Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Netbook, Tablet, PC, Laptop or Paper. What's your note-taking weapon? Watch

• View Poll Results: What do you (intend to) use at university?
    Laptop
    13.33%
    Netbook
    10.00%
    Tablet
    10.00%
    Tower PC
    3.33%
    Pen and Paper (and a good filing system)
    53.33%
    Macbook
    10.00%

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,
    I hope this is the correct board to post in for this...

So it's my eighteenth birthday in September, the same month that I will be moving into my second year at Sixth Form. A year after this, I will be entering my first year at university.
    In light of the fact that I will swiftly be going to university, my mum has asked me to look at a tablet to take to university with me. I know that if I got a tablet, i'd be getting the Nexus 7 (or perhaps the Nexus 10, still undecided, but either way the Nexus series is fantastic).

But I don't know if I want to take a tablet. I'd like to take my PC, which I built myself, but it seems silly to travel a fair distance with something so big. So if you take your PC to uni and back home with you, let me know how you cope with that.

I've never liked the idea of a netbook, because they are so underpowered, and I like power in my machine. But if you can argue a case for them, please do.

I've also never been much of a laptop fan, but I think if I was going to take something portable it would be a laptop. Whats your opinion on the Macbook, too? I think Macs look like a good idea for uni students.

Or are you traditional, and think I should just develop a decent filing system and take notes on paper?

Express your thoughts, feelings, opinions and experiences!

ReputationRep:
    I'm in year 13 now and have had an iPad for quite a while, but since I got a Macbook I hardly use it. It's the best thing ever, it's made me make really good notes for school & I got the macbook air because it will be so good to carry at uni.
    At school though I still have trusty pen and paper, but for transferring notes/for organisation I've found this laptop to be amazing. You can do whatever you want on it, keep a calendar, make reminders, get notifications straight from facebook/twitter/emails without having to log in, it's just so easy to use (once you get used to it). I know most laptops can do the same but the size & smoothness of using the air beats most!
    If you've still got 18 months until university I'd be careful not to get anything that will become outdated; for example a lot of people who bought a laptop with windows 7 last year cannot now upgrade to windows 8. I'm biased, but with mac the hardware is already superior & you have access to every software update that comes out no matter how old your laptop is.
    I loved my iPad while I had it but now when I'm at home, it's just as easy to use my laptop to browse the internet as it fires up so quickly and recovers all your pages so I don't use it for much anymore. I use it now mostly just to read on the kindle app and for skype, so no notes or anything.

ReputationRep:
    At university I always use pen and paper and could quite frankly kill anyone who types on a laptop :hmpf: It's pretty much always audible and nerve-wracking. So please, please take pen and paper

Apart from that I'm a big fan of the MacBook air or other equivalent ultrabooks. You can work.on them for hours on end without charging and there so light. Never saw any use in tablets though...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Livescribe Echo pen.

ReputationRep:
    I always used a netbook for taking notes, took my desktop to uni for everything else though.

Back and forth wasn't an issue much since I only went home for a week or two at Christmas and stayed at uni the rest of the year (including the summers between years).

ReputationRep:
    I have a tablet and a desktop (and a very old laptop I hardly ever use). I almost exclusively take notes with pen and paper in lectures, however the tablet is quite handy occasionally. Having a desktop PC at uni is good for me, I like having a big screen to work with on a fast computer, lets me run simulations that would take ages on a laptop.

A laptop is probably more useful than a tablet for work, most people on tablets in lectures are just playing games / on facebook. Depends on your course I guess if you will need programs other than pdf readers, e.g MATLAB then a laptop might be more useful.

ReputationRep:
    Anything. I use my iPad to take notes if I have it with me, but quite often I use paper and then upload a 'scan' (high quality photo) of it to Evernote so I can access it everywhere.

One thing I would consider is that it's awkward to type on a tablet unless you have a bluetooth keyboard, and you can't really hand in essays handwritten so a computer is still important!

ReputationRep:
    I can write nearly at the speed of speech on my nexus 7, I'd recommend installing Catch notes. You get 5 spaces to put notes into, good for organizing revision, and you can add pictures, voice recordings or checklists, plus if you need more spaces, you get more by either paying or emailing your friends to sign up. Using it at the moment for my A level notes, got sections for my English language and business studies, plus a shopping list section.

Or you can just use Google docs and use cloud print if you need to hand something in on paper, you just need the right kind of printer (HP eprint works)

ReputationRep:
    Pen & paper and a crap filing system :p:

Only a couple people in my lectures use laptops or tablets for note taking, literally 2 or 3 people that I've noticed. Most either have nothing or a notepad and pen.
    I've got a laptop but it's a bit big and awkward for lectures, especially since you don't usually have much of a desk infront of your seat. Also it could be a bit of a distraction I suppose.

I use my laptop a lot for assingments and stuff though, it just never leaves my flat.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 18, 2013
Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.