The Student Room Group

Southampton BM6 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sarakhan55513
Hiya everyone. Can some ex-BM6ers help me. Basically I was rejected after interview. Is it likely that I might get an offer on results (as some people may miss their grades). Did this happen to anyone you know? Thanks.

No, I am afraid not. They usually offer out around 45 offers for the 30 places. Even if these are not filled (ie last year was 28) then they just leave it short.

I have never heard of it happening I am afraid!
Original post by BethaneyJ
No, I am afraid not. They usually offer out around 45 offers for the 30 places. Even if these are not filled (ie last year was 28) then they just leave it short.

I have never heard of it happening I am afraid!

I phoned them today and they said maybe one or two, I just wanted to see how many, and how frequently this occurred.
Original post by sarakhan55513
I phoned them today and they said maybe one or two, I just wanted to see how many, and how frequently this occurred.

I haven't ever heard of it happening for BM6. BM5 yes. Once. But I wouldn't set hopes on it I am afraid :frown:

Although there might have been someone year before last (2011), who was a mystery and appeared late in the term and then disappeared again... I'll ask if he was a late acceptance :confused:
(edited 10 years ago)
I agree with Beth, this does happen in BM5 but I have never heard it happen in BM6. Also often the medical school will inform applicants they are on a waiting list so they know if ppl drop out they will be first in line for the space.
Got some bad news for some including myself. Southampton have decided that you must satisfy THREE of the eligibility criteria instead of two. This means people like myself wont be able to apply. I am absolutely gutted!

Why this year!?!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by SchoolKid.
Got some bad news for some including myself. Southampton have decided that you must satisfy THREE of the eligibility criteria instead of two. This means people like myself wont be able to apply. I am absolutely gutted!

Why this year!?!

Wow. Yes, I have just seen this on the Southampton website:

http://www.southampton.ac.uk/medicine/undergraduate/courses/bm6_a102.page?#entry

I am really sorry to hear that you are no longer eligible SchoolKid. Good luck with your application :frown:
Wow. Yes, I have just seen this on the Southampton website:

http://www.southampton.ac.uk/medicine/undergraduate/courses/bm6_a102.page?#entry

I am really sorry to hear that you are no longer eligible SchoolKid. Good luck with your application :frown:

Medicine is looking less likely for me now. I can only apply to Kings EMDP and Nottingham now.

Its a shame because I really liked Southampton. Its just my luck.
Hiya!!! I'm applying for med in 2014 as well!!!!
I'm an Int'l student!!

Hey! could u guys tell me what these 3 criteria are????
I really havnt got a clue!! :colondollar:
Original post by Sharanya S Kumar
Hiya!!! I'm applying for med in 2014 as well!!!!
I'm an Int'l student!!

Hey! could u guys tell me what these 3 criteria are????
I really havnt got a clue!! :colondollar:

Hey!

As I mentioned in the thread there are 3 courses. BM6 is widening access and is not open to international students.

"Graduate, international applicants, and students who have previously enrolled on a higher education programme are not eligible to apply for this programme."

This thread is for BM6 applciants.

Do you want the 5 year course (standard medicine)? If so you want this thread:

Southampton BM5 2014 Applicants

Or the 4 year course (graduate entry):

Southampton BM4 2014 Entry
Hey!

As I mentioned in the thread there are 3 courses. BM6 is widening access and is not open to international students.

"Graduate, international applicants, and students who have previously enrolled on a higher education programme are not eligible to apply for this programme."

This thread is for BM6 applciants.

Do you want the 5 year course (standard medicine)? If so you want this thread:

Southampton BM5 2014 Applicants

Or the 4 year course (graduate entry):

Southampton BM4 2014 Entry

Oh!!! Ya.... I got that .....
THX!!!:colondollar:
Original post by Sharanya S Kumar
Oh!!! Ya.... I got that .....
THX!!!:colondollar:

Haha no problem! Just glad we got it sorted early :wink:

:biggrin:

Hey Beth :smile:

I'm a prospective applicant for BM6 :biggrin: , looking through the eligibility criteria and calling up, I cover 5/6 of the criteria. What difference does having an extra two give me? Also, would A2 predictions (hopefully) of A*BB - A*BC acceptable? would people have higher than this (for bm6).
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by tobnot
Hey, I'm a current BM6 (2012) so if anyone has any questions or wants any info about Southampton or the BM6 course leading up to your application please feel free to PM me or ask on this thread! It's an amazing course and best of luck for all of those who are considering to apply for the BM6 course. :smile:

hey, what do i need to get for AS to apply for this course?
For GCSE i got 3A* 3A ,4B's and a C
is it enough?
Original post by CoolRunner
Hey Beth :smile:

I'm a prospective applicant for BM6 :biggrin: , looking through the eligibility criteria and calling up, I cover 5/6 of the criteria. What difference does having an extra two give me? Also, would A2 predictions (hopefully) of A*BB - A*BC acceptable? would people have higher than this (for bm6).

No, I am afraid it will giive you no advantage to have more than 3. And the entry requirements are BBC so as your predictions are higher, that's fine. Again, it won't give you an advantage to have over BBC, but you meet the minimum so that's fine! You'll find people with the full range from BBC - A* A* A* A* in BM6 as people do it for a range of reasons :smile:

Original post by Rukhsaar
hey, what do i need to get for AS to apply for this course?
For GCSE i got 3A* 3A ,4B's and a C
is it enough?

Southampton don't consider AS results. You just need predicted grades of BBC or higher at A2.

Yep. It is still 5 A*- C inc. Maths, english and double science so your GCSEs are fine too :biggrin:

Good luck! <3
Reply 35
No, I am afraid it will giive you no advantage to have more than 3. And the entry requirements are BBC so as your predictions are higher, that's fine. Again, it won't give you an advantage to have over BBC, but you meet the minimum so that's fine! You'll find people with the full range from BBC - A* A* A* A* in BM6 as people do it for a range of reasons :smile:

Southampton don't consider AS results. You just need predicted grades of BBC or higher at A2.

Yep. It is still 5 A*- C inc. Maths, english and double science so your GCSEs are fine too :biggrin:

Good luck! <3

Thank you very much
Reply 36
For this course when you receive your degree does it state that you have had a foundation year and is this unpleasant to employers?
Original post by AhmedDavid
For this course when you receive your degree does it state that you have had a foundation year and is this unpleasant to employers?

No, it is not mentioned as far as I am aware, and even if it was it wouldn't have any bearing on employers.
Reply 38
Hello! :smile:

How do Southampton (BM6) use the UKCAT? :s-smilie:
Original post by bm_sewell
Hello! :smile:

How do Southampton (BM6) use the UKCAT? :s-smilie:

They don't really. They may use it to choose between two extremely similar candidates but they don't use it any other way.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending