Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

I don't want a relationship but can't help feeling like something is missing? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I was in an 8 month relationship and got dumped in Janurary, I got over it suprisingly quick and am suprised that I don't even feel anything towards the guy I was with anymore. Since then I've had a few guys wanting to go out with me, or rather hinting that they do, and flirting. I have made it very clear to these guys that I don't want a relationship right now, one of my friends even joked I was friendzoning one of them. I don't want it to seem that way but I don't see them as anything more than friends. I don't want to go out with someone just for the sake of having a boyfriend because I don't feel like that's right when I don't feel anything towards them. I've had some guys ask to take me out but I don't feel like that would be right when I feel like I'd be getting their hopes up. I think it's the fact that I want to concentrate on my a levels when I start them in september (I'm 17 this month) and concentrate on going to uni. I'm pretty sure I don't want a relationship right now, either that or someone hasn't come along yet that I can take an interest in. I feel like something is missing but I'm not really sure what it is. I have friends & family I spend a lot of time with. Maybe it's just missing loving someone or being close with someone. Has anyone else felt like this and is it normal?

ReputationRep:
    It's completely normal and I wouldn't worry about it. You may not have feelings towards your ex anymore but that doesn't change that he was a big part of your life for 8 months so of course it will feel strange and as if something is missing. Just know that the feel will eventually fade until its something you stop even thinking about. Things like this just take time.

ReputationRep:
    I feel exactly the same. Don't want a relationship but feel lonely without one. I think it's to do with the pressure that a lot of friends have relationships and when they're seeing their other half, we have nobody to see so sometimes feel a bit left out!

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry i'm in the same boat me and my long term boyfriend finished in October when he went to University and i've also had the 'friendzone' problem.

Just go with the flow, concentrate on school as I do and you never know what may come a long

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iJess)
    I was in an 8 month relationship and got dumped in Janurary, I got over it suprisingly quick and am suprised that I don't even feel anything towards the guy I was with anymore. Since then I've had a few guys wanting to go out with me, or rather hinting that they do, and flirting. I have made it very clear to these guys that I don't want a relationship right now, one of my friends even joked I was friendzoning one of them. I don't want it to seem that way but I don't see them as anything more than friends. I don't want to go out with someone just for the sake of having a boyfriend because I don't feel like that's right when I don't feel anything towards them. I've had some guys ask to take me out but I don't feel like that would be right when I feel like I'd be getting their hopes up. I think it's the fact that I want to concentrate on my a levels when I start them in september (I'm 17 this month) and concentrate on going to uni. I'm pretty sure I don't want a relationship right now, either that or someone hasn't come along yet that I can take an interest in. I feel like something is missing but I'm not really sure what it is. I have friends & family I spend a lot of time with. Maybe it's just missing loving someone or being close with someone. Has anyone else felt like this and is it normal?
    I used to find that I felt lonely when I was single and didn't have anyone I fancied. Whether they liked me back or not. Just having that person who gives you butterfly's in your stomach. I would miss it, I know it might seem really sad or weird because they wouldn't like me in return, but it would just be the pure happiness that would shoot through you when you see them. That's what I missed

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 11, 2013
Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.