Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Suggestions for a "fun" car 14k budget? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Would this squeeze onto your driveway?

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...om-new/1149957

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Some interesting suggestions coming in - some we've rejected out of hand, some we've already considered and rejected and some that we'd not considered at all and have gone on the list.

Z4 / Z4 Coupe has gone on the list of possibles so thanks for that suggestion. Nic quite liked the Alpina version too.

Caterham would have gone on the list but for the fact that after having taken a few measurements I realised it won't get up the steep slope to the service area at the top of my drive and the fact that we'd have to book in to a LOT of track days to make ownership worth while given that the weather protection is going to limit use quite a bit. Good call none the less.

Porches 911's / 928 / Boxster were all great suggestions - only problem is we've both done them to death. Between us we've had 3 911's, A boxster S and 3 944's. We seriously looked into a 928 a couple of years back actually and they are really strange cars - not quite soft enough to be a cruiser but not communicative enough to be a sports tourer.

TVR's are again a good shout but Nic doesn't fit in a wedge and I cant stand the S1/S2/S3. I've looked at cerberas in the past, got close to dealing up and thought "nah" and I think we've both ruled Chimps out on how common they seem to be around here. Good shout, none the less as they tick a lot of boxes.

We've dismissed the lotus range prior to me making the thread along with the quick jap stuff - evo / skyline / scooby / supra et al... I'm sure they are very good but just not our sort of thing.

Keep the suggestions coming guys but we'll leave stupid comments like "thats a girly car" alone, please. Having owned everything from a Morris Marina to a 911 and most things in between, last I checked what you keep in your pants doesn't have any bearing on choosing a car.

AC Cobra

Was also going say Cadillacs but they can be a bit large, or pick up a older Maserati and drive in class

ReputationRep:
    You'll never get more fun within your budget than with a Caterham. This is not argument, but a statement of fact.

To the people who keep suggesting these yob cars (Supra, Evo, Impreza WRX, etc.): Please go trolling elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by parfait)
    To the people who keep suggesting these yob cars (Supra, Evo, Impreza WRX, etc.): Please go trolling elsewhere.
    James May is in the house y'all! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    This is a serious suggestion, inspired by a school friend who actually did it.

But you could by and Ex Army Land Rover? They come in different conditions, but since the Army is starting to phase them out, the surplus is out there! And it would be pretty dang cool!

ReputationRep:
    Ford Mustang? :beard: Certainly ticks the "a bit different" box.

Subaru Impreza. There bound to be an old one going for your budget somewhere.

Edit: Ok screw the subaru. You could try getting a tuned up MX5 or if you can push your budget a but then try a vauxhall lotus carlton. I would stay away from old american classic tho, I dont know much about them personally but I hear their handling isnt the best and they aint very reliable.

ReputationRep:
    Parfait, why do you regard suggestions of evo, supra etc trolling?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure this is what you're looking for, from your requirements, but my first thought was an S2000. They look great fun.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    AC Cobra

Was also going say Cadillacs but they can be a bit large, or pick up a older Maserati and drive in class
    I was going to suggest a Cobra, a garage near me has one for sale. Only £22k...

ReputationRep:
    Just a few random choices I can think of on the top of my head, not all match your criteria exactly -

Volkswagen Karmann Ghia - fairly slow but beautiful and is easy to maintain with good parts supply.

Porsche 914 - oddball choice as long as you don't mind LHD.

Audi Quattro UR

Lancia Fulvia or Alfa Romeo Guiletta - not really your thing I think and no doubt they would be a nightmare to own but both are dream cars of mine.

Volvo P1800 - I think spares are hard to find.

BMW 635 - too big?

I also agree with the idea of a Triumph 2500 always loved those.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...48bl?logcode=p Audi Quattro

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...48bl?logcode=a BMW Z3

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...rs?logcode=flp Subaru Impreza

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InconspicuousGuy)
    Parfait, why do you regard suggestions of evo, supra etc trolling?

Because of what OP stated:

(Original post by JC.)
    Requirements:
    - Not 'chavtastic'

ReputationRep:
    XK8 Convertible, easily within budget and GAWJUS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Thinking about selling up our fun cars and having a complete change.
    Trouble is we've had so many different things I'm not really sure what to try next.
    This is NOT going to be a daily driver so practicality / fuel consumption / running costs etc aren't particularly a concern. Although, being able to achieve at least fifteen mpg would be nice and realistically anything physically bigger than a 3 series won't fit on my drive anyway. (We've already attempted to get a Bentley Turbo on there and it wouldn't fit width wise unfortunately and whilst something the size of a Jaguar XJ6 / 7 series will fit there isn't enough room to actually get out!).

Requirements:
    - Budget is between 7k and a max of 14k.
    - Classic or Modern I'm not too fussed so long as it's not older than 1965.
    - Must be "interesting" and a bit "special" i.e no hatchbacks what-so-ever. Not even quick ones. Happy to look at any other bodystyle, though?
    - Spares avaliability must be very good to excellent.
    - Not too slow.
    - Not 'chavtastic'
    - The ability to tow a 500kg trailer would be *nice* but NOT essential.

Current cars on the list:

MGA Coupe (making an exception on the age limit here)
    MGC GT
    Triumph TR6 (current favorit)
    BMW E46 M3
    Triumph 2500 estate
    BMW 135i coupe

Anyone got any other suggestions that might be worth looking at?
    Thanks in advance,

JC.
    Wish I had that sort of money to spend on a car. Hopefully soon.

Probably a bit out of your budget, but Honda NSX

ReputationRep:
    Lancia Delta

ReputationRep:
    Vauxhall VX220?

ReputationRep:
    Very random suggestion... BMW 8series??
    Pretty thirsty, not that practical, but there's something I just love about it!!

ReputationRep:
    Some great suggestions coming, guys. Keep them coming.

Must admit the Camero has me tempted. We did look at another camaro recently (this one) http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C366985 but rejected that on the basis that it was a 6 cylinder.

ReputationRep:
    Id almost definitely get the 1 series BMW

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 14, 2013
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.