Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Dying your hair safely, what do you recommend? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey

I really want to dye my hair, not a completely different colour but i'm thinking one from the following: Rimini Lightest Brown, Florida Honey Blonde or Caramel. Basically down the lines of a darkish blonde/light brown. It is difficult to describe my natural hair colour which is what it is now, it is a lot like these colours although i do have the odd blonde streak and highlights. I've never 'dyed' my hair before, however i have 'highlighted' it a few months ago.
    All of the hair dyes above are from L'oreal which seems like a trustworthy brand as i have used some of their hair care products in the past. Has anyone dyed their hair using L'oreal, or even these colours? If so, do you like it? Would you recommend it to others?
    Also, i really want to maintain healthy hair and so would appreciate any advice about how to avoid damage. In addition, I've never dyed my hair before as i've said but had it highlited and was wondering if there was anything i should do or take into consideration first- is there? I've thought about semi-permenant but this would mean dying it again a few weeks later. How long does it take for the colour to fade and do you have to dye it again when your roots begin to grow through? As you can tell, I don't know much but I'm so concerned about damaging my hair permenantly

Thank-you guys sososososooo much, your help + advice is much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LittleMissyMe.x)
    Hey

I really want to dye my hair, not a completely different colour but i'm thinking one from the following: Rimini Lightest Brown, Florida Honey Blonde or Caramel. Basically down the lines of a darkish blonde/light brown. It is difficult to describe my natural hair colour which is what it is now, it is a lot like these colours although i do have the odd blonde streak and highlights. I've never 'dyed' my hair before, however i have 'highlighted' it a few months ago.
    All of the hair dyes above are from L'oreal which seems like a trustworthy brand as i have used some of their hair care products in the past. Has anyone dyed their hair using L'oreal, or even these colours? If so, do you like it? Would you recommend it to others?
    Also, i really want to maintain healthy hair and so would appreciate any advice about how to avoid damage. In addition, I've never dyed my hair before as i've said but had it highlited and was wondering if there was anything i should do or take into consideration first- is there? I've thought about semi-permenant but this would mean dying it again a few weeks later. How long does it take for the colour to fade and do you have to dye it again when your roots begin to grow through? As you can tell, I don't know much but I'm so concerned about damaging my hair permenantly

Hello :-D
    Always do a patch test!
    Semi permanent will last a few weeks and then "dull"
    I've never used l'oreal, I use the xxl one in the metallic blue box, always works great, easy to apply etc.
    As long as you aren't bleaching it every few weeks your hair should remain damage free :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LittleMissyMe.x)
    Hey

Using a box dye that doesn't contain bleach wont damage your hair as much as bleaching it would. Just make sure you deep condition and maybe use argan oil or something to keep the ends healthy.
    Make sure you do a patch test before you use the dye on your head incase you get an allergic reaction.
    You can't go lighter with semi-permenant dye.
    If you dye it darker with a semi the length of time it takes to fade will depend on your hair and how often you wash it, it can take anywhere between 2 weeks and 2 months for you to notice a fade. When I do mine (with permenant) I usually do my roots every 8-10 weeks and they are about an inch long by this point.
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    It shouldn't damage your hair if you're sensible with it. Try and dye it as little as possible - once every two months is what I would aim for when I dyed my whole head. Don't get sucked into a cycle of dying it dark, then light, then dark again. That will, and does, ruin your hair. Get it cut often too. The ends will get ugly and dry if you neglect them. I think it's always worth paying a bit more for a reliable brand of hair dye too, because you know what you're getting. I wouldn't trust the cheaper ones you get in pound shops, even though the price is appealing.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps some videos about hairstyle on youtube can give you some inspiration just like this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TnCJF432js

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.