The Student Room Group

Computer Science at UCL

Do I need Further Maths?
Reply 1
Nope. It might help, but you don't need it.
Reply 2
Would I get a conditional offer with maths, latin and economics/ancient history?
Reply 3
Original post by Kolasinac138
Would I get a conditional offer with maths, latin and economics/ancient history?

Offers depend on more than that. It'd be easier to make economics relevant to CS than ancient history, but having another science subject at AS (further maths if you're confident, or physics, or computing) might make you stand out a bit more.

Of course, you've also got to get the AS grades and A2 predictions, write a good personal statement relating your A-Level choices and interests to exactly why you want to study CS, and stand out at your interview if you have one. :smile:
Reply 4
I'm doing Further Maths AS. :smile: But With Maths, Latin and A.H do you think I could get in?
Reply 5
Would I be given a offer with maths, I.T and business level 3 which is a double and a possible as level such as physics?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
I doubt it, business is viewed as a 'black list' subject:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2010/aug/20/a-level-subjects-blacklist-claim

Also, I think IT is too, Computing is much better, if that is what you mean. But you would probably get an offer from Maths and AS Physics to be honest.
Reply 7
Original post by Kolasinac138
I doubt it, business is viewed as a 'black list' subject:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2010/aug/20/a-level-subjects-blacklist-claim

Also, I think IT is too, Computing is much better, if that is what you mean. But you would probably get an offer from Maths and AS Physics to be honest.

Tbh I'm not looking to apply for Cambridge or Oxford
I'm looking at Surrey, Brunel, maybe Manchester, erm don't know about the rest, possibly UCL and city
And by the way the business is level 3 btec double award

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I live quite close to Surrey, but I doubt i'll apply. It's 22nd in the country or something.
Reply 9
can anyone help? do i need f.math?
Reply 10
According to their website, no, you don't need it. However, if you're applying next year, there is a risk their policy may change, whatever it is now.

To be frank, by far and away the best thing, given your unusual subject mix, is to drop UCL a line directly, asking the CS admissions tutor(s) whether they'd be interested, in principle, in your subject mix without Further Maths.

No amount of double-guessing here will be useful, compared to asking UCL themselves.

George

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending