Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Suggestions for a "fun" car 14k budget? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Thinking about selling up our fun cars and having a complete change.
    Trouble is we've had so many different things I'm not really sure what to try next.
    This is NOT going to be a daily driver so practicality / fuel consumption / running costs etc aren't particularly a concern. Although, being able to achieve at least fifteen mpg would be nice and realistically anything physically bigger than a 3 series won't fit on my drive anyway. (We've already attempted to get a Bentley Turbo on there and it wouldn't fit width wise unfortunately and whilst something the size of a Jaguar XJ6 / 7 series will fit there isn't enough room to actually get out!).

Requirements:
    - Budget is between 7k and a max of 14k.
    - Classic or Modern I'm not too fussed so long as it's not older than 1965.
    - Must be "interesting" and a bit "special" i.e no hatchbacks what-so-ever. Not even quick ones. Happy to look at any other bodystyle, though?
    - Spares avaliability must be very good to excellent.
    - Not too slow.
    - Not 'chavtastic'
    - The ability to tow a 500kg trailer would be *nice* but NOT essential.

Current cars on the list:

MGA Coupe (making an exception on the age limit here)
    MGC GT
    Triumph TR6 (current favorit)
    BMW E46 M3
    Triumph 2500 estate
    BMW 135i coupe

Anyone got any other suggestions that might be worth looking at?
    Thanks in advance,

JC.

If you can stretch another foot in length over the E46 M3 you could have an E39 M5.

Otherwise, to rattle a few names off, TVR Cerbera or Chimaera, Lotus Elise, BMW Z4M, Nissan 350Z GT, Audi B5 RS4 or C5 RS6, Mercedes CLK55.

ReputationRep:
    RV8

Although perhaps falls down slightly on the spares availability front

ReputationRep:
    Mercedes-Benz C Class C220 CDI SE 4dr

Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    An rx7 or a twin turbo supra should be within that budget

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    What about a lotus? They tend to hold their value but don't know if you will be able to get 1 in ur budget maybe stretch a lil

ReputationRep:
    Caterham?

ReputationRep:
    Porsche Carrera or a Boxster.
    Lotus Elise
    Caterham Super Seven
    Lancia Delta (probably a nightmare tbh, but who wouldn't want one?)

ReputationRep:
    Alfa Romeo Spider? Might be in the same class of 'nightmare' as the Lancia mikeyd85 suggested though.

ReputationRep:
    E39 M5, SL 350, Maserati 4200, Jag XKR?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Porsche Carrera or a Boxster.
    Or a 928? Nice '80s grand tourer, certainly not slow.

Or if you want a really daft suggestion you could look at TVRs, make sure you factor in life insurance.

I don't think it would be your sort of thing, but you could probably get a nice Impreza or Mitsubishi Evo in budget.

No idea if you'd get one in budget but the Sunbeam Lotus has just popped into my head.

Or how about getting an MX5 and spending the rest on a supercharger?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KCLeblanc)
    Or a 928? Nice '80s grand tourer, certainly not slow.

Or if you want a really daft suggestion you could look at TVRs, make sure you factor in life insurance.

I don't think it would be your sort of thing, but you could probably get a nice Impreza or Mitsubishi Evo in budget.

No idea if you'd get one in budget but the Sunbeam Lotus has just popped into my head.

Or how about getting an MX5 and spending the rest of a supercharger?

+1 to lotus !!!

ReputationRep:
    You could probably get a decent secondhand Boxster or Z4 for that money

ReputationRep:
    Esprit? Especially the Esprit Turbo. Won't tow a trailer though - exhaust runs across the rear. Plenty of opportunity to get the spanners out too!
    TVR - T350 if you can find one in budget!
    Maserati 3200GT?
    I'm guessing it won't be staying for too long anyway!

ReputationRep:
    I take back my previous suggestions. TVR all the way

ReputationRep:
    TVR's require serious maintenance, but it you can get your head over the unreliability, it's got to be your best shot.
    Lotus is a good bet, but I believe some are on the 'expensive' side at the moment.
    Boxster for your budget does not fit unless it's a high miler and you really want the 3.4, not the 3.2.

BMW 135? Yeah I can't see it. Very girly. Might as well consider the A3 cab then!

For your sums, and with your fixation on larger engines, I don;t think you can go far wrong with a CLK55 Coupe on 60k, or, a CL55 even. Both have engine noises to die for.

ReputationRep:
    Some interesting suggestions coming in - some we've rejected out of hand, some we've already considered and rejected and some that we'd not considered at all and have gone on the list.

Z4 / Z4 Coupe has gone on the list of possibles so thanks for that suggestion. Nic quite liked the Alpina version too.

Caterham would have gone on the list but for the fact that after having taken a few measurements I realised it won't get up the steep slope to the service area at the top of my drive and the fact that we'd have to book in to a LOT of track days to make ownership worth while given that the weather protection is going to limit use quite a bit. Good call none the less.

Porches 911's / 928 / Boxster were all great suggestions - only problem is we've both done them to death. Between us we've had 3 911's, A boxster S and 3 944's. We seriously looked into a 928 a couple of years back actually and they are really strange cars - not quite soft enough to be a cruiser but not communicative enough to be a sports tourer.

TVR's are again a good shout but Nic doesn't fit in a wedge and I cant stand the S1/S2/S3. I've looked at cerberas in the past, got close to dealing up and thought "nah" and I think we've both ruled Chimps out on how common they seem to be around here. Good shout, none the less as they tick a lot of boxes.

We've dismissed the lotus range prior to me making the thread along with the quick jap stuff - evo / skyline / scooby / supra et al... I'm sure they are very good but just not our sort of thing.

Keep the suggestions coming guys but we'll leave stupid comments like "thats a girly car" alone, please. Having owned everything from a Morris Marina to a 911 and most things in between, last I checked what you keep in your pants doesn't have any bearing on choosing a car.

ReputationRep:
    Spending some time on autotrader. Amazing how enjoyable it is when its not your money! I'm making these suggestions without knowledge of spares availability so appologies if some are inappropriate.

Camaro? http://www2.autotrader.co.uk/classif...ge/1?logcode=p

Ferrari Mondial? http://www2.autotrader.co.uk/classif...1501?logcode=p

Morgan Roadster? http://www2.autotrader.co.uk/classif...81qp?logcode=p

Presumably if Caterham is out so is a Westfield?

Pontiac Solstice is certainly a bit different. Though spares may be an issue? http://www2.autotrader.co.uk/classif...81qp?logcode=p

ReputationRep:
    Good luck at getting a 135i if £14k's your upper limit, even eBay only threw up just the one at sub £14k.......

However I have no ideas what they're like at auction.

Personally? Z4 Msport, 3.0l.

Found a 3.2 under £14k, here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dhr90)
    Spending some time on autotrader. Amazing how enjoyable it is when its not your money! I'm making these suggestions without knowledge of spares availability so appologies if some are inappropriate.

Camaro? http://www2.autotrader.co.uk/classif...ge/1?logcode=p

Ferrari Mondial? http://www2.autotrader.co.uk/classif...1501?logcode=p

Morgan Roadster? http://www2.autotrader.co.uk/classif...81qp?logcode=p

Presumably if Caterham is out so is a Westfield?

Pontiac Solstice is certainly a bit different. Though spares may be an issue? http://www2.autotrader.co.uk/classif...81qp?logcode=p
    That camaro is gorgeous!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 14, 2013
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.