Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hey, i'm currently an A-level student hoping to go university this September. Everyone in my college is going on about applying for this application called access to learning fund or something which helps lower your grades, (if your applicable) required for university and I want to know exactly what it is and what it does if someone can please tell me, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TJ_TheMan)
    Hey, i'm currently an A-level student hoping to go university this September. Everyone in my college is going on about applying for this application called access to learning fund or something which helps lower your grades, (if your applicable) required for university and I want to know exactly what it is and what it does if someone can please tell me, thanks!
    Have you seen the information here? https://www.gov.uk/access-to-learning-fund/overview

As far as I am aware, it's more about providing financial support to students rather than reducing offer requirements, though it may also open doors to support from Widening Participation umbrella projects run by university admissions offices.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    As far as I'm aware, this has nothing to do with your grades. It's given if you need it. There are certain groups which are given priority.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, i understand thanks, I think I got it mixed up with some other form of application. I will look into it, thanks again.

ReputationRep:
    I think I'm going to apply for this a King's, just wondering if anyone with any experience of it could hazard a guess as to whether or not I'll be succesful, and if so, to how much of the fund will I be entitled.

I will be starting a 5-year Medicine course in September. However it will be my second degree, as I completed a Law degree in 2010.

With it being my second degree I will not be eligible for the tuition fee loan, meaning I will have to cover these myself ($9 per year - sorry, there's no sterling sign on this keyboard).

I will be applying for the maintenane loan, and I think I will be classified as financially independent as I have been working for 3 years. Which means I the maintenance loan I receive should NOT be means tested based upon my parents income, meaning I should be eligible for the full $7,500 (in London).

I plan on using this, and the $5,000 I should have in savings by September to cover the first 4 years of my tuition fee's. Which will leave me with pretty much zero left to live off. I will be working part-time during my course, but this won't cover all of my rent ect.

Does anybody know what the University criteria is when they award funds? I imagine they look at your savings, but will they take into account the fact that my $5,000 savings are purely to contribute towards my tuition fees?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I think that's "Access to Leeds", any ideas which other geographical areas follow this programme

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lisashoxx)
    I think that's "Access to Leeds", any ideas which other geographical areas follow this programme
    No, it's "Access to LEARNING" and it's a national scheme:

https://www.gov.uk/access-to-learning-fund/overview

However it is administered by each university individually. They decide your eligibility and how much money you will get.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    No, it's "Access to LEARNING" and it's a national scheme:

https://www.gov.uk/access-to-learning-fund/overview

However it is administered by each university individually. They decide your eligibility and how much money you will get.
    Except I think you'll find that the enquiry is about access to Leeds which lowers your grades if you're from certain areas .

http://www.leeds.ac.uk/info/125096/a...ccess_to_leeds

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.