Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    So I have been accepted by Birmingham City University and Newman University College to do the Primary Teaching with QTS degree. Is anyone studying here at the moment? If so how do you rate the course? I want a uni that will put a lot of input in the practical part of teaching, planning lessons, managing behaviour etc. Any help would be great thanks

ReputationRep:
    hi im not studyin at the moment but noticed you applied for both bcu and newman. hope you dont mind me asking but what were the application process like for both as im applying for both but for 2014 entry just worried as im classed as a mature student as ill be 24 :/ trying to get as much info to prepare .

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Zozzo i have a get into newman guide thing i can forward you by email not sure u can tell me your email address on here though

ReputationRep:
    Hiya thanks cufflinkchick23 I've messaged you my email
    thank you sooo much xx

ReputationRep:
    Hey, not sure if you have found your answer yet as this was a while. A lot of people I know go to each Uni. Birmingham is very focused and intense on work placement. Newman is a mixture of teaching, presentations and work placement. From what people have told me, Birmingham Uni pretty much leave you to it and there isn't much help available if you're struggling with work etc whereas Newman have study support tutors available. Hope this helps

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you I'm going to apply to both and take it from there personally I like Newman slightly more than bcu because of having tutors willing to help if needed. X

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah! Aw well fingers crossed for you! Newman is a lovely Uni too!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cufflinkchick23)
    So I have been accepted by Birmingham City University and Newman University College to do the Primary Teaching with QTS degree. Is anyone studying here at the moment? If so how do you rate the course? I want a uni that will put a lot of input in the practical part of teaching, planning lessons, managing behaviour etc. Any help would be great thanks

Not sure about all the details but I've been to both interviews/open days and had offers off both. I chose Birmingham City because it was more practical and informal with workshops and lively environments.

I've heard Newman is not very organised with placements and it very academic, lots of lectures and so on.

I don't know about you, but I learn more by actually 'doing' rather than sitting in a lecture hall for hours. BCU has a better social atmosphere too!

ReputationRep:
    Good on you Steph. I ended up getting offers at both and chose BCU. It just seems more hands on. I was nervous as a lot of my friends have chose Newman and think Im mad. Think we have done the right thing though! See you there

ReputationRep:
    I had five offers at different universities but I chose BCU as I feel it is focused and supportive.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cufflinkchick23)
    Good on you Steph. I ended up getting offers at both and chose BCU. It just seems more hands on. I was nervous as a lot of my friends have chose Newman and think Im mad. Think we have done the right thing though! See you there
    Add me on Facebook: Steph Palmer

ReputationRep:
    I might be going to BCU its the perry barr campus isnt to do teaching? I've decided I want to go to uni full time and work during the evening are you all do primary school teaching? I have to apply through clearing though.

ReputationRep:
    My girlfriend went for an open day at Newman and found it absolutely terrible with loads of college kids running around. No idea on the teaching but the university (if you can even call it a university) is diabolical from what I have heard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by misstg777)
    I might be going to BCU its the perry barr campus isnt to do teaching? I've decided I want to go to uni full time and work during the evening are you all do primary school teaching? I have to apply through clearing though.
    It's unlikely there will be places for primary education through clearing :-/ worth a try though x

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've firmed my place at BCU for primary education but haven't received any reading lists or much information about the course since my offer and acceptance...

has anyone else??

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.