to laugh about it.

*Thinks desparately of trite quotation* Erm...'Love will always win'?

As for the boarding school at three - that only happens to people like Joey

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by winorloose)
    Yeah, and look at the result!

Nah seriously, we have almost no boarding schools in Denmark, so I'm having difficulty even grasping the concept of it.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, and look at the result!

Nah seriously, we have almost no boarding schools in Denmark, so I'm having difficulty even grasping the concept of it.
    There are both pros and cons, but as with most things in life, it depends on the induvidual. Some thrive, some don't.

However, I think that it should only start at 13 (or maybe 11). Any earlier is too early for the child (and maybe the parents).

Personally, I have enjoyed my time at boarding school. Ask me in ten years to see if i still hold the same opinion!

ReputationRep:
    Well thats the most important thing isn't it? Being loved, and able to laugh about it.

*Thinks desparately of trite quotation* Erm...'Love will always win'?

Hmm, evidently not

http://www.stmartins.ampleforth.org....BoardingF.html

There was a reason why I was packed off, my mum just simply wanted to go back to work after having three years off looking after me. One of her best friends got the deputy headship at a school and she was offered a job so she took it. My dad works about 12 yours a day plus 2 hours of travelling time on top of that, so he wasnt really in the position to pick me up from a day school either!

At the end of the day I had a proper bo time I tell thee

ReputationRep:
    There are both pros and cons, but as with most things in life, it depends on the induvidual. Some thrive, some don't.

However, I think that it should only start at 13 (or maybe 11). Any earlier is too early for the child (and maybe the parents).

Personally, I have enjoyed my time at boarding school. Ask me in ten years to see if i still hold the same opinion!

I assure you in ten years (when married to a lovely lady from Singapore with a public school obsession ) you will look back and think, I was a very lucky boy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Johns)
    Hmm, evidently not

http://www.stmartins.ampleforth.org....BoardingF.html

There was a reason why I was packed off, my mum just simply wanted to go back to work after having three years off looking after me. One of her best friends got the deputy headship at a school and she was offered a job so she took it. My dad works about 12 yours a day plus 2 hours of travelling time on top of that, so he wasnt really in the position to pick me up from a day school either!

At the end of the day I had a proper bo time I tell thee

I just had a look at the link:

"Older boarders sleep in the historic Castle dormitories which are unique and wonderfully idiosyncratic"

Lol, man that sounds bad.

ReputationRep:
    Wow JJ, you've managed it again. Now, tell us all about rugby just to round the thread off

ReputationRep:
    I just had a look at the link:

"Older boarders sleep in the historic Castle dormitories which are unique and wonderfully idiosyncratic"

Lol, man that sounds bad.

I'll be honest, its not as impressive as it sounds. This is the kind of room I stayed in until I was a bit older:

Living with friends is very cool though, we just sat up and talked for ages like you would if you stayed at your friends house.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Wow JJ, you've managed it again. Now, tell us all about rugby just to round the thread off

You instigated this one Blissy!

ReputationRep:
    A picture - classic JJ move.

Looks a bit... ummm.... depressing, to be honest.

ReputationRep:

You instigated this one Blissy!
    I did NOT! It was winorloose.

ReputationRep:
    A picture - classic JJ move.

Looks a bit... ummm.... depressing, to be honest.
    I'm giving the young gentlemen the reality of boarding school seen as he is from Denmark

Depressing to look at, but its the people that make school, not where you go.

ReputationRep:

Well, ok your public school sterotype is right this time

ReputationRep:
    I'm giving the young gentlemen the reality of boarding school seen as he is from Denmark

Depressing to look at, but its the people that make school, not where you go.
    Who the hell are you calling a young gentleman?. I would have you know that I am neither young, nor a gentleman.

ReputationRep:
    Who the hell are you calling a young gentleman?. I would have you know that I am neither young, nor a gentleman.
    That my friend is not true. Your at Johns later this year are you not? Makes you a true gentlemen

ReputationRep:
    No it wasn't it was you!

I could never imagine being shipped off to boarding school at 3.
    All I did was transfer it onto Joey.

Btw jj those cupboards look almost exactly like the ones we have here: do you reckon they have one big company supplying every boarding school?

when married to a lovely lady from Singapore with a public school obsession
    LOL. Now who could that be?

ReputationRep:

I always knew I've had it easy, but never that it was so easy.

I suppose I read that as associated with your school as well as general life style. Anyway you're all very lucky and I hope you will be nice to people like me who feel terribly left out when you do all your school-talking business. I can only talk about bin-liners and jumble sales. <sniff>

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.