Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm Max, 24, and I'll try keep this brief...

In 2006 I finished a course of A levels, Law Politics and Economics, with grades BBC. This was lower than predicted due to some personal problems in my final two terms, grades would show AAB for the first year, and are backed up by and AS English B and Psychology C and 8 GCSE's at A-C.
    I had already decided to take a gap year, and did not apply for deffered entry. My Gap year turned into several more, and I worked as a chef and kitchen manager for some national chains.

I'm now strongly considering a degree in Law or Politics, or a joint honours. I would like to study in London, and the majority of courses I have researched and am interested in have a standard offer of AAB or ABB.
    • How much could I make of my experiences as a manager to enhance my potential for an offer with only BBC?

• What do you think the likelihood of an offer from a university Typical offering at ABB making me an offer?

Or alternatively..

• Would an Access course be a good solution for me, I could hopefully achieve the potential I didn't realise with my A Levels, and get a good enough pass for the AAB courses I'm interested in.
    - I would just rather not lose another year, and might also struggle to pay for the access course.

ReputationRep:
    My first bit of advice would be to speak to the universities you are considering. Contact their admissions dept(s). and they will give you a much greater indication as to whether your experience alongside A Level grades are acceptable at present, or whether you will require further qualifications/higher grades. What I woild say is that some Universities like evidence of recent study, preferably in the last 2-3years.

I am a mature student (34 now, eeek!); I did A Levels in the late 90's and also have a HNC. My career has been spent in food development and laboratory management. I am currently doing an Access to Combined Studies course that is accredited by Northumbria University and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend such a course for people wanting to get back into education. I have firmed an offer from Newcastle University for medical science and their A Level requirements are AAA-ABB.

The funding for Access courses is changing for Sept 2013 entry, it is anticipated to cost £3000. But, it can be funded by a student loan and I believe the student loan for the Access course will be written off upon successful completion of a degree. I would also advise that, if you do choose an Access course, you do your research and choose a course that is accredited by a University or University based. Most importantly, ensure that the course you choose is accepted by the Universities you are considering.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bunnyjo)
    My first bit of advice would be to speak to the universities you are considering. Contact their admissions dept(s). and they will give you a much greater indication as to whether your experience alongside A Level grades are acceptable at present, or whether you will require further qualifications/higher grades. What I woild say is that some Universities like evidence of recent study, preferably in the last 2-3years.

I am a mature student (34 now, eeek!); I did A Levels in the late 90's and also have a HNC. My career has been spent in food development and laboratory management. I am currently doing an Access to Combined Studies course that is accredited by Northumbria University and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend such a course for people wanting to get back into education. I have firmed an offer from Newcastle University for medical science and their A Level requirements are AAA-ABB.

The funding for Access courses is changing for Sept 2013 entry, it is anticipated to cost £3000. But, it can be funded by a student loan and I believe the student loan for the Access course will be written off upon successful completion of a degree. I would also advise that, if you do choose an Access course, you do your research and choose a course that is accredited by a University or University based. Most importantly, ensure that the course you choose is accepted by the Universities you are considering.

Good luck.
    Thanks very much for your comments.

Do you know where I can find out more about the funding changes?

I think I will definitely contact a few university's for their advice, and any course recommendations.

ReputationRep:
    i would say contact the universities and see what they say. the college would be able to advise you on fees i imagine. it may be that now your a mature student that they won't require any further qualifications and they ask you to do a couple of short courses over the summer just to get back in to education. i did access last year and i am now at uni having obtained zero A levels and one GCSE at C. access was great as it allowed me to get back in to education and also refreshed me on how to write essay's and they also help with university applications and personal statements. the final thing i would say is check out which Access it is as there are different ones such as health and social care and music.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Griffin88)
    Thanks very much for your comments.

Do you know where I can find out more about the funding changes?

I think I will definitely contact a few university's for their advice, and any course recommendations.
    There is very little about the funding changes online. I only know because I took part in a filmed Q&A session to highlight the changes within Access to HE. You could contact your local college/university and they may be able to advise. It's a shame, because there was a seemingly never ending pot of funding for this year, but there appears to be very little for next year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Griffin88)
    Hi, I'm Max, 24, and I'll try keep this brief...

In 2006 I finished a course of A levels, Law Politics and Economics, with grades BBC. This was lower than predicted due to some personal problems in my final two terms, grades would show AAB for the first year, and are backed up by and AS English B and Psychology C and 8 GCSE's at A-C.
    I had already decided to take a gap year, and did not apply for deffered entry. My Gap year turned into several more, and I worked as a chef and kitchen manager for some national chains.

I'm now strongly considering a degree in Law or Politics, or a joint honours. I would like to study in London, and the majority of courses I have researched and am interested in have a standard offer of AAB or ABB.
    • How much could I make of my experiences as a manager to enhance my potential for an offer with only BBC?

• What do you think the likelihood of an offer from a university Typical offering at ABB making me an offer?

Or alternatively..

• Would an Access course be a good solution for me, I could hopefully achieve the potential I didn't realise with my A Levels, and get a good enough pass for the AAB courses I'm interested in.
    - I would just rather not lose another year, and might also struggle to pay for the access course.
    Hi, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be able to do access if you already have a levels as its a designed for people who don't have level 3 qualifications
    But like everyone else is saying, get in touch with unis direct, they might accept you and it doesn't hurt to get there advice one which way they suggest you go.
    There is an access website if it helps, not sure the address but google will find it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SM:Tori)
    Hi, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be able to do access if you already have a levels as its a designed for people who don't have level 3 qualifications
    But like everyone else is saying, get in touch with unis direct, they might accept you and it doesn't hurt to get there advice one which way they suggest you go.
    There is an access website if it helps, not sure the address but google will find it
    I have A Levels and a HNC (level 4 qualification) and I am currently doing an access course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bunnyjo)
    I have A Levels and a HNC (level 4 qualification) and I am currently doing an access course.
    Ah, I stand corrected

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.