Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

"Just friends" Watch

Keep anon please

I'll keep this short. Guy A meets Girl B, likes Girl B. Spends months dillydaddling about, finally tells her. Finds out Girl B 'did' like Guy A for a while when they met, but...gave up waiting? (woe is Guy A). Girl B just wants to be friends for now. Guy A accepts decision, but down (understandably) about it as well (and, kicking himself taking so long. Painful lesson learnt). Both still get on just as well as they did before, genuinely being friends. Guy A though still hopes (foolishly?) he might have a chance. Hears lots of conflicting advice from different sides on what to do.

Should Guy A:
    Keep hanging around with her, being friends & move on by/and meet other people
    Keep hanging around with her, in the hope something changes/develops
    Distance himself from her to get over her
    Distance himself from her to 'play games'
    Cut contact (no thanks)
    Wait a few weeks, then try again more slowly, asking her out on a small, 'friendly' date

ReputationRep:
    keep being mates with her but meet other potential girlfriends as well just in case it never happens with her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Keep anon please

I'll keep this short. Guy A meets Girl B, likes Girl B. Spends months dillydaddling about, finally tells her. Finds out Girl B 'did' like Guy A for a while when they met, but...gave up waiting? (woe is Guy A). Girl B just wants to be friends for now. Guy A accepts decision, but down (understandably) about it as well (and, kicking himself taking so long. Painful lesson learnt). Both still get on just as well as they did before, genuinely being friends. Guy A though still hopes (foolishly?) he might have a chance. Hears lots of conflicting advice from different sides on what to do.

Should Guy A:
    Cut contact (no thanks)
    Wait a few weeks, then try again more slowly, asking her out on a small, 'friendly' date
    Keep hanging around with her... you may be lucky and she could change her mind, but it also keeps your options open for if you did find someone

ReputationRep:
    Keep anon please

Should Guy A:
    Cut contact (no thanks)
    Do I have any life lines left? Phone a friend?

I think guy A should Keep hanging around with her, being friends & move on by/and meet other people but at the same time hope something develops which it probably wont so that's why they need to move on. But don't lose the friendship, it would be being a jerk to just cut contact because you couldn't get into her pants.

ReputationRep:
    Cut contact, she see's you as a friend, she always will.

Whiteknights gon whiteknight.

ReputationRep:
    Girl B is now ****ing Guy C

ReputationRep:
    love equals brain surgery with no anestetics.....

ReputationRep:
    cut all contact completely

ReputationRep:
    Mixture of Options 1 and 3. Stay friends, but try to distance yourself emotionally a bit. If a girl says she isn't looking for anything right now, the last thing that will change her mind is attempting to convince her otherwise. I'd advise you to avoid too much contact with her right now, just to lessen your pain and give her room to think. Stay on good terms and everything, but don't meet up too often and don't think about her too much. Then hopefully in a few months you can reassess what you feel (and maybe so can she) and see where you stand.

There is a chance for you guys, as there always is, but that depends purely on her. There's no point holding out for it, cause there's nothing you can do (except drive her away). I think your best option is just move on, rather than hope for something that may well never happen.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't listen to people on here telling you to hang around her. If you're unhappy with your current relationship dynamics (her not reciprocating your interest), then it is up to you to cut your losses and move on by cutting all contact. Things won't change if you keep on seeing her when she is unable to provide the reciprocation that you desire.

ReputationRep:
    Keep anon please

Should Guy A:
    Cut contact (no thanks)
    If there was once an attraction there, then there is a chance that it will come back. So stay friends, but try to progress the friendship a bit more, so that she doesn't see you purely as just a friend

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joe909)
    Cut contact, she see's you as a friend, she always will.

Whiteknights gon whiteknight.
    not sheriff srs..

keep the girl B around and smash her friends/10

only tell him to cut contact if he has dat dere onitis of peace

ReputationRep:
    Do what girls do... Play hard to get and she'll come running

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Keep anon please

Should Guy A:
    Cut contact (no thanks)

Once you're in the friends zone there's no coming out of it, I've been in your situation many times before, what I do is just talk to them from time to time keeping it friendly while going out and meeting other girls.

ReputationRep:
    Stay her friend (don't be a jerk and just drop her) and see what happens. If she liked you before, there's. chance she will again. If she doesn't like you, you can have both female friends and a girlfriend at the same time... It is allowed. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma_Janneve)
    Do what girls do... Play hard to get and she'll come running

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Problem with that is that it can mislead the other into either not being interested in them or just wishing to be friends with that person.

This sounds identical to a situation I'm in, to the extent that I'm wondering if OP is my friend. So from the perspective of Girl B: Please don't cut contact, or "play games" unless you really want to. I'm sure she really appreciates your friendship. At the same time, if she really wants a relationship, she would have said yes the first time, so I think there's little chance that the friendship would turn into something more. So stick around if you're happy just to stay friends.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PatheticVirgin)
    not sheriff srs..

keep the girl B around and smash her friends/10

only tell him to cut contact if he has dat dere onitis of peace
    Strong correlation between username and advice - Stay safe.

Strong everything in this post.

Clearly this bish is his oneitis, dat der emotional attachment. He would have already cut contact if he was just in it for the sloots nomsayin'?

Learn from this OP, disregard oneitis, aquire sloots.

Thank you for the advice everyone I think I know now what I'm going to do, even though it'll be hard at first.

ReputationRep:
    Keep anon please

I'll keep this short. Guy A meets Girl B, likes Girl B. Spends months dillydaddling about, finally tells her.

Should Guy A:
    Whichever option you choose, don't do this again. If you like Girl C, make it obvious immediately instead of pretending you just want to be her friend for months and then being surprised that she just wants to be your friend.

That does not involve 'telling her that you like her'. Telling someone you like them is what people do in year 9 at Secondary School.

Sorry if that sounds harsh.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 11, 2013
Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.