Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I know it seems like a silly question, but I wanted to get a couple of views about what colours/styles are suitable in terms of guys. Is a black suit for guys a no-no? Haven't seen many around in the City. Are there any suitable shirt colours outside white, light blue, light pink and light lilac? Also interested to see what people think about waistcoats and brown shoes. Any general advice for people is welcomed too, hopefully lots of people can make use of this thread!

ReputationRep:
    Well, I always associate black suits with funerals and waistcoats/three piece suits with the 1990s or Americans.

Personally, I'd go for a modern light grey or navy two-piece for the suit and then add a splash of colour/interest with the shirt or tie. It certainly doesn't all have to be ultra-conservative charcoal suits and light blue shirts. Brown shoes can work with navy and grey suits..but black shoes will work.

That said, in all honesty, 90% of people won't care/notice what you wear, so long as it's within the firm's dress code.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sync)
    Well, I always associate black suits with funerals and waistcoats/three piece suits with the 1990s or Americans.

Personally, I'd go for a modern light grey or navy two-piece for the suit and then add a splash of colour/interest with the shirt or tie. It certainly doesn't all have to be ultra-conservative charcoal suits and light blue shirts. Brown shoes can work with navy and grey suits..but black shoes will work.

That said, in all honesty, 90% of people won't care/notice what you wear, so long as it's within the firm's dress code.
    Certainly agree with this. Also, you don't need to spend a fortune, M&S is good! One tip is to not come in better dressed than those you will be working with (in terms of clothing expense).
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diplock)
    I know it seems like a silly question, but I wanted to get a couple of views about what colours/styles are suitable in terms of guys. Is a black suit for guys a no-no? Haven't seen many around in the City. Are there any suitable shirt colours outside white, light blue, light pink and light lilac? Also interested to see what people think about waistcoats and brown shoes. Any general advice for people is welcomed too, hopefully lots of people can make use of this thread!
    I always got told that a black suit was a major no-no, apparently they're associated with estate agents and mobile phone salesmen.

Only other thing I've heard is not to wear a shirt with a breast pocket, that cufflinks are a good idea but not essential (I didn't wear them) and that, even if you can afford it, not to wear a suit that only the partners should be able to afford.

ReputationRep:
    Great advice guys!

ReputationRep:
    i agree with sync

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.