Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

how to deposit a cheque *reps* Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have got given a cheque for the first time in my life. How do I put it into my bank account. I don't have any of my chequebooks so can I just use my debit card?

ReputationRep:
    Take the cheque and your debit card into a branch. The staff there behind the glass will pay it into your account for you there and then. Remeber they take a few days to clear!

It really is that simple!

ReputationRep:
    What the above said. That's all you have to do. You don't even need to enter your PIN or anything.

ReputationRep:
    ok just another qu, this cheque is for my locum work for which I have a business account separate to my normal account. So I can take my cheque and still do it into my normal account and then transfer online

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ledleyking123)
    ok just another qu, this cheque is for my locum work for which I have a business account separate to my normal account. So I can take my cheque and still do it into my normal account and then transfer online
    Yes. Pay it into whichever account it is 'addressed to'. Then transfer the money online.

ReputationRep:
    its not addressed to any account its just addressed to my name
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    You may not need your debit card. You will however, need your bank details. You also either need your paying in book or fill in a slip.

Some banks (Natwest, for example) allow you to use a cash machine to pay your cheque or money in to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    You may not need your debit card. You will however, need your bank details. You also either need your paying in book or fill in a slip.

Some banks (Natwest, for example) allow you to use a cash machine to pay your cheque or money in to.
    I have neither. Hence, I was wondering if my card was enough.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    I have neither. Hence, I was wondering if my card was enough.
    You can get the paying in slip from your branch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    You can get the paying in slip from your branch.

but i have heard the debit card is enough....:confused:

ReputationRep:
    Go and ask them.

ReputationRep:
    If it's like my bank, it's really simple. You walk in, see the pay in slips at the counter, use one of the pens at the counter to fill the slip in and then give it to the person behind the glass and they do it?

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Emily what info do I need to fill in on the slip

Poll
Which pet is the best?
Useful resources
How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.