Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    how shall I prepare for the panel interview just go through the typical question do research on Nottingham read your ps have you got any hints Bethany?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SchoolKid.)
    I rang them and asked how they choose which applicants get an interview and they said they look at EVERYTHING (UKCAT, grades, PS) Those are the ones that she listed specifically. I asked her about the PS ranking out of 15 and she said nothing exist of that sort.

(Original post by SchoolKid.)
    [/B]

That will be great

Its just when I said that she said nothing of that exists and sounded certain about that :confused:
    Confirmation today that while of course everything else is checked, provided you meet the eligibility criteria your PS is reviewed by 2 people ans they select people for interview on that basis.

No more interviews are going out.

The interview will be based on your personal statement and non- academic entry requirements listed on the website/prospectus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BethaneyJ)
    They're not releasing that information yet :no:
    Oh I see! How about last year? I just want to know how competitive this course is
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by June-2013)
    how shall I prepare for the panel interview just go through the typical question do research on Nottingham read your ps have you got any hints Bethany?
    My protips:

Step 1: Read your personal statement.
    Step 2: Read up about the university – What features of the course make you perfect for it and it perfect for you?
    Step 3: Write a list of everything you want them to know about you by the end of the interview.
    Step 4: Find a list of typical medical school questions
    Step 5: Answer each question working from step 4 in one of the points on your list from step 3. Then answer it again using a different point. This may seem stupid at first, but it will get you used to answering random questions and also fitting questions to the answers you want to give, working in the details that you want to get across.

This is all I did! It seemed to work for me haha. Remember they’re not there to trick you, or to confuse you. If you don’t understand a question, ask what they meant (I did!). They’d prefer you to ask for clarification and answer the right question then make no sense at all.
    Relax. It will be over so quickly you won’t believe and I don’t even remember most of mine!
    Good luck.

(Original post by Limitless!)
    Oh I see! How about last year? I just want to know how competitive this course is
    Ah! I think it's about 16-20 applicants per place. It varies each year

(Original post by zab786)
    Thankyou Bethaney :*
    which Atul Gawande books have u read I've read Better: A surgeons notes on performance
    such a good read
    okay thankyou ive read some articles aswell on latest medical news hope its nt that harsh
    That's my favourite actually :P

Shouldn't be too harsh.

ReputationRep:
    Aaaaaaahhhh. That makes so much more sense. Well good luck with it all and see you next week!
    Thanks, see you then(if I don't get lost).

ReputationRep:
    hahah thanks xx

ReputationRep:
    Confirmation today that while of course everything else is checked, provided you meet the eligibility criteria your PS is reviewed by 2 people ans they select people for interview on that basis.

No more interviews are going out.

The interview will be based on your personal statement and non- academic entry requirements listed on the website/prospectus.
    Thanks for that

ReputationRep:
    My protips:

Step 1: Read your personal statement.
    Step 2: Read up about the university – What features of the course make you perfect for it and it perfect for you?
    Step 3: Write a list of everything you want them to know about you by the end of the interview.
    Step 4: Find a list of typical medical school questions
    Step 5: Answer each question working from step 4 in one of the points on your list from step 3. Then answer it again using a different point. This may seem stupid at first, but it will get you used to answering random questions and also fitting questions to the answers you want to give, working in the details that you want to get across.

This is all I did! It seemed to work for me haha. Remember they’re not there to trick you, or to confuse you. If you don’t understand a question, ask what they meant (I did!). They’d prefer you to ask for clarification and answer the right question then make no sense at all.
    Relax. It will be over so quickly you won’t believe and I don’t even remember most of mine!
    Good luck.

Ah! I think it's about 16-20 applicants per place. It varies each year

That's my favourite actually :P

Shouldn't be too harsh.
    Hey Bethaney wanted to ask in the 20 minute panel
    Do they judge on communication/ confidence
    Sometimes i end up stuttering in interview situation
    :-/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Working4it)
    Any one traveling to southampton from birmingham on 19th???????

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm new on here so let's hope I'm replying to the right post!!!

Out of curiosity, is your interview on the 19th?
    My interview is at 8AM, so have travel from Manchester the day before.

FREAKING OUT!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody know what phone number to call Southampton on to find out why you got rejected without interview? :/ I'm just curious to know why I didn't get offered an interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hopefuldoctor)
    Does anybody know what phone number to call Southampton on to find out why you got rejected without interview? :/ I'm just curious to know why I didn't get offered an interview.
    I called them yesterday and they said if you don't hear from is it's most likely a rejection. And she said she won't be taking ucas ID's over the phone and that everybody should hear back by the end of March.

I think that's enough to let us know we've been rejected.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by straw-struck)
    I called them yesterday and they said if you don't hear from is it's most likely a rejection. And she said she won't be taking ucas ID's over the phone and that everybody should hear back by the end of March.

I think that's enough to let us know we've been rejected.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh. Because I read on here that some people rang up to ask why they didn't get an interview so I thought I'd do the same. It's even worse having to wait till march to hear why you got rejected.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tammi_8)

FREAKING OUT!!!!
    where are u going to stay overnight?

ReputationRep:
    registration* not interview

going to have to find a hotel nearby.. they recommended a couple of hotels in the email.

They're only willing to refund £100 and it'll be at least £200 for travel and accommodation which sucks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Limitless!)
    Anyone going on the 19th?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    moi!

My registration is at 8.45
    They must somehow know I'm not a morning person!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Hey Bethaney wanted to ask in the 20 minute panel
    Do they judge on communication/ confidence
    Sometimes i end up stuttering in interview situation
    :-/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't know for sure I am afraid. They're only assessing the "non-academic entry requirements" in the prospectus though and they shouldn't be able to discriminate on that.

(Original post by Tammi_8)

FREAKING OUT!!!!
    All the interviews are the same day

They won't give individual feedback as a general rule, though the general reason should be attached in a letter on UCAS when it comes through. This course is EXTREMELY competitive. More than most 5 year courses. Most people who apply get straight out rejected

ReputationRep:
    I don't know for sure I am afraid. They're only assessing the "non-academic entry requirements" in the prospectus though and they shouldn't be able to discriminate on that.

All the interviews are the same day

They won't give individual feedback as a general rule, though the general reason should be attached in a letter on UCAS when it comes through. This course is EXTREMELY competitive. More than most 5 year courses. Most people who apply get straight out rejected

Bethany, what i meant to say is a stutter due to being nervous and use the "ermm" term a lot,
    In your interview where you fluent in the way you spoke?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I dont understand. If im rejected why dont they just tell me now.. its my last option and they are really frustrating me. i dont know what to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theworld)
    I dont understand. If im rejected why dont they just tell me now.. its my last option and they are really frustrating me. i dont know what to do.
    Yah same
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Bethany, what i meant to say is a stutter due to being nervous and use the "ermm" term a lot,
    In your interview where you fluent in the way you spoke?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah I understood what you meant and my comment still stands . They can't hold it against you if you get nervous in an interview! Unless it is paralysing and going to affect your ability to study the course I guess...

I don't really remember. I guess so. But I don't count saying "erm" as not fluent, it's a sign you're thinking.

(Original post by theworld)
    Yah same

There is still an off chance someone will withdraw from interviews. They're keeping their options open. As much as I know you want to move into something else, you have to remember that is your priority, not theirs at the moment. It's frustrating, but there isn't much to be done about it I am afraid.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.