Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I'm a black guy currently doing my A2's and both my firm and insurance university choices are in the Russell Group.
    Having visited both of these Universities as well as another 1994 group University I was kinda shocked by how few black students I saw and I'm writing this thread mainly to ask about the experience of a black student at a Russell Group University so I know what to expect when I start.

I didn't really worry about this until I read an article (link at bottom) where black students at Russell Group Uni's felt that the chance of experiencing racism at a Russell Group being higher than for other Uni's, due to there being fewer black students at these uni's.

Is the article just misleading? or is the experience of being a black student at a Russell Group Uni a tougher one than being a white (or any other race) student

Anyone feel free to respond whatever race, uni age etc if it will help.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...-feel-left-out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IEMM)
    Hi all,

I'm a black guy currently doing my A2's and both my firm and insurance university choices are in the Russell Group.
    Having visited both of these Universities as well as another 1994 group University I was kinda shocked by how few black students I saw and I'm writing this thread mainly to ask about the experience of a black student at a Russell Group University so I know what to expect when I start.

I didn't really worry about this until I read an article (link at bottom) where black students at Russell Group Uni's felt that the chance of experiencing racism at a Russell Group being higher than for other Uni's, due to there being fewer black students at these uni's.

Is the article just misleading? or is the experience of being a black student at a Russell Group Uni a tougher one than being a white (or any other race) student

Anyone feel free to respond whatever race, uni age etc if it will help.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...-feel-left-out
    Hello IEMM,

I'm white british so I can't help you out with personal experiences of racism, but I do think that the media tends to be rather hyped and sensationalist about issues such as this. I had many friends at uni who were not white and I can't really say as I gave their ethnic origin or race any thought at all.

Statistically it is true that the universities with higher entry requirements have fewer ethnic minority students, but this is largely down to socio-economic differences in society rather than prejudice by the universities. Unfortunately racism can happen anywhere, so I would not let it influence your decision too much. If anything, you would think that higher levels of education should lead to more tolerant views on issues such as race.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.