The Student Room Group

Southampton BM6 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Neostigmine
Hi guys!

Just a little message to say to those with offers that this year, 585 people applied to BM6. Of those, only 96 got interviews and of course, only 40 offers we made. So huuuuuge congratulations to those who managed to get an interview, and those who got an offer.

Good luck with results day!!

Can I reapply for the BM6 programme because I didn't manage to get an offer.
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mariagoretti
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm a BM6 re-applicant. Worked fine for me!
Failed last year, got in this year.
Original post by IdeasForLife
I'm a BM6 re-applicant. Worked fine for me!
Failed last year, got in this year.

Thanks and well done on your offer!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mariagoretti
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Absolutely :yes: Good luck!
Hi i had an interview but didn't get an offer but I got an e-mail about being on the waiting list? Im not sure about this as I didn't know soton did this for bm6? did anyone else receive this? thanks!
Original post by rabbit11
Hi i had an interview but didn't get an offer but I got an e-mail about being on the waiting list? Im not sure about this as I didn't know soton did this for bm6? did anyone else receive this? thanks!

Yeah, they do have lists for every course :smile: Congratulations! You must have been close to an offer (which is both brilliant and terrible news I guess). Hopefully results day goes well and there is a space :smile:
Original post by IdeasForLife
I'm not sure tbh, its best if you email the university directly and ask :h:

Hey!!
Thanks for the reply. I called them up and they want 2 alevels. Chem and bio at grade B. I didnt ask them whether retaking them over 3 years would make a difference.. Do you think it would?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JohnsHatun
Hey!!
Thanks for the reply. I called them up and they want 2 alevels. Chem and bio at grade B. I didnt ask them whether retaking them over 3 years would make a difference.. Do you think it would?

Posted from TSR Mobile

How does the a levels work in relation to the btec? Do you need bio and chem as well?

Most universities have a "2 years for a levels" policy so yes it does make a difference unfortunately. What years did you do what, and what grades did you have at the end of each year?
I failed basically. And yes they want chem and bio.

Posted from TSR Mobile
How does the a levels work in relation to the btec? Do you need bio and chem as well?

Most universities have a "2 years for a levels" policy so yes it does make a difference unfortunately. What years did you do what, and what grades did you have at the end of each year?

However not declaring U grades can work a lot in my favour. They wont see I took bio over 3 years? They wont see the grades right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I really don't understand southampton though. Even for their biomed degree they say they will only consider btec applicants on an individual basis. I mean they aren't high in league tables at all. I went to surrey and they seemed more than happy to accept a btec student and they are in the top 10 and southampton isnt. So I dont see the big fuss....

Posted from TSR Mobile
I failed basically. And yes they want chem and bio.

Posted from TSR Mobile

However not declaring U grades can work a lot in my favour. They wont see I took bio over 3 years? They wont see the grades right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think they can see that you took 3 years (though don't understand the mechanics of how). Also you have to take the equivalent of 3 a levels at the same time to show you can handle the work. If you lie and somehow get away with it, but they find out at any time in your degree they can and will remove you from the course.

I really don't understand southampton though. Even for their biomed degree they say they will only consider btec applicants on an individual basis. I mean they aren't high in league tables at all. I went to surrey and they seemed more than happy to accept a btec student and they are in the top 10 and southampton isnt. So I dont see the big fuss....

Posted from TSR Mobile

Different universities have different entry requirements and it has nothing to do with any "prestige" from league tables. They set them at levels where the students achieving the grades are capable of doing the course. Each course at each uni is different hence the different requirements. And it is up to theuni on how they want to set this. If they're happy for any btec then great, if they want to check each one, then that is their prerogative.
I think they can see that you took 3 years (though don't understand the mechanics of how). Also you have to take the equivalent of 3 a levels at the same time to show you can handle the work. If you lie and somehow get away with it, but they find out at any time in your degree they can and will remove you from the course.

Different universities have different entry requirements and it has nothing to do with any "prestige" from league tables. They set them at levels where the students achieving the grades are capable of doing the course. Each course at each uni is different hence the different requirements. And it is up to theuni on how they want to set this. If they're happy for any btec then great, if they want to check each one, then that is their prerogative.

The league tables are a lot to do with the types of students in terms of entry requirements the institutions take in. So yes, it has a lot to do with being or acting in this case "prestige". And yes, I will have completed my alevels all in one go. I called up another uni and they said it wouldn't put me at an disadvantage as they assess applicants individually. A lot of the admissions officers are discouraging whilst a lot are encouraging. She even said "good luck"!! This makes a BIG difference. Gives people confidence.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The league tables are a lot to do with the types of students in terms of entry requirements the institutions take in. So yes, it has a lot to do with being or acting in this case "prestige". And yes, I will have completed my alevels all in one go. I called up another uni and they said it wouldn't put me at an disadvantage as they assess applicants individually. A lot of the admissions officers are discouraging whilst a lot are encouraging. She even said "good luck"!! This makes a BIG difference. Gives people confidence.

Posted from TSR Mobile

League tables mean nothing in medicine :no:. We all get the same degree and when applying for jobs, no one knows where you came from anyway due to the application process.

I am sorry you feel discouraged. That is not the best feeling. The issue is, universities will never be short of applicants for medicine. Southampton had nearly 6000 last cycle and they have about 270 places for all 3 of their courses so they're not battling for every applicant.

Good luck with your application!
(edited 9 years ago)
if you had an intervie but wernt made an offer is it okay to ring them up on results day to ask them to reconsider/? or if hey are any spaces
Original post by June-2013
if you had an intervie but wernt made an offer is it okay to ring them up on results day to ask them to reconsider/? or if hey are any spaces

They give 40 offers and there are 30 places. Historically, even if they don't have enough students for each of the 30 places, they still don't make any offers to those who didn't get one before. They usually just go ahead with a smaller class.

That's not to say it isn't worth trying, but that realistically, it's probably going to be a no. Nothing to lose by trying though.
They give 40 offers and there are 30 places. Historically, even if they don't have enough students for each of the 30 places, they still don't make any offers to those who didn't get one before. They usually just go ahead with a smaller class.

That's not to say it isn't worth trying, but that realistically, it's probably going to be a no. Nothing to lose by trying though.

Hello. I've been accepted onto the BM6 course this year but I haven't applied for my accomodation yet. I was wondering what accomodation you would suggest for a BM6 student in terms of ease of access to the medical school and what buildings we'll be in the most. Thank you! :smile:

Also, what accomodation has everyone else picked? :smile:
Original post by BlastEndedSkrewt
Hello. I've been accepted onto the BM6 course this year but I haven't applied for my accomodation yet. I was wondering what accomodation you would suggest for a BM6 student in terms of ease of access to the medical school and what buildings we'll be in the most. Thank you! :smile:

Also, what accomodation has everyone else picked? :smile:

During year 0 you will be almost completely at Highfield campus so the nearest halls are Glen, Wessex and probably Gateway. But all halls are well connected via bus :smile:

Quick Reply