Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Fast Furious films : Do you consider those cars chavvy to? Watch

ReputationRep:
    The thing I don't like about modded cars is that they shout 'look at me! I can't afford a better car with a better engine, so I'm just going to have to stick a plastic bodykit on it and pretend I do!'

I personally prefer stock cars, think they look much more understated, and provided you've got the right car- you don't need to mod it up. It's a statement and a powerful machine as it is.

Gotta add though, I love the fast and furious films! But mainly for the action - i'd never really want cars like those myself...

(Original post by DR. Pepper)
    So people dis modded cars branding them chavvy but also think the cars are awesome? what???
    Subjectivity; it's only a "dis" if you think being "chavvy" is inherently bad. I don't think that's necessarily true.

The whole "boy racer" / "awesome cars" scene is, let's face it, on the chavvy side. But so what?? Enjoying one chavvy thing does not make you "a chav" any more than, say, enjoying a few metal bands makes you "a goth". You need to stop caring so much about how you (or other people) are "branded" and have the confidence to just like what you like.

(Original post by Nuffles)
    I'm starting to think you're a troll, this really isn't that hard.

If you want a decently fast car, you start with a good platform. Even 90% of sleepers start with a good-sized saloon or estate with RWD/AWD and at least a 2L+ engine. If you start with a Fiesta or Ka, it's never going to be that fast, it just isn't. The suspension is wrong. The gearbox is wrong. The engine is wrong.

Also, most of the time you can tell from looking at a car (unless it's a sleeper) whether or not the mods actually make it go faster. A spoiler does nothing unless you're cornering at over a ton. Most cars with spoilers don't go fast enough to actually have any use. Expensive alloys that are both strong and light, look expensive. Cheap-ass alloys from Halfords that are both heavier and weaker than the stock steel wheels look it from a mile off, mainly because they're so tacky.

The exhaust note from a highly runed race engine is entirely different to that of a 1.2 litre ****-box with a fat pipe on the back.

This is chavvy:

-Generally tacky as ****

This is a nicely modified car:

Nice older M3, BBS wheels, subtle bumpers and skirts, probably dropped a little, nicely tuned engine under the bonnet. The main difference is that M3 would absolutely destroy any Saxo or Fiesta on a track.
    So is this:

Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laomedeia)
    So is this:

That's in a whole other category of 'fun projects'. If you have the money, time, and expertise to do something insane, and more importantly different, with your car then go right ahead, IMO.

ReputationRep:
    The original FnF cars were spectacularly tacky:
    Name:  my-real-car-collection-2-fast-2-furious-17624413-600-450.jpg
Views: 10840
Size:  163.0 KB

The more recent films are slightly better, with a wider focus including muscle cars and exotic supercars. But they are built purely for cinematic spectacle and don't represent the vast majority of modified cars.

ReputationRep:
    I consider the Japanese ones to be extremely chavvy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Lexarse lights and a fibreglass spoiler does not a modified car make.

1000+bhp street legal muscle pulling a wheel stand is impressive.

Is that the F-Bomb Camaro?

It is owned by David Freiburger of Hot Road Magazine and is running 1500 bhp with a twin turbo V8.

Turned down to 700 bhp for road use. It is an awesome machine!

OP - there is a distinct division between a well modified performance orientated car, and a tacky hatchback with Lexus lights and 4 exhausts. Some of the Fast and Furious cars are awesome IMO

ReputationRep:
    What you have to remember is that "chav cars" once fell into the Max Power genre of car modifications.

Fast and The Furious 1&2 featured cars based off this ideal, the majority of cars are made to look like Max Power modded cars as it was the cool thing to do at the time. Even the fastest cars from the first one are now typically considered as modded in poor taste, for example the F&F R34 GTR...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ff2-1.jpg 
Views:	3001 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	210110

Vs the modernly modded R34...

Name:	71416_10151567878761329_2112679182_n.jpg 
Views:	4366 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	210111

Nowadays the popular thing is to have subtle mods so that it looks as OEM as possible. The "best looking" cars are OEM+ modded cars so that they look as similar as possible whilst looking as good as possible.

The latest Fast and The Furious films have reflected this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 01Chris02)
    What you have to remember is that "chav cars" once fell into the Max Power genre of car modifications.

Fast and The Furious 1&2 featured cars based off this ideal, the majority of cars are made to look like Max Power modded cars as it was the cool thing to do at the time. Even the fastest cars from the first one are now typically considered as modded in poor taste, for example the F&F R34 GTR, which is now regarded as being modded in poor taste...

Name:	Ff2-1.jpg 
Views:	3001 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	210110

Vs the modernly modded R34...

Name:	71416_10151567878761329_2112679182_n.jpg 
Views:	4366 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	210111

Nowadays the popular thing is to have subtle mods so that it looks as OEM as possible. The best looking cars are OEM+ modded cars so that they look as similar as possible whilst looking as good as possible.

The latest Fast and The Furious films have reflected this.

Valid points, but you can't knock what folk were doing a few years ago just because it doesn't suit your tastes now.
    Look at what people were doing in the 70's? Rear jack up kits, roof chops, laker pipes, fake fur interiors and whip ariels!

... and before that the "gasser" style was very much thing i.e junk the front axle, stick a beam axle under there with little wheels and get the nose up as high as you can.

I think the point is you just have to take a modified car for what it is and appreciate them set against the era they were constructed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Valid points, but you can't knock what folk were doing a few years ago just because it doesn't suit your tastes now.
    Look at what people were doing in the 70's? Rear jack up kits, roof chops, laker pipes, fake fur interiors and whip ariels!

... and before that the "gasser" style was very much thing i.e junk the front axle, stick a beam axle under there with little wheels and get the nose up as high as you can.

I think the point is you just have to take a modified car for what it is and appreciate them set against the era they were constructed.
    I'm not sure what your point is because I agree with what you're saying and it's essentially what I was trying to say.

I'm not involving my own personal tastes in the matter (Apart from when I said "best looking" as I really liked that R34 :rolleyes:); I personally quite like the old Max Power supra I posted but that doesn't change the fact that it's no longer considered "cool" and it's now regarded as "chavy" or "tacky" simply because it's associated with being used by people who are of a particular personality (Hard lads).

The cars you've posted are now, what I would consider to be vintage. Even the modified ones are classics of their era.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DR. Pepper)
    So you think the cars on those films are horrible and despite them modified cars being worth thousands & thousands of $/£'s you think they are for Chavs ( poor people?
    Jesus wept. There is a lot more to being a chav than simply being poor.

ReputationRep:
    Rear wings that are more for show than generating downforce makes a car chavvy.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 19, 2013
Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.