Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

ReputationRep:
    I'm with santander and have an unarranged overdraft in one of my accounts. I wen't a few £ in overdraft for one day, it says it charges £5 a day capped at 20 days, what does this mean? will it charge the £5 after 20 days or does the £5 multiply by 20 so charge me £100?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    You are charged £5 every day you are overdrawn. If you are overdrawn for a long time you only pay for a maximum of 20 days.

As you were only overdrawn for 1 day you will only pay one fee. However, it depends how you're counting as if you went overdrawn on Tuesday but paid in on Wednesday they may class that as two days.

Make sure you keep more than £5 in your account, as otherwise you'll go overdrawn when they take the fee out and then be charged more.

Sent from my GT-S5363

ReputationRep:
    I HATE Santander! I was overdrawn by £3 and didn't know because they only sent my statement online and because I had a new account, I didn't bother with it (actually thought id closed it) when one day I got a letter at my mums saying bailiffs were coming!!!! I went up to the bank and ended up having to pay over £400! All they had to say for themselves was I had an unarranged overdraft fee at £50 per month!

My advice is pay it and soon!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aries1992)
    I HATE Santander! I was overdrawn by £3 and didn't know because they only sent my statement online and because I had a new account, I didn't bother with it (actually thought id closed it) when one day I got a letter at my mums saying bailiffs were coming!!!! I went up to the bank and ended up having to pay over £400! All they had to say for themselves was I had an unarranged overdraft fee at £50 per month!

My advice is pay it and soon!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    I hate them as well, I'm leaving them as soon as I leave university in 2014. In the summer I didn't know I was in overdraft by a few £ and they decided to send a letter when I was in over £100 in debt, they also added another £80 on the debt for some reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toddman10)
    I hate them as well, I'm leaving them as soon as I leave university in 2014. In the summer I didn't know I was in overdraft by a few £ and they decided to send a letter when I was in over £100 in debt, they also added another £80 on the debt for some reason.
    Called unpaid item fees and over the limit charges.... its your own fault.... most people check there accounts on a daily basis.....but there is one refund per life of the account so if your not a multiple offender you will get your charges back as a sign off goodwill, if you speak to customer services.

ReputationRep:
    I'm with santander and have an unarranged overdraft in one of my accounts. I wen't a few £ in overdraft for one day, it says it charges £5 a day capped at 20 days, what does this mean? will it charge the £5 after 20 days or does the £5 multiply by 20 so charge me £100?
    Yes with a Student Account the charges are the same as an Everyday Account. So that means everyday that you are over your arranged overdraft it is £5 a day capped off at 20 days which is £100. If you haven't had charges before refunded, go into a branch, get on the phone and they will automatically refund you one set of charges per life time of the account as a "good will gesture". Any personal banker or even the branch manager can do it in branch, its discretion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SloaneRanger)
    Yes with a Student Account the charges are the same as an Everyday Account. So that means everyday that you are over your arranged overdraft it is £5 a day capped off at 20 days which is £100. If you haven't had charges before refunded, go into a branch, get on the phone and they will automatically refund you one set of charges per life time of the account as a "good will gesture". Any personal banker or even the branch manager can do it in branch, its discretion.
    but that was my second offence, though i wasn't aware of the first one, i was aware of this as i had only £6 in the account and the lowest i could take from atm was £10 so had to go into overdraft, it was just 1 day though.

also, in my online banking account when i go to 'view charges' it says no charges are due to be applied to my account? does this mean i don't be charged? it was less than 24 hours i was in overdraft by the way

ReputationRep:
    but that was my second offence, though i wasn't aware of the first one, i was aware of this as i had only £6 in the account and the lowest i could take from atm was £10 so had to go into overdraft, it was just 1 day though.

also, in my online banking account when i go to 'view charges' it says no charges are due to be applied to my account? does this mean i don't be charged? it was less than 24 hours i was in overdraft by the way
    Charges tend to be generated at the end of the month, whether arrange or unarranged. Best thing is to call up telephone banking and they can see it, if you havent had anything refunded they will prevent the charges from even being incurred. View Charges only updates once the statement cycle has been updated, your cycle hasn't.....its a 10-15 min phone call.....doesn't matter the system itself will just generate a charge.

Poll
Which pet is the best?
Useful resources
How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.