Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

How to cope with awkwardness of new r/ship- is this normal? Watch

Hey,

So I'm 20, recently met a new guy- he really likes me, is really affectionate and we're ridiculously similar. The deal is basically we both previously had rubbish relationships with our ex's, and personally it has made me feel insecure.

Even though we're confident people when in a group, he's openly told me I make him feel 'a bit nervous in a good way' when he's around me. And he makes me feel that way too. Is this normal/what does this mean? It's almost to the extent I can't bring myself to meet up with him.

I've never felt this with my previous boyfriends and was always reasonably comfortable with 'getting with them'... (I'm not a virgin). But this time feels so much different and I'm very confused- I can tell he feels the same despite the fact we've told each other how much we like each other. He said to me he's 'never felt this way about a girl before,' and I've never felt this way about a guy.

We've only kissed/cuddled etc but there is a huge amount of sexual tension between us- I just don't feel like I can do that right now because he makes me feel so nervous.

Any suggestions how I can get over this? Should I talk to him? We've only been dating a couple months but were friends for a year and a half before this.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I think this is probably a normal response to dating and really liking someone. The more you hang out, the more natural it will start to feel and you both will probably become more relaxed with each other. Depending what he's like, I might be tempted to just tell him that you feel really nervous about the situation and you don't know why...you could make it into a joke almost and that might break the tension??

(Original post by whisper2012)
    I think this is probably a normal response to dating and really liking someone. The more you hang out, the more natural it will start to feel and you both will probably become more relaxed with each other. Depending what he's like, I might be tempted to just tell him that you feel really nervous about the situation and you don't know why...you could make it into a joke almost and that might break the tension??
    Thanks for the response-

I've told him he makes me feel nervous too, but it doesn't seem to have helped anything. I just feel confused- it couldn't possibly be that we love each other cos we've only been dating a couple months :/

ReputationRep:
    I can't really say whether this is "normal" or not, but I was like that with my boyfriend when we first met! I remember thinking before we would meet up "I hope he cancels!" just because I was so nervous. This one time I actually downed some whiskey because I was so nervous, and I don't even like whiskey :-/
    He still made me feel nervous for quite some time but it just gradually became natural, now he's the one person in the world I can talk to about anything and the only person that makes me feel 100% happy

So maybe it will end like that for you, maybe not! But I think the nerves must be a good sign!

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Hey,

So I'm 20, recently met a new guy- he really likes me, is really affectionate and we're ridiculously similar. The deal is basically we both previously had rubbish relationships with our ex's, and personally it has made me feel insecure.

Even though we're confident people when in a group, he's openly told me I make him feel 'a bit nervous in a good way' when he's around me. And he makes me feel that way too. Is this normal/what does this mean? It's almost to the extent I can't bring myself to meet up with him.

I've never felt this with my previous boyfriends and was always reasonably comfortable with 'getting with them'... (I'm not a virgin). But this time feels so much different and I'm very confused- I can tell he feels the same despite the fact we've told each other how much we like each other. He said to me he's 'never felt this way about a girl before,' and I've never felt this way about a guy.

We've only kissed/cuddled etc but there is a huge amount of sexual tension between us- I just don't feel like I can do that right now because he makes me feel so nervous.

Any suggestions how I can get over this? Should I talk to him? We've only been dating a couple months but were friends for a year and a half before this.

Thanks

(Original post by sugar_and_spice)
    I can't really say whether this is "normal" or not, but I was like that with my boyfriend when we first met! I remember thinking before we would meet up "I hope he cancels!" just because I was so nervous. This one time I actually downed some whiskey because I was so nervous, and I don't even like whiskey :-/
    He still made me feel nervous for quite some time but it just gradually became natural, now he's the one person in the world I can talk to about anything and the only person that makes me feel 100% happy

So maybe it will end like that for you, maybe not! But I think the nerves must be a good sign!
    I really hope that's how it ends up for me Thank you

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 10, 2013
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.